Parking etiquette a question (1 Viewer)

Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
When funsters park next to strangers, do you park,so that you avoid, where possible, that your habitation door is not directly opposite your neighbour?
I appreciate that depending on whether the vehicle is a Continental make, or a home produced model, that the doors may be on opposite sides.
I’vejust had a Dethelffs park next to me in a Pilote. They then after an hour or so turned their vehicle around and parked so that our open doors meant we were looking into one another. I moved without commenting. They then moved to occupy the space I vacated!
We took our new Globecar on its first outing two weeks ago to a CAMC site and reversed into the pitch. As our sliding door is on the drivers side it was only when we settled in that we realised that we were opened up directly next to the poor chap already in place beside us who had been enjoying his afternoon under his awning in a comfy chair. After a few minutes we thought this wasn’t right and turned the van around so that we were no longer facing each other. I then spoke to the chap (also a funster) and apologised - he was perfectly ok with what we had done. Our previous Van was a T6 with the door on the passenger side so I think you just need to give some thought when parking on how best to keep the peace and enjoy your stay without upsetting the neighbours!😀

Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
I park how I want to park. Many reasons, but I’m not bothered where or why you are doing what you are doing. That is unless you head over to talk to me, at which point I will either drive off, or send the wife out.
Probably a good reason for me to park not facing you😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
It’s just a matter of 6th sense
We have met some wonderful people parked door to door, conversely we have deliberately avoided others
On all occasions we have been happy with our choice

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We have a Dethleffs with automatic levellers. Sometimes the slope is greater than the levellers can mange, so we have to turn 180 degrees to assist it.

As above, close the door if you don't like being seen
You need some wooden blocks

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Parked on a Mosel riverside stellplatz with a view out of the front directly onto the river and the Finnish guy next to me got very upset and told me to turn the MH round. I refused, saying I was also entitled to the view,so he put up his sunblockers etc and studiously igmored us.
Next day he apologised, said he realised he had been out of order. We shared a few beers, eventually dinner and spent the rest of the week best of friends- fuelled by the village wine fest.

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Parked on a Mosel riverside stellplatz with a view out of the front directly onto the river and the Finnish guy next to me got very upset and told me to turn the MH round. I refused, saying I was also entitled to the view,so he put up his sunblockers etc and studiously igmored us.
Next day he apologised, said he realised he had been out of order. We shared a few beers, eventually dinner and spent the rest of the week best of friends- fuelled by the village wine fest.
That’s one of the best examples of why there there is no rule

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had this Wednesday a van parked so I parked with my door on the other side then another van pulls up and parks with his door same side as mine am fine with that and you find that you end up having a bullshit and a beer or two. However the woman comes and tells me my door is on the wrong side of the MH so I said OK I will let Hymer know that so they can fix it. No bullshit or a beer with them sat with their backs to us most of the night.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Continental van here so the chances are that we’ll end up next to a Brit van so we tend to reverse into pitches to give us privacy. If it’s a serviced pitch, we’ll turn the van around when stuff needs emptying and then bugger off.

if I need to turn the van around to maintain privacy, I always try and engage with my neighbour first as not to appear rude and it’s never taken the wrong way - in fact it appreciated as most prefer their privacy. (Although there are a few weirdos out there…)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
At a 'Fun' Temporary Campsite, our Glorious Leader, (On ALL **** be heaped )(Fill in your own words)
has declared that there shall be No, 'Door to Door' parking.

"And it shall be so"

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Walk out of the van drinking lager and listening to *loud music* say * Alright mate up for a bit of dogging?* And strangely they move PDQ! :LOL:
I'd be too scared they would give me the thumbs up and stay!!

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
It doesn't bother me.

I will always reverse onto a pitch, as I always park my car, it is how I was taught because there is nothing worse than having to reverse out of a tight parking spot or restricted area.

So I reverse on, down the middle of the pitch unless the position of water tap or EHU dictate otherwise.

Anyone else there or arrives, that's what they get or find.

Deleted User
Its the constant loud whoosh bang that makes us deaf the more you open & close the door the deafer you get :rofl:
Next door neighbour has what's probably a 20 year old Bongo that has a soft close door, are they not available now?

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Unfortunately it’s the way they shut nothing to do with the user but more to do with the manufacturer.
Yep Mazda were using soft close doors 25yrs ago. It would harm Merc or Fiat if they made a platform purely for Pvc conversion. Edit too slow
As to pitching , its the direction that gets the best view out of cab or south for hab door, ps its s Rapido so door on continental side

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
As the owner of a pvc I can only apologise. I hadn't realised that opening my door when I get up and the closing it when I go to bed was causing such a problem.I wonder do you think that I should start leaving my drum kit at home.

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
Have to remember to exit my van from the cab doors when I break camp at 4am for one of my early exits from a site 🤔

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Right hand drive van with the sliding door on the right. Having been at a site for 3 days, another van pulled up on the next pitch and the guy said I was parked wrong as my Hab door was facing his……..I was polite and carried on drinking my tea.🤷‍♂️

Our sliding door only gets closed once at night……when we shut up to go to bed. Love to have an assisted closer, but they don’t do one to fit our door layout.(y)

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Right hand drive van with the sliding door on the right. Having been at a site for 3 days, another van pulled up on the next pitch and the guy said I was parked wrong as my Hab door was facing his……..I was polite and carried on drinking my tea.🤷‍♂️

Our sliding door only gets closed once at night……when we shut up to go to bed. Love to have an assisted closer, but they don’t do one to fit our door layout.(y)
I try to park for whichever is the best view through the open rear doors on my van and then use the rear doors to get in and out. I only need to use the side door in heavy rain or for access to the toilet cassette or if the canopy is out. (British style PVC with rear lounge.) The rear doors are pretty noisy as well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Should be a law, only allowed to open & close sliding doors between 9am and 10pm.
Had one bloke on a wild spot in Luxembourg a couple of years ago must have opened and slammed his door at least 10 times all through the night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back