Perfume prices Am I a miser? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Has anybody bought any perfume for their wives recently.

Bought her some for birthday just gone, £55 for a small bottle, the lady in the shop said smell that isn't it lovely?

Err ''No, it smells all the same to me.

Is it just expensive flavoured water that cost 50pence to produce or am I a tight fisted Yorkshire skinflint?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am with you on the £55 being too much, but buy at sale price £30 doesn't seem too bad to me :)(y)

and I don't do books

might do jarmies but they have to be brushed cotton these days :LOL:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I know what you mean, I buy Sharp perfume and she likes the expensive stuff £70+ and sometimes I see her spraying it around like air-freshener.....:eek:

On another side of that she buys me designer aftershave and people do comment on it....:roflmto:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
You spend all that money - cash you could use to buy something really nice for your motorhome - and do wives ever thank you for it? They do not. My wife was always complaining about how long it takes to clean the kitchen floor so out of the generosity of my heart - and from my own hard-earned money - I bought her an electric mop one Christmas. It cost about £150! For all the thanks I got, I might just as well have bought her something completely useless like scent at £55 and spent the savings on some camera equipment. Pah!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Buy her some of this =

And stick a "Channel No5" label on...

She wont notice the difference... (y)

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I am with you on the £55 being too much, but buy at sale price £30 doesn't seem too bad to me :)(y)

and I don't do books

might do jarmies but they have to be brushed cotton these days :LOL:

A man after my own heart David, I need to look at the sales I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
It’s all crap,don’t buy it. Unless you want to get your leg over,in which case,buy loads of it.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
'Scent' is a two-way thing. Nothin' nicer than a lady smelling nice; it's erotic even, so just call it an investment!

Some stores do gift wrapping FOC. Particularly at this time of year. AND, a nice expensive bottle looks good on the dressing table. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

There's a lot to this parfum malarkey though, it's not just a bottle of jollop to them. They have 'light' perfumes for summer and different fragrances for different occasions. It's complicated.

As an aside, I find perfumes seductive. For some, it's bosoms, for others, it's legs or derrières, but for me, it's heavy perfumes; the sort that you can stand a chair up in after the lady walks past you in the street! My favourite used to be Charlie. Don't know if they do it any more? One's clothes used to smell like a tart's boudoir for days after and served as a reminder of the night of amour, days before. The equivalent today is something like Black Opium by Yves Saint Laurent.

£55 ? That's only just over a quid a week. Get down to the Hight Street and buy some. She'll love it!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have my orders on perfume for Christmas, it's a lot more than £55, but still cheaper than last year's present. To be fair the van got a new AC compressor this year and is being fitted with a new throttle body next week, a lot more than the cost of the perfume!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Just paid £50 for 100ml but she can't think of anything else and it saves me trying to think of something else and I am a tight fisted Yorkshire man. She didn't want a compressor.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Has anybody bought any perfume for their wives recently.

Bought her some for birthday just gone, £55 for a small bottle, the lady in the shop said smell that isn't it lovely?

Err ''No, it smells all the same to me.

Is it just expensive flavoured water that cost 50pence to produce or am I a tight fisted Yorkshire skinflint?

Its so people can tell how rich you are by what you smell like... im with you Rip off

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A half tank diesel costs pennies to produce too. It's all about where the mark ups come from.

It's worth paying a bit more for a good perfume as you get quality base scents and the perfume will linger longer.

Why would you pay less for sonething your wife would not like.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
A half tank diesel costs pennies to produce too. It's all about where the mark ups come from.

It's worth paying a bit more for a good perfume as you get quality base scents and the perfume will linger longer.

But its half a tank of deisel, not a thimble full of summat that stinks.. it just smells, you could smell of diesel all the time for less than 1p a day.

Half a tank of diesel would get me to Belgium

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
But its half a tank of deisel, not a thimble full of summat that stinks.. it just smells, you could smell of diesel all the time for less than 1p a day.

Half a tank of diesel would get me to Belgium
Trying to think of something witty to say about going to Belgium but it's too late at night!:)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

Surely because it is a lot better than the alternative. As you can see from my post regarding the electric mop above, I paid a lot MORE for something my wife didn’t like :(
If you’re going down, go down cheaply.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
For a really beautiful perfume try Penhaligons, oil based not alcohol based the perfume stays all day just wafts, that's being spoilt.
Magic.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Sometimes it pays to spend that little bit extra.....:D2

3B1C09DF-B5C8-4DDC-B8D5-C4EAE237A387.jpeg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I know what you mean, I buy Sharp perfume and she likes the expensive stuff £70+ and sometimes I see her spraying it around like air-freshener.....:eek:

On another side of that she buys me designer aftershave and people do comment on it....:roflmto:
'Spraying it like air-freshener ' that's the way to get an all over cover ! Spray into the air then walk into it then the perfume covers all the body !!!
Which is why we get through so much !
My daughters bought me some lovely perfume called Daisy once but a few weeks later youngest 'borrowed 'it and I never saw it again!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back