Pathetic Dometic. (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have a Dometic oven and grill in our 2012 Burstner. The grills 'OK' but the oven is crap. It looks like a oven, it works like an oven, bit it never gets HOT!!!. What's wrong with it? Just had to eat soggy pizza even though we doubled the cooking time. Thats the last straw - What's wrong with it? What's an alternative?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have a Dometic oven and grill in our 2012 Burstner. The grills 'OK' but the oven is crap. It looks like a oven, it works like an oven, bit it never gets HOT!!!. What's wrong with it? Just had to eat soggy pizza even though we doubled the cooking time. Thats the last straw - What's wrong with it? What's an alternative?

I've got one like that. It may or may not work well in it's current location but it certainly didn't in the van. It's in the loft :).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

Made yorkie puds in mine last week...

Thread on here somewhere... ;)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We think the grill is the most useless bit in our Dometic Tec Tower but get on fine with the oven now we’ve got used to it. Everything on the hottest setting and time for your own preference, taking little notice of the packet instructions.
I’d like to remove the grill bit to give more room.

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
We had one, and as Hettie's Crew said everything on full turning around as required and it cooked, sometimes if I was otherwise engaged :drinks: then it would also burn to a cinder.
Just sold our Vanmaster Caravan with Alde heating and everything else Dometic, the price of spares was eye wateringo_Oo_Oo_O

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
We have a Dometic oven and grill in our 2013 MH and the lasagne has just been cooked to perfection.
I am away at the moment but I do know, and have used, a mobile Fitter who services and repairs Dometic appliances in your area - I'll look out his name and number when I get home next week.
And he's reasonably priced for both labour and parts.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you are referring to the TEC tower oven the grill is rubbish but the oven is OK. Its problem is that it does not get ad hot ad a domestic oven, so it will always struggle to get a good crisp base on a pizza. That needs a very hot oven for a short time.

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It's the model after the Tech tower but much the same.
The grill is a bit steady but we are used to it taking its time.
The oven is the problem, we always use it flat out and the stat never turns the flame down.
I've just polished the burner with a piece of rough Velcro and it actually looks like there is more of a flame.
I'll let you know

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Pizza stone to get a nicely cooked base

Mr Rusty

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 1986
We have a domestic OV1800 oven and grill in our Burstner Nexxo T690. It is crap, with a capital C. In fact it is the worst item in an otherwise great van. We had a TEC tower in our last van, a Burstner 590 (oven only, no grill) and that was very good. Before that it was a Burstner 585 fitted with a Smev (211 model I think). That was rubbish with a capital R. I had to get the Dometic engineer out to it a couple of times as it kept going out (from new) but it never was fixed. Dometic own Smev, hence the Dometic engineer. I was looking at a Thetford replacement at the NEC motorhome show last year only because I think their 420 model might fit in place of the OV1800 we have now. We had several caravans fitted with Thetford (Spinflow) ovens and they were all really good. I think even Burstner are fitting Thetford ovens in some of their models now. I would be interested to know if anyone has a 420 and what they think of it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You may wish to consider an Ooni for cooking pizza they heat up to 500 degrees So the stone is nice and hot turn the flame down shove the pizza in and turn every 12 -15 seconds after about 90 seconds you have a perfectly cooked pizza. You can use them to roast veg and cook other food as well

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We've managed to survive for the last 25 years not using the oven/grill in our caravan then motorhome,not much we've had to miss out on 🙂 decent set of cast aluminium pans is the answer apparently 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a TecTower grill is naff but oven works fine.
If the door hinges get stiff the door doesn't seal properly & because they have such a pathetic burner the oven doesn't get very hot.
I grease my hinges with K2 ceramic grease once or twice a year, if that doesn't work fit new hinges.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back