Pegaso 590 Manual or Automatic (1 Viewer)

Jul 30, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
New to Motorhoming
Hello lovely people,
I think we have finally decided on a Roller Team Pegaso 590 after months of research and deliberation, the space that this model provides looks comfortable and meets our needs with the drop down cab bed. What I am not sure about though is - what is better, Manual or Automatic? I have always had a manual car but driven the odd automatic hire car. Do you get the same element of control with a automatic, are they less cost effective on fuel? The majority seem to be automatic which leads me to believe they are more popular.
Any thoughts/feedback would help me. Thank you šŸ˜Š

OP
OP
Moglet
Jul 30, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
New to Motorhoming
Thanks bolero boy useful iinfo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alan and Emma

Free Member
Jun 26, 2020
Truro
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Moglet, we test drove the new 9 speed auto and it convinced us that this was the best solution for us.

For some background we have driven various auto gearboxes over the last 5 years including a Honda CVT (which we could't get on with at all.) Mazda (good but no prizes for smoothness.) Mercedes (smooth but didn't have quite as good response as the BMW 8 speed.) and the BMW 8 speed (truly a game changer for our opinion of auto boxes.)

Our thinking with the new 9 speed Fiat box was that it was pretty responsive for something pulling over 3 tonnes. It was smooth and the changes were quick with no pausing as the box decided which gear to select. It also had a good kick down when needed. The main point that swayed it for us was that we have only limited experience of driving such large vehicles. Our Roller Team T740 is almost 7.5 metres long and the auto box allows us to focus specifically on 'driving' the vehicle without worrying and having to potentially keep looking at which gear to select. Other more experienced mh drivers may prefer the immediate responses from a manual box but for us the box is good enough.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I'm curious, as with the OP, people seem to fear auto boxes because you have a loss of control. What on earth do they mean? There is no loss of control, quite the reverse. Certainly torque converter boxes are always in the right gear at the right time, and if you ever feel you want more control, then there is manual mode.

OP
OP
Moglet
Jul 30, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
New to Motorhoming
Hi Moglet, we test drove the new 9 speed auto and it convinced us that this was the best solution for us.

For some background we have driven various auto gearboxes over the last 5 years including a Honda CVT (which we could't get on with at all.) Mazda (good but no prizes for smoothness.) Mercedes (smooth but didn't have quite as good response as the BMW 8 speed.) and the BMW 8 speed (truly a game changer for our opinion of auto boxes.)

Our thinking with the new 9 speed Fiat box was that it was pretty responsive for something pulling over 3 tonnes. It was smooth and the changes were quick with no pausing as the box decided which gear to select. It also had a good kick down when needed. The main point that swayed it for us was that we have only limited experience of driving such large vehicles. Our Roller Team T740 is almost 7.5 metres long and the auto box allows us to focus specifically on 'driving' the vehicle without worrying and having to potentially keep looking at which gear to select. Other more experienced mh drivers may prefer the immediate responses from a manual box but for us the box is good enough.

thank you for your response. We have definitely decided that the automatic will be the way forward for us and your feedback cements that for us..... just need to find one now!

OP
OP
Moglet
Jul 30, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
New to Motorhoming
I'm curious, as with the OP, people seem to fear auto boxes because you have a loss of control. What on earth do they mean? There is no loss of control, quite the reverse. Certainly torque converter boxes are always in the right gear at the right time, and if you ever feel you want more control, then there is manual mode.
I think for me, who is so used to manual, itā€™s little things like driving onto levelling blocks, taking off at motorway roundabouts etc.... fear of the unknown and worried about making an expensive mistake.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I think for me, who is so used to manual, itā€™s little things like driving onto levelling blocks, taking off at motorway roundabouts etc.... fear of the unknown and worried about making an expensive mistake.
Driving onto levelling blocks, easy, you actually have MORE control as you can use your left foot for the brake and right for the accelerator. OK takes a little getting used to but... no clutch to burn, no need to rev unnecessarily.

Taking off from anywhere is just, well, automatic. At a roundabout, whether stopped or still moving, the gear is just right. Also cruise control does not drop out when a gear change is made.

I changed to autos with both the cars and the motorhome about 10 years ago. Hate having to drive a manual now.

Most auto gearboxes learn your driving style too and adapt accordingly. This feature was great when we towed a caravan, the car would soon adjust to having the caravan on the back and there was a noticeable difference in when it changed gear.

As the van is on a Fiat chassis, check it has the new 9 speed torque converter auto. The previous Fiat Comformatic robotised auto was not particularly good.

If you really want to see what an auto gearbox can do, watch the first part of this manufacturer's video of my car, and then ask yourself how hard can it be getting a motorhome onto levellers?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, automatic every time for us - especially on the van.

Currently, we have the Fiat comfortmatic semi-auto, which is fine. But I'd love to have the new 9-speed torque converter.

I always used to swear by manual gearboxes, but not any longer.

The auto box makes the van so much more relaxing to drive IMHO.

Good luck with your new van! :giggle: (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Driving onto levelling blocks, easy, you actually have MORE control as you can use your left foot for the brake and right for the accelerator. OK takes a little getting used to but... no clutch to burn, no need to rev unnecessarily.
Not on a comfortmatic, press both peddles at the same time and the engine cuts out.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Auto boxes will (must) have improved then.
For me better control of take away, speed reduction, etc with a manual particularly when hauling a large trailer \ caravan behind you.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
........... as you can use your left foot for the brake and right for the accelerator.
Every driving instructor I've spoken with has always told me NEVER EVER use both feet on the pedals.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hello lovely people,
I think we have finally decided on a Roller Team Pegaso 590 after months of research and deliberation, the space that this model provides looks comfortable and meets our needs with the drop down cab bed. What I am not sure about though is - what is better, Manual or Automatic? I have always had a manual car but driven the odd automatic hire car. Do you get the same element of control with a automatic, are they less cost effective on fuel? The majority seem to be automatic which leads me to believe they are more popular.
Any thoughts/feedback would help me. Thank you šŸ˜Š
You say that ā€œthe majorityā€ are Auto, are you looking at second hand?
I say this because most of the available s/h ones are ex Rental, and the big player only has Autos

Nothing wrong with an ex rental, just bear in mind the unusually high wear-rate compared to MOST privately owned
šŸ‘

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Every driving instructor I've spoken with has always told me NEVER EVER use both feet on the pedals.
Maybe so, and this normally applies, but by far the best way of driving onto levellers.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Auto boxes will (must) have improved then.
For me better control of take away, speed reduction, etc with a manual particularly when hauling a large trailer \ caravan behind you.
As I said above, my auto Mitsubishis were superb towing. By the same token, a couple of years ago I came down Sutton Bank in the auto car (solo of course) without using the brakes. But then they used decent torque converter boxes not robotised manuals.

OP
OP
Moglet
Jul 30, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
New to Motorhoming

Taking off from anywhere is just, well, automatic. At a roundabout, whether stopped or still moving, the gear is just right. Also cruise control does not drop out when a gear change is made.

I changed to autos with both the cars and the motorhome about 10 years ago. Hate having to drive a manual now.

Most auto gearboxes learn your driving style too and adapt accordingly. This feature was great when we towed a caravan, the car would soon adjust to having the caravan on the back and there was a noticeable difference in when it changed gear.

As the van is on a Fiat chassis, check it has the new 9 speed torque converter auto. The previous Fiat Comformatic robotised auto was not particularly good.

If you really want to see what an auto gearbox can do, watch the first part of this manufacturer's video of my car, and then ask yourself how hard can it be getting a motorhome onto levellers?

Yes, that video is impressive, thanks for the advise this is really useful. Itā€™s going to be our first Moho so putting in a lot of research..... he is a she BTW

OP
OP
Moglet
Jul 30, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
New to Motorhoming
You say that ā€œthe majorityā€ are Auto, are you looking at second hand?
I say this because most of the available s/h ones are ex Rental, and the big player only has Autos

Nothing wrong with an ex rental, just bear in mind the unusually high wear-rate compared to MOST privately owned
šŸ‘
We were looking for a second hand one but they are like hens teeth. Just keeping an eye on autotrader etc every day. We thought exrental might be an option but it does worry me, not ruled it out though.

OP
OP
Moglet
Jul 30, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
New to Motorhoming
If ex-rental is not an issue, JustGo have 19 regs for Ā£55k
They only have Autos
I called about that one but apparently they donā€™t have it on site (Edinburgh) and didnā€™t seem keen to discuss further. I didnā€™t get a good feeling about them at all.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Head office down in England
Speak to Marsha ( think that is her name), sorry if its a wild goose chase though
come November they will be de-fleeting

OP
OP
Moglet
Jul 30, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
New to Motorhoming
Head office down in England
Speak to Marsha ( think that is her name), sorry if its a wild goose chase though
come November they will be de-fleeting
Ah ok, thatā€™s good to know. Iā€™ll get back to them. Thank for this šŸ‘šŸ¼

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Yes, that video is impressive, thanks for the advise this is really useful. Itā€™s going to be our first Moho so putting in a lot of research..... he is a she BTW
To be clear, that video was mostly demonstrating the 4WD benefits, not the auto transmission?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back