P.A.Y.G. National Trust for Scotland (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I think it's been done to death that for folks over 60yrs of age, the NT for Scotland is cheaper with the same benefits as THE NT.

However, I've just found out that the NT For S can be incredibly cheap, especially if you are like umpteen Funsters who spend their Winters, (or Summers,) abroad.
How so? I'll tell you.

When we joined the N.T. for S. this year, we were given the opportunity of paying Monthly. Annual Membership, £72. Monthly payments via the bank £6.

I rang them this morning as we would not be able to use the cards where we are. (Work it out for yourself!!!)
"No problem", said the very nice lady in Edinburgh. "I'll cancel your membership with effect from the end of the month."

So, there you have it. Join in the Spring, leave in the Autumn, (or any other time that suits) and you therefore, as the title says, PAY AS YOU GO.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Mmm! Not sure how I feel about this. Firstly you can not use the NT car parks free of charge in England.

Second, and this is the most important point, if everyone did that then the NT for Scotland would go bust in no time...... then every one loses!

Do the decent thing and pay in full....

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We have been members of NTS for 23 years. Some years we have not visited any of the properties. It’s not about value or saving money, it’s about saving and preserving our heritage, so happy to contribute the membership each year. If we all did as you suggest next time you decide to PAYG you May find its the trust which has gone:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I read and understand all comments but surely you would not take a membership unless the total cost of your individual visits equalled or exceeded the cost of membrrship

Have a membership or pay per visit.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I read and understand all comments but surely you would not take a membership unless the total cost of your individual visits equalled or exceeded the cost of membrrship

Have a membership or pay per visit.
Some years this is the case, others it’s not. I don’t see my membership being about value, it’s more about being a member and contributing to the upkeep of the trust. We are all different but I very much appreciate the work the trust do and as such see my membership as a donation each year which entitles me entry to trust properties as a side benefit, if that makes sense?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Mmm! Not sure how I feel about this. Firstly you can not use the NT car parks free of charge in England.

Second, and this is the most important point, if everyone did that then the NT for Scotland would go bust in no time...... then every one loses!

Do the decent thing and pay in full....

Thanks for your comments Graham, however;
I pointed out in my OP that I will not be around to take advantage of the car parks in England, or visit the houses gardens and suchlike (or anywhere else in the country that is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Therefore, I consider that I am paying for what I can obtain. I am paying my share. When I'm not there, I'm not subscribing.
Does that sound better?

I'll go further (Thanks to SWMBO)
There will be Funsters, (other 'Societies' are available) who regularly leave this country for months on end who, because they are only in the UK for a period of the year, do not see either of the two Trusts as value.
With the information I have provided, surely there is an argument that they could be persuaded to join and thus them achieving new members.

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Emmit, it sounds a little better :) but I still think you argument is flawed. In practice, if people are intending to be away for many months then perhaps they should consider the wisdom of taking up membership. As @normanandsue have said, pay per visit instead.

I would take it a stage further, just because you might be out of the country do you think this would entitle you to stop paying council tax or vehicle tax because you are 'not there to use it'?

Please don't see this as confrontational, I am just debating the subject :D

For the record, I think the NT fees are very expensive, but here in Cornwall probably worth it for the saving in car parking fees alone!! (at the beaches etc).

We deal with it by visiting as many NT places as we can! (even if we don't want to go there!)........ We have 'saved' hundreds of pounds haha :LOL:

(Tresillick is our fave place for the dog (y))

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
@Chockswahay
You're right of course. This should not be seen as anything other than an adult conversation.
Could I point out something that you said,
"Id take it a stage further, just because you might be out of the country do you think this would entitle you to stop paying council tax or vehicle tax because you are 'not there to use"

When I am out of the country, in my 'Van, I do stop paying vehicle tax!!! I SORN my car. Are you telling me that it would never enter your head to do so? It wouldn't occur to me to SORN the 'van because to do so would be an illegal act. Many may do it but I don't.
In the same guise, and with regard to Council Tax, I am struggling to understand your concept. It cannot be done so why bring it up. I may not be there but my house is, and for this reason, I am duty bound to pay my taxes. Remember, there are services provided by Council Tax that continue for my benefit even though I am not in the country.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Crikey:eek: I didn’t know you could do that. Well in that case I’ll concede but I still stand by the other stuff :LOL:

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
@Chockswahay,

I said," I stop paying vehicle tax!!! I SORN my car."
I then went on to say," It wouldn't occur to me to SORN the 'van because to do so would be an illegal act. Many may do it but I don't."

I thought the above was clear.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Of course we can:)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
In Ireland, I strongly objected to NT at Giants Causeway.

My wife asked if she could take the dog down to the GC through the tunnel, NT rep said yes if we pay.

Now the GC is a UNESCO site and freely available to anyone who wants to visit it, but NT seem to be saying a charge is payable to visit the site, when in fact if you do what we did, go up via the hotel and there is a gate with info board with paths marked that are free to use.

When we returned to carpark, I challenged the NT rep, he said we had to pay to go into the visitors centre, so slightly different stance this time.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I thought being a NTS member allowed you to park in NT England car parks. It certainly used to.

I’m no longer a member as the NTS is landlord for many crofting families in Scotland and their dealings with often appear circumspect at best.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back