Parking etiquette a question (1 Viewer)

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
When funsters park next to strangers, do you park,so that you avoid, where possible, that your habitation door is not directly opposite your neighbour?
I appreciate that depending on whether the vehicle is a Continental make, or a home produced model, that the doors may be on opposite sides.
I’vejust had a Dethelffs park next to me in a Pilote. They then after an hour or so turned their vehicle around and parked so that our open doors meant we were looking into one another. I moved without commenting. They then moved to occupy the space I vacated!

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
When funsters park next to strangers, do you park,so that you avoid, where possible, that your habitation door is not directly opposite your neighbour?
I appreciate that depending on whether the vehicle is a Continental make, or a home produced model, that the doors may be on opposite sides.
I’vejust had a Dethelffs park next to me in a Pilote. They then after an hour or so turned their vehicle around and parked so that our open doors meant we were looking into one another. I moved without commenting. They then moved to occupy the space I vacated!
Out of order.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Do you mean parking in a carpark whilst you go shopping or if parking up for a night (or even a lunch break)?

We try to avoid looking directly into another motorhome and also try to leave plenty of space between the vans. That isn't always possible of course, especially on aires and the like although we tend to go "out of season".

Before covid people would come and have a chat before moving on.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Maybe they fancied you

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Depends on where we are parking. On a CMHC site we are not too bothered about parking with doors facing as there is a large enough gap between pitches. Otherwise we always park so that doors are not facing. Actually, we always try to park at the end of a row so that we only have neighbours in one side.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I would only consider my view out the front window and park accordingly

I don't think parking door facing door to be an issue.

If it really bothered me I would close the door .
PVC - Its the side view we're bothered about.

2 nights ago it was this:

IMG_20210719_081758.jpg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Walk out of the van drinking lager and listening to *loud music* say * Alright mate up for a bit of dogging?* And strangely they move PDQ! :LOL:
Yep. And if I'm upwind I just smoke a couple of Gauloises and cough a lot.
Years ago a few nappies pegged on a line used to ensure plenty of space.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
So are you saying you definitely avoid parking door to door? :clap2:
I suppose, as we are a British built van, and our Hab door is on the left, we would consider (if parked in a row) parking the opposite way to the continental vans to avoid being hab door to hab door.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

We try and avoid it; it can't always be helped but it seems that your neighbours were a bit peculiar. Did you old pitch have a better view than theirs or more privacy or shade? Can you think of any reason why they would have changed their parking position after the hour?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Who cares about the door when one has many windows? Just shut the door as post above.

We normally do not park next to anyone -either wildcamping or on isolated aires. - easy.
It is easy to pull blinds etc on windows. Not so easy with doors.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Park diagonally or just don't worry too much about it or let it spoil your time?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Never given it a thought. In our van the seats face every way but towards the door. Not sure what I should be getting upset about.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I never give it a thought as I don't stop anywhere more than 2 nights max but I can imagine it might be an issue for caravan people who set up their annexe/privacy room/hot tub/cinema/table and chairs/BBQ/washing machine/T.V. etc. facing another similarly set up caravan when both stay for a week or more.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We have a Dethleffs with automatic levellers. Sometimes the slope is greater than the levellers can mange, so we have to turn 180 degrees to assist it.

As above, close the door if you don't like being seen

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I think Spriddler has hit the nail on the head. If we park up in the UK we reverse into the pitch. If on the continent then we would drive onto the pitch. This would ensure when out in the deck chairs, at the table eating, you are not overlooked by neighbours.
Not a case of them being nosey etc, we have often given tours of our moho to others.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have a Dethleffs with automatic levellers. Sometimes the slope is greater than the levellers can mange, so we have to turn 180 degrees to assist it.

As above, close the door if you don't like being seen
They eat slopes don't they? 😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back