Parking in Laybys on main roads. (1 Viewer)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
It is time proper provision was made for parking of vehicles overnight and not at a charge. The French and other countries system of Aires is good. Time for wake up Rip Off Britain.

I am sad to report utopia does not exist in France. On the motorways you will now see signs telling of available space in services ahead, this is due to too many vehicles and not enough spaces. Here too it is difficult near large towns and cities to find night parking. We are 100km north of Bordeaux and the motorway parking areas (A10) are frequently full early late evening creating more problems for night trunking trucks who cannot find space for their statutory 45 minute breaks.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Not sure that is correct, if one is referring to the speed differential between two vehicles then the position within those vehicles would have no relevance as the speed each vehicle and its contents remains the same irrelevant of where within that vehicle they are positioned.
I'm not sure which part of my post you're querying, but if it's the first part - If I rear-end you while I'm travelling at 155mph, and you're travelling at 154mph, the impact is slight. (I'm obviously ignoring the de-stabilising after-effects of the collision)

If it's the second part - I share your doubts. It's probably my poor memory, but:
If I remember correctly (!) in the documentary they described a passenger's movement when the vehicle came to an abrupt halt:
As the windscreen comes to a stop, the further away you are from the screen, the bigger the speed differential between your nose and the glass. At the moment of impact, if you are touching the screen, both your nose and the glass decelerate at (roughly) the same rate. If you are some distance away, the glass decelerates earlier than your nose so there is a bigger speed differential when the two meet.

Or something :wondering:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
If you are some distance away, the glass decelerates earlier than your nose so there is a bigger speed differential when the two meet.

Twas indeed the second part. Makes sense now, you refer to the the fact that at the point of impact/dramatic reduction is speed of the vehicle items/people actually touching the screen would reduce speed at the same time as the screen where as an item/someone a distance from the screen will continue to move forward creating a speed differential between it/them and the screen resulting in a secondary impact. Assuming that the item/person is not in the first instance secured within and to the vehicle. deceleration rate x Mass = inertial energy = size of bump on head OUCH!!

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I give up:oops: my brain hurts:sleep:

P.s. Nothing to do with hitting the windscreen!.:D