Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I have just returned from my holiday and used the new Pet Lounge on P&O Dover to Calais route. It worked out £120 cheaper return than Eurotunnel.
The pet lounge facility was great, we were parked up next to the lift that took us up to within a few metres of the lounge.
For the humans, at the moment there are complementary hot drinks, water and cans of Pepsi. There are also plug and USB sockets in each area. Dogs have access to water bowls and an outside exercise area.
On the way out there were 3 other dogs and on the way back we had the lounge to ourselves.
photos of outward and inbound trips:
8223598B-D348-463D-9AD6-482A74BD9D4A.jpeg
E58C42A3-706B-49D7-AB1D-9E9D581EBF69.jpeg
4A3DAC43-1E3A-4C15-9AD0-12F007B38B56.jpeg
74CEED25-28C8-49B8-8395-A686179E4FB0.jpeg
5C004E5E-F91B-4A9D-A9D4-A78A482D6EE9.jpeg

Attachments

• 8F2305EB-D1C1-4734-979F-28C359C90D01.jpeg
    8F2305EB-D1C1-4734-979F-28C359C90D01.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 99
  • DDC8FE26-6270-4035-A21F-A4F4AF742F64.jpeg
    DDC8FE26-6270-4035-A21F-A4F4AF742F64.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 118
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Thanks for posting. We're in France at the moment with our border terrier. Came out on the Eurotunnel, but may consider P&O & the pet lounge on the way back in early December.

Ps. I'm also of the opinion that dogs should be kept off the furniture, even if it is wipe-clean vinyl.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Hello

One observation and one question if I may…

The question; does it smell doggy?

The observation; I thought we were all boycotting P&O due to their atrocious staff treatment?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Aly1
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for posting. We're in France at the moment with our border terrier. Came out on the Eurotunnel, but may consider P&O & the pet lounge on the way back in early December.

Ps. I'm also of the opinion that dogs should be kept off the furniture, even if it is wipe-clean vinyl.
If it makes you feel better I did wipe the seat down after she had been on it and I took her bed with me on the return journey as I knew what the layout was like.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume people know that you pay at least £12 for this facility, with a single dog it's not bad but if you have several it's not cheap.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I assume people know that you pay at least £12 for this facility, with a single dog it's not bad but if you have several it's not cheap.
Indeed. It appears to be £12 to use the pet lounge per animal, but this is on top of the £15 compulsory pet travel cost (each way). Still cheaper than Eurotunnel though.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Looks like a good facility. Just looked at a March crossing and came out dearer than the tunnel. Could be less at other times I suppose.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Hello

One observation and one question if I may…

The question; does it smell doggy?

The observation; I thought we were all boycotting P&O due to their atrocious staff treatment?
Smell? No it doesn't . Its also just a minute through one doorway into the food hall so ideal!

OP
OP
Aly1
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I paid £6 each way for me to access the pet lounge. There wasn’t a charge for my dog to travel that I can see on my booking.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I paid £6 each way for me to access the pet lounge. There wasn’t a charge for my dog to travel that I can see on my booking.
When I did a quote for a ferry and included the pet lounge it was £36 dearer than without, so it's £12 a dog (3 dogs).

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
I agree with the comments about P&O generally. They are the Ryanair of ferries and you can not go lower than that. Absolute scumbags.
Having said that; for dog owners to be able to have their pets with them is a huge advantage for both animal and owner.
There are so few alternatives to P&O at present it is genuinely difficult to boycott them.
When we took a Greek ferry back from Greece to Italy last year, our two small dogs were allowed in the cabin and the lounge at no charge. It was very much appreciated by us.
Safe driving.
Paul

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Sorry, but even if it saved me £120, I'll not be using P&O whilst its under the current ownership.

The treatment of their staff is diabolical, and I'll not support them in any way, now or in the future.
Same here my dog would never cross a picket line and consequently sleeps well at night.

OP
OP
Aly1
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
When I did a quote for a ferry and included the pet lounge it was £36 dearer than without, so it's £12 a dog (3 dogs).
I suppose you just get a total for the journey from Eurotunnel and P&O and decide from there. My dog hates being alone and really frets so prior to the Pet Lounge my only option was ET. Hopefully because there are other options now to stay with your pet then prices for travelling with pets will become more competitive 🤞
I posted this review and photos so people with pets can see what to expect if they opt for P&O.
Lets hope that ET brings back frequent traveller tickets.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I suppose you just get a total for the journey from Eurotunnel and P&O and decide from there. My dog hates being alone and really frets so prior to the Pet Lounge my only option was ET. Hopefully because there are other options now to stay with your pet then prices for travelling with pets will become more competitive 🤞
I posted this review and photos so people with pets can see what to expect if they opt for P&O.
Lets hope that ET brings back frequent traveller tickets.
Yes, it's the total cost that matters. We used ET for similar reasons as you as one of our dogs was terrified of ferries, unfortunately she passed away in June so we now have a choice of ferry or ET. When we had FT tickets it was a no-brainer to use ET but now we haven't we're looking at all options ... I supposed I could do what I did on our recent Ireland trip and stow away with the dogs in the MH - before anyone starts going on about this, save your 'fingers', it's my choice and I did what was best for my doggies, if anything happened whilst on the ferry I'd want to be with them anyway.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
To be honest, leaving the dog/dogs in the van for a 2 hour crossing is not different from walking into a city without them.
They will go to sleep and greet you just the same as if 15 minutes or 2 hours.
Its us that put our emotions onto the dog not the other way around.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
To be honest, leaving the dog/dogs in the van for a 2 hour crossing is not different from walking into a city without them.
They will go to sleep and greet you just the same as if 15 minutes or 2 hours.
Its us that put our emotions onto the dog not the other way around.
Have you heard the noise on a car deck? Car alarms, noisy vibrating ship engines etc. Each to there own I guess.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Have you heard the noise on a car deck? Car alarms, noisy vibrating ship engines etc. Each to there own I guess.
Still your own emotional response to what you have not experienced.
Never experienced a car alarm on my way back.
As for vibration, it passes throughout the ship.
The most disturbing aspect of a dog on it own is passing people, and its assumed role in pack leader/ guard.
I would hope on a car deck passing people would be very limited.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Still your own emotional response to what you have not experienced.
Never experienced a car alarm on my way back.
As for vibration, it passes throughout the ship.
The most disturbing aspect of a dog on it own is passing people, and its assumed role in pack leader/ guard.
I would hope on a car deck passing people would be very limited.
I've stayed on many wagon, car decks since 2006. IN the vehicle. Tough if it's against the rules. Lorry drivers do it all the time. The deck crew stays ON the deck, they don't retreat upstairs. Last trip was Portsmouth - Caen in a dog friendly cabin! right next to the car deck, car alarms going off intermittently throughout. Yes, you could hear them through the wall. I can afford to pay for either 'Pet Lounge' of a pet friendly cabin. As I said each to there own. How would you explain pressing or assuming my own emotional response to an Animal? One and only time they have been left, guess what we came back to??? Piss all over the floor, several bits of excrement, and terrified dogs DO not attempt to tell me It's my own emotional response.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We will not leave our dog on the car deck or in a cage in the pet area so have always used the shuttle.

but seeing the photos above made me do a comparison P&O v Tunnel and P&O was only a saving of £19 on like for like dates for spring next year. so not an incentive for me.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have just returned from my holiday and used the new Pet Lounge on P&O Dover to Calais route. It worked out £120 cheaper return than Eurotunnel.
The pet lounge facility was great, we were parked up next to the lift that took us up to within a few metres of the lounge.
For the humans, at the moment there are complementary hot drinks, water and cans of Pepsi. There are also plug and USB sockets in each area. Dogs have access to water bowls and an outside exercise area.
On the way out there were 3 other dogs and on the way back we had the lounge to ourselves.
photos of outward and inbound trips:
View attachment 675321View attachment 675322View attachment 675324View attachment 675325View attachment 675320
OMG that is amazing. I didn't know you could book into a pet lounge.

Gina.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
I've stayed on many wagon, car decks since 2006. IN the vehicle. Tough if it's against the rules. Lorry drivers do it all the time. The deck crew stays ON the deck, they don't retreat upstairs. Last trip was Portsmouth - Caen in a dog friendly cabin! right next to the car deck, car alarms going off intermittently throughout. Yes, you could hear them through the wall. I can afford to pay for either 'Pet Lounge' of a pet friendly cabin. As I said each to there own. How would you explain pressing or assuming my own emotional response to an Animal? One and only time they have been left, guess what we came back to??? Piss all over the floor, several bits of excrement, and terrified dogs DO not attempt to tell me It's my own emotional response.
I take it you never leave your dog alone. Ever, even when sleeping?

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
If it makes you feel better I did wipe the seat down after she had been on it and I took her bed with me on the return journey as I knew what the layout was like.
I always carry antibacterial wipes in my bag. I took my dog on boat trip on the Norfolk Broads recently and he lay on a similar seat after kicking off his throw (which I also always carry) he was so stressed as he hated the sound of the engine, so I left him there and just wiped down the seat at the end of the trip, five-hour booking had to be cut down to 2 hours because he was so stressed. He would have been happier if I had left him on his own in the van and gone by myself:(

Gina.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back