May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Do I need to type more slowly, then? :unsure:

Red Inspection Bung in Fresh water tank mounted vertically. Even when water level below the bung, the bottom section of the coarse, deep thread collects water from the previous higher water levels and when the Bung is released, the water accumulation escapes and runs down into the refill cupboard, so the trick is to grab the sponge and wash leather quickly to catch the spillage/leakage before it has a chance to settle under the water tank itself, potentially causing future problems with damp.

Steve
Sorry. No offence meant. I think it was Brunhilda and bum otching that threw me.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I find if I overfill it pours out of the filler. I normally fill to 100% then leave it about another 30 sec maybe a bit longer before turning off the hose, depends on the pressure.
Mine's a constant backflow when filling. I can make it more or less by juggling the filling hose or turning the tap down a bit. Next I'll try feeding the hose down its throat, see if that stops it. Edit: "along its throat" as this one is horizontal.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I fill until the water pours out of the filler pipe

And then turn on the kitchen tap to run out about 5 liters so that the water level is to the top of the tank, not the top of the higher filler point.

If we drive with a full tank then we get some leakage around the access panel for the pump.
I normally travel with only 20 liters, but if needed I'll travel with upto 75% full.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
On Hymers it's a clear or blue one in the top of the tank, I don't think the thread is quite as coarse.
Thanks, Lenny. Is it t only the 'cheap' Burstners that have the cavernous vertical Inspection/Cleaning hatch, then? Great for access, but the coarse thread allows a tidy accumulation of water, and, as soon as the Bung is loosened, water begins to drip quite quickly, and it's about 5 seconds of unscrewing later before the seepage stops. The sponge/wash leather is now just part of the refill routine, and, if that's all Brunhilde has to offer by way of problems/disappointments, I can live with that.

Steve

Petersbees

Free Member
Jan 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a novice
When I filled my van the first time water flooded everywher, but the tank only showed 1/4 full. Problem was holes in the inlet pipe to the tank, replaced no further problem

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Sorry. No offence meant. I think it was Brunhilda and bum otching that threw me.
None taken. I said when I joined the Forum that I only take life seriously when I absolutely have to, and there is so much about motorhoming where laughing at the bizarre installations, processes etc is better than crying! The 'bum otching' is a great example; the drop down bed finishes about 20cm beyond the raised habitation floor, so there is a 12cm drop in floor levels. 1st night away, we couldn't [despite 1 inch inside leg] otch the bum onto the mattress so had to resort to very unsafe use of the Hymer ladder which has only fixed hooks positioned at near ceiling height!

So next morning involved a trip to the Caravan Shop to buy a metal step to allow safe access to the bed ... Of course, most nights we lock the Hab Door, then curse quietly when we remember that we've forgotten to retrieve the step from outside, so it's unlock time and kneel down, poking around to locate the dew laden step whilst presenting the neighbours with an image of the moon coming over the mountains, before cursing again whilst digging out a cloth to dry the step ... These are the joys that we look forward to so enthusiastically ... :unsure: :LOL:

Steve

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
None taken. I said when I joined the Forum that I only take life seriously when I absolutely have to, and there is so much about motorhoming where laughing at the bizarre installations, processes etc is better than crying! The 'bum otching' is a great example; the drop down bed finishes about 20cm beyond the raised habitation floor, so there is a 12cm drop in floor levels. 1st night away, we couldn't [despite 1 inch inside leg] otch the bum onto the mattress so had to resort to very unsafe use of the Hymer ladder which has only fixed hooks positioned at near ceiling height!

So next morning involved a trip to the Caravan Shop to buy a metal step to allow safe access to the bed ... Of course, most nights we lock the Hab Door, then curse quietly when we remember that we've forgotten to retrieve the step from outside, so it's unlock time and kneel down, poking around to locate the dew laden step whilst presenting the neighbours with an image of the moon coming over the mountains, before cursing again whilst digging out a cloth to dry the step ... These are the joys that we look forward to so enthusiastically ... :unsure: :LOL:

Steve

My solution to bum otching. better than the Hymer ladder, foam added to treads and it folds to under 2 inches thickness so stays in the bed with the duvet and pillows.
20210722_171627.jpg

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
it Can be difficult to tighten the cap as the rubber seal binds SO what I do is smear the rubber seal with silicon grease or petroleum jelly , this allows easy & accurate tightening ( old plumbing trick )

had to do it to my brand new leaking cap on my deathless

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
My solution to bum otching. better than the Hymer ladder, foam added to treads and it folds to under 2 inches thickness so stays in the bed with the duvet and pillows.
View attachment 534016
Nice solution! Not sure that we could replicate this because the step is inboard, so we can only just fit the caravan step in which goes at right angles to the inboard step. Shame, because a padded step would be comfortable and practical. A 5.99m Van offers a number of advantages, but also carries compromises!

Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not sure I'm prepared to stand watching a wholly inaccurate gauge. Especially when the site is a slow filler.
Always found the fresh water gauge quite accurate on all the Hymer's we have had, waste water gauge a different story.
Mine's a constant backflow when filling. I can make it more or less by juggling the filling hose or turning the tap down a bit. Next I'll try feeding the hose down its throat, see if that stops it. Edit: "along its throat" as this one is horizontal.
I always poke the hose in about 6 to 10", your tank and filler are the same as mine I've never had a problem filling.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Nice solution! Not sure that we could replicate this because the step is inboard, so we can only just fit the caravan step in which goes at right angles to the inboard step. Shame, because a padded step would be comfortable and practical. A 5.99m Van offers a number of advantages, but also carries compromises!

Steve
Got these steps for my first 5.99m hymer. Since then we've had all fixed beds. But now changed to this hymer 6.99m as it has loads of space but no fixed bed. The extensions make the drop down bed a great place to sleep. The steps have gained another life.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Always found the fresh water gauge quite accurate on all the Hymer's we have had, waste water gauge a different story.
I was wondering if I have a waste water gauge. It's on the panel but no show.
I always poke the hose in about 6 to 10", your tank and filler are the same as mine I've never had a problem filling.
Ah. I've always used the hose with a connector on the end so it stays in place without holding. Guess its time to change the habit of a lifetime.

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Ayers Rock
Exp
Since 2008
We had this problem when our van was new. Discovered that the dealer had not tightened the inspection cap on the tank so when I filled it the water flowed out of the inspection hole. Once tightened up it's never happened again. I did curse them!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was wondering if I have a waste water gauge. It's on the panel but no show.
Mine doesn't register anything until it's about 50% full.
Ah. I've always used the hose with a connector on the end so it stays in place without holding. Guess its time to change the habit of a lifetime.
That's what I do I just push it in the pipe a bit so it doesn't fly out if the water pressure is high.

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Inspection cap? Didn’t know there was one on my Autotrail Tracker. I’ve had a look and can’t see one anywhere. Any hints?
The tank overflows onto the ground when full.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Why hasn't someone come up with a shut off valve that detects the water pressure in the inlet pipe?

I fitted a toilet style float valve to mine. It is filled using a hoselock type connector. I can just plug in and come back 30 minutes later and remove the hose. Alternatively, I can bypass the valve and get another 20 litres in (it is a 210 litre tank), but then you have to watch closely. It would be hard for any gravity overflow to keep up with a pressurised water supply.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Inspection cap? Didn’t know there was one on my Autotrail Tracker. I’ve had a look and can’t see one anywhere. Any hints?
The tank overflows onto the ground when full.
There will be one somewhere probably in the top of the tank, I have seen some vans with an underslung tank with them in the top & you have to drop the tank out to get at them.

Sep 10, 2018
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Pilote P600
Exp
Since 2018
We also had problems when our m/h was new. We filled the freshwater tank and found water on the floor (tank is under the dinette seat). Lifting the seat revealed the overflow/breather not exiting to the outside of the vehicle.
IMG_1833.jpeg

Looking at the filler hose there is a spigot to take the tube just above it.

IMG_1835.jpeg

Connected the overflow/breather there (jubilee clip added after photo taken).

IMG_1837.jpeg

Then put silicone grease on the inspection bung and retightened.
All ok.

Now the filling procedure is to remove filler cap and replace with the Heos filler with about 18" of polythene pipe connected which is fed into the filler neck. Connect up the hose pipe and fill until the water starts overflowing around the filler, then disconnect the hose. Replace the filler cap with the lockable one. Just to be on the safe side we usually run off a few litres of water to ensure the water level in the tank is just below the lower end of the filler tube.
We usually travel with a full tank on our outward journeys.

Deleted User
How many who choose to brim their water tank have actually used it all without being able to get more somewhere?
Back in the day I brimmed the tank, but not the hot because it was winter and didn't want to lose it before running the heating. Half way down through France in December we stopped off for lunch and on finishing up there was a huge pool of water under the van. I'd run the tap to wash my hands and because the drain valve was still open all the cold syphoned out through the hot and drained the tank dry. Drove to all the Aires on our route but the water was off for winter. Eventually reaching Poitiers I caved in and went to Aldi and bought 60lts for next to nothing and away we went. 😁

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I completely fail to understand the logic of an inspection/access lid/bung (call it what you like) which is fitted vertically.

Aug 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer I580
Anybody else get this.
Left the filling hose in a bit too long while i went to the loo. Next time under the floor and carpet was wet, water tank top was flooded. Don't these have an overflow?
Ditto same as others have replied. I only fill mine to 75% if I’m on my own, or to 100% if with my co-pilot, and then it’s a very rapid switch off! I’ve found the water pressure at some sites would put a fireman’s hose to shame so no matter how big an overflow it won’t cope.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I completely fail to understand the logic of an inspection/access lid/bung (call it what you like) which is fitted vertically.
Allows you to get an arm in for cleaning I suppose.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
How many who choose to brim their water tank have actually used it all without being able to get more somewhere?
Back in the day I brimmed the tank, but not the hot because it was winter and didn't want to lose it before running the heating. Half way down through France in December we stopped off for lunch and on finishing up there was a huge pool of water under the van. I'd run the tap to wash my hands and because the drain valve was still open all the cold syphoned out through the hot and drained the tank dry. Drove to all the Aires on our route but the water was off for winter. Eventually reaching Poitiers I caved in and went to Aldi and bought 60lts for next to nothing and away we went. 😁
I tend to fill mine if I'm going to an unspecified site. There have been times when we've been very low and hoping it lasts so we can fill up in a better place.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think petroleum products will rot natural/ real rubber , but I believe Morden seals/ o rings are man made & do not have rubber in them
It rots neropene which is often used in O ring seals.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging

Steve
Can't you cut two legs off so that 2 are on the step and 2 the floor?

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
It rots neropene which is often used in O ring seals.
But are they natural rubber? I worked many years ago in a plastic/ rubber industry and many rubbers back then were being diluted or phased out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But are they natural rubber? I worked many years ago in a plastic/ rubber industry and many rubbers back then were being diluted or phased out.
Don't know but not worth taking the risk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back