Parking in Laybys on main roads. (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I’d feel safer in a big wagon doing it . With all that at the back of you and so high up.
But why motorhomes choose to is beyond me. A lot sleep in the crumple zone as it is. Plus imagine a lorry veering to the side and hitting it ! You’d stand no chance.
No thanks.

I might (at a push) park up at night in a lay-by - in front of a lorry - but would still not sleep well...........

......what if the truck moved..............

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am under the impression that if you run into the back of another vehicle it is your fault. As was almost stated earlier, driving without due care and attention.
But the car ran into an unlit lorry that should have been displaying lights.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
But the car ran into an unlit lorry that should have been displaying lights.
I realise that but there are lots of unlit hazards out there and most people don’t run into them. Hazards like posts, walls , fences, houses. I could go on but I think you get the idea. It would probably have been a good idea to look out the very large window at the front of the passenger compartment. That is why it is there.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If a lay-by has a kerb between it and the highway, is it still classed as the highway? I try to only use lay-bys that have this separation but only really to protect me when I get out of the Hab door on right hand side.
Even the grass verge is classed as part of the public highway up to the point it enters private land....i.e.: A boundary fence or hedge.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Probably got due to lighting laws, laybys are considered part of the highway. Outside a 30mph limit all vehicles must display parking lights inside 30mph limits all vehicles over 2.5t must display parking lights.

That means you can not park a Motorhome anywhere on the highway at night without lights.
Have not seen that enforced for years,,BUSBY,,

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
The things you see on the road and the drivers stupidity never fails to amaze me - on the M1 today coming back from Yorkshire (ay up lad) seen a artic wide loaded taking up two lanes with a truck/jeep behind it with flashing beacons on the top, as we drove past the artic the driver was on his phone txting Oh Please!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The things you see on the road and the drivers stupidity never fails to amaze me - on the M1 today coming back from Yorkshire (ay up lad) seen a artic wide loaded taking up two lanes with a truck/jeep behind it with flashing beacons on the top, as we drove past the artic the driver was on his phone txting Oh Please!

When i walk into town,,probably four days a week i usually see between 4 and 8 on the phone,,many mums with kids in baby seats,,disgusting,,BUSBY,,

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sorry but I've no sympathy for the wagon driver here. The Highway Code is absolutely clear on use of parking lights - in fact l don't think the wording has ever changed. Any modern vehicle battery should cope with parking lights on for 7 or so hours. There are many motoring laws that aren't enforced (but should be). It doesn't mean they can or should be ignored. My two particular hates are headlights when stationary and parking facing the traffic at night. Both together in a town is particulzrly irritating.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Sorry but I've no sympathy for the wagon driver here. The Highway Code is absolutely clear on use of parking lights - in fact l don't think the wording has ever changed. Any modern vehicle battery should cope with parking lights on for 7 or so hours. There are many motoring laws that aren't enforced (but should be). It doesn't mean they can or should be ignored. My two particular hates are headlights when stationary and parking facing the traffic at night. Both together in a town is particulzrly irritating.
So there's sympathy for the BMW driver that hit the stationary vehicle?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

While, of course we can’t be sure, Its fairly probable that he would have seen it, and therefore been better placed to have altered his course, had it been lit.

Ian

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Doesn't matter either way - the only vehicle at fault was the wagon. It's why vehicles, and anything else that is in the road at night, have lights.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I just Googled 'Layby fatal accident'.............. surprised how many there were.... mostly the same - car ploughs into parked truck

Sad that anyone dies in such accidents............ 2 friends of mine and another couple were all killed many years ago.....car hit a tree........... was the tree to blame?

Isn't it more about the vehicle travelling hitting a stationery object?

Momentary lapse in concentration? distracted?, under the influence?

Would lights on the lorry really help?

Might drivers think the truck was on the highway, moving? and drive into the layby (at speed)

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
On a slightly different note. It never ceases to amaze me how many people drive about using parking lights/sidelights in low light or fog! Then again there are loads driving in these conditions with no lights.
It’s only when events like the OP happen that the authorities have an opportunity to attach blame to someone as there are no resources to address these offenders day to day.
Agreed.
I think it is because they only use their lights to see and do not either care or realise that on lots of occasions it is to be seen.
Travel down motorways in low light or poor weather and cars behind can hardly be seen sometimes especially silver/black cars which I think are the most common.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Driving with fog lights on when not required really gets my goat.
Is it some kind of fashion statement?

I fail to see how the lorry driver is totally to blame.
I’m guessing no parking lights is a fine but do you also get points on your licence?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Some interesting stuff here. I have seen so many wagons with no lights on parked in laybys for the night on dual carriageways that I assumed that the law regarding parking lights had been changed, or did not apply off the main carriageway. Its seems I was wrong (again).

We would never park up for the night in a lay-by right next to moving traffic. In fact we do not even like to park up for a break in those type of lay-bys during the day, and try to find ones that are further away from the running lanes. It seems about as safe as stopping for a cuppa on the hard shoulder of a motorway.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I carry a led bycycle lamp with me cause it's cheap can hang it off the back or in the rear window only used it once but still carry it.
P'S why are Funsters blaming that truck or car driver? they did not witness the accident so they do not know who was at fault phew that's better.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
There's a dangerous trend that I've noticed since the law changed to require all new vehicles to have daytime running lights on the front. Some, such as the new Transit, don't have separate lamps they just use the headlamps - so the headlamps are on all the time, but the rear lights only come on when the "headlights are switched on" at the dashboard, if you get my drift.

Several times now on my daily commute I've seen vehicles, in particular new Transits, merrily driving along in the dark with no rear lights on - the driver clearly having not realised as he/she can see ahead as the headlights are on all the time anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they have no dashboard lights and just haven't noticed!

However - the one I see all the time and drives me mad - the eejits who turn their foglights on at the first wisp of mist, long before "visibility is seriously reduced" and you're supposed to turn them on, thereby dazzling all behind them. Probably the same eejits who leave them on long after the mist has cleared - although at least on most modern cars the switch is designed so you have to turn them off at the end of your journey, so the eejits can't leave them on for days afterwards, as they used to do!

The trend for boy racers driving around with their front fog lights on all the time "to look sportier" seems to be much reduced now, thankfully.

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Driving with fog lights on when not required really gets my goat.
Is it some kind of fashion statement?

I think it can be with some drivers but the most common reason is I am afraid ignorance.
Very many drivers do not understand the law and have little knowledge of how the controls of their cars actually function.
If you are not familiar with your vehicle it is very easy to have fog lamps on without be aware despite the fact that nowadays we even have warning lights to tell us.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
There's a dangerous trend that I've noticed since the law changed to require all new vehicles to have daytime running lights on the front. Some, such as the new Transit, don't have separate lamps they just use the headlamps - so the headlamps are on all the time, but the rear lights only come on when the "headlights are switched on" at the dashboard, if you get my drift.

Several times now on my daily commute I've seen vehicles, in particular new Transits, merrily driving along in the dark with no rear lights on - the driver clearly having not realised as he/she can see ahead as the headlights are on all the time anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they have no dashboard lights and just haven't noticed!

However - the one I see all the time and drives me mad - the eejits who turn their foglights on at the first wisp of mist, long before "visibility is seriously reduced" and you're supposed to turn them on, thereby dazzling all behind them. Probably the same eejits who leave them on long after the mist has cleared - although at least on most modern cars the switch is designed so you have to turn them off at the end of your journey, so the eejits can't leave them on for days afterwards, as they used to do!

The trend for boy racers driving around with their front fog lights on all the time "to look sportier" seems to be much reduced now, thankfully.
Must admit, I was driving with daylight running lights on, thinking all lights were on. I read on here a while back and now don’t use them. What’s the idea of only having front lights on, I’m sure most newbies think the same and use them.

Mickey.

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years

That is really good to know I have often seen vehicles as you describe with lights on at the front and none at the rear. I always thought it was driver error and I suppose it is still is driver error due to not understanding their vehicle controls. Switching vehicles a lot probably causes this. People just don’t do familiaration checks do they.

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Must admit, I was driving with daylight running lights on, thinking all lights were on. I read on here a while back and now don’t use them. What’s the idea of only having front lights on, I’m sure most newbies think the same and use them.

Mickey.
Daytime lights are designed as a safety feature for vehicles and pedestrians to see vehicles approaching. There is lots of evidence that the danger is spotted sooner thus avoiding mishaps.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The idea behind daylight running lights came about for the need in low light/visibility situations to allow pedestrians/other vehicle drivers, to spot a vehicle they otherwise might not see.
That's all they are for & should be of no use to the person driving the vehicle.
Adding dash lights coming on with DRL's has just made it easy for people to think all lights are on at night. An absolutely ludicrous addition.

Doesn't matter either way - the only vehicle at fault was the wagon. It's why vehicles, and anything else that is in the road at night, have lights.

Even if he had no lights the car driver still has fault/blame in not seeing the vehicle.
I can't see how you can suddenly pick on this lorry driver for failing to have lights on when all have been condoning every parked vehicle unlit for the last 50 years .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

I dont think i have ever seen a truck in a lay by using side lights in the last 40 years,,,Where i live you can park within the zig zags of a zebra crossing and the Police will just drive past..BUSBY..

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I guess it’s down to luck if the police enforce that particular law in your area or not. Bit like the fella who kept his license for doing over a ton because he had suffered stress at Grenville towers. Some have more luck than others although often helped by enough money for a good solicitor. Haha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back