Overflowing fresh water tank (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Can't you cut two legs off so that 2 are on the step and 2 the floor?
No! The Hab Door closes onto the internal step tread and there is insufficient space on the lower floor in the Van to site, or indeed , use them! The lower floor area could have been improved marginally with a little more time/thought at the design stage, but I can imagine the Accountant saying, 'Don't waste time on that, it is what it is and the customer will accept that we did the best we could with the limited space available'.

The metal caravan step works, after a fashion, and there are probably worse compromises/design flaws in other Vans. It certainly won't stop us from enjoying Brunhilde, but having seen the 6.9 metre version, Elaine and I agree that it would be another world! Unfortunately, that extra metre would stop us being able to park outside the flat, it would stop us parking in supermarket car parks properly, and it would cause us problems getting into some of the smaller, more remote parking places for overnighters, in nature reserves and similar.

Steve

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had real problem when the end hose nozzle came off the hose pipe while filling, it went down the pipe half way and stuck in a bend! could not reach it and eventually got it out using a vacuum Leaner. But I did not unscrew the inspection bung so the suction started to collapse the water tank and the screw tap to empty the tank popped out stopping the tank fully collapsing!

I now use a hose pipe connection cap on the inlet but I am not sure what would happen if I leave it and overfilled so only fill to 75%.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
None taken. I said when I joined the Forum that I only take life seriously when I absolutely have to, and there is so much about motorhoming where laughing at the bizarre installations, processes etc is better than crying! The 'bum otching' is a great example; the drop down bed finishes about 20cm beyond the raised habitation floor, so there is a 12cm drop in floor levels. 1st night away, we couldn't [despite 1 inch inside leg] otch the bum onto the mattress so had to resort to very unsafe use of the Hymer ladder which has only fixed hooks positioned at near ceiling height!

So next morning involved a trip to the Caravan Shop to buy a metal step to allow safe access to the bed ... Of course, most nights we lock the Hab Door, then curse quietly when we remember that we've forgotten to retrieve the step from outside, so it's unlock time and kneel down, poking around to locate the dew laden step whilst presenting the neighbours with an image of the moon coming over the mountains, before cursing again whilst digging out a cloth to dry the step ... These are the joys that we look forward to so enthusiastically ... :unsure: :LOL:

Steve
Then the wind picks up and realised the awning is still out(without stormstraps)šŸ˜€

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I've just posted this on another forum as I think I have the same problem.

2003 Hymer B584 with the water tank under the double floor. The inspection hatch is under the carpet in the middle of of the van.

After filling the tank to the top I had a short drive to my next destination and on checking one of the the belly lockers I saw puddle of water. I lifted the inside inspection hatch under the floor in the van to find that there was water sitting on top of the water tank.

I'm assuming that the water had come from what others have described as 'the overflow pipe' on the screw in top which houses the water pump in the tank. There is no sign of any pipe work that should be fitted to this 'over flow' pipe and it has been suggested that I just blank it off.
Not sure at the moment as it could have been that I had not done the screw in cap tight enough but I think I did!

Are these screw in caps common to most MH or are they a Hymer fitment only?

Attachments

• 50BD54E6-6522-4865-9493-4745D8DCDCA0.jpeg
    50BD54E6-6522-4865-9493-4745D8DCDCA0.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 17
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Can you get access to the top of your tank?
If so, have you considered watching it whilst someone fills up with water, so that you know exactly where the water overflows from?
All of the above mentioned issues are likely, but have a look at the top of my tank on the photo.
It's a large tank, so has two inspection screw lids.
You'll also see that there's a white cover which houses the connections for one of the water outlets, the breather pipe and the electronic gauge for contents.
I usually brim the tank when filling up as 'others' in the motorhome use water like they do at home. (I often think we've brought the bath when we go away as I live at the tap & waste on sites!)

I once noticed water in the locker as mine has a double floor.
I traced the water back and it lead me to the top of the tank.
Both red screw down lids were on tight.
What I did notice was that the sealant around the white cap must have been cracked, as water had seeped out of this area.
So check where the contents gauge is fitted or any other inlet to the tank and see if there's any water or pooling around this connection.
If you brim the tank and then drive, water will be slushing around in the tank and that's when you'll have a leak, in addition to leaving the filling hose on. So you might think you've been careful when filling to not over do it, but when you drive off, water could escape that way if any seals have gone.

Also, talking of overflowing when filling, you'll see that mine as a breather pipe fitted to the water inlet which goes into the tank.
This is supposed to help avoid the tank 'burping' and spitting out water.
It doesn't.
I use a HEOSAFE water connector when filling up and connect the hose via a push fit to that.
Depending on the pressure from the tap warrants how long it takes for the tank to 'burp'.
With some aires, you've no choice to turn the pressure down on the tap.
I've found that by adding a short length of cut down garden hose and securing with the jubilee clip to the inside spout of the HEOSAFE water connector, so that this short length goes further down the tank inlet filler and this does help.
When it does burp and water overflows, it comes back up the inlet and the HEOSAFE allows it back out.
You could also try opening a tap inside the van whilst filling up as again, I've found that this can help.
IMG_2126.jpg
IMG_2127.jpg
IMG_2128.jpg

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Many thanks for your detailed reply! I will do as you suggest and fill it to the top to see if I can identify where it might be leaking from - I'm fairly sure that the two screw on lids were secure but that is worth checking as well.

Mine looks like this so I will check all connections carefully.

Attachments

• 5B5581FA-4E21-4722-834F-2DDEE00866EE.jpeg
    5B5581FA-4E21-4722-834F-2DDEE00866EE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Many thanks for your detailed reply! I will do as you suggest and fill it to the top to see if I can identify where it might be leaking from - I'm fairly sure that the two screw on lids were secure but that is worth checking as well.

Mine looks like this so I will check all connections carefully.
You could also place kitchen roll/paper towels around the tank as that will indicate where any leak or overflow may occur

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do I need to type more slowly, then? :unsure:

Red Inspection Bung in Fresh water tank mounted vertically. Even when water level below the bung, the bottom section of the coarse, deep thread collects water from the previous higher water levels and when the Bung is released, the water accumulation escapes and runs down into the refill cupboard, so the trick is to grab the sponge and wash leather quickly to catch the spillage/leakage before it has a chance to settle under the water tank itself, potentially causing future problems with damp.

Steve
By 'bung' do you mean the screw cap?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've just posted this on another forum as I think I have the same problem.

2003 Hymer B584 with the water tank under the double floor. The inspection hatch is under the carpet in the middle of of the van.

After filling the tank to the top I had a short drive to my next destination and on checking one of the the belly lockers I saw puddle of water. I lifted the inside inspection hatch under the floor in the van to find that there was water sitting on top of the water tank.

I'm assuming that the water had come from what others have described as 'the overflow pipe' on the screw in top which houses the water pump in the tank. There is no sign of any pipe work that should be fitted to this 'over flow' pipe and it has been suggested that I just blank it off.
Not sure at the moment as it could have been that I had not done the screw in cap tight enough but I think I did!

Are these screw in caps common to most MH or are they a Hymer fitment only?
That pipe connector on top of the tank should have a hose on it connected to a similar point on the water filler inlet it's a breather & overflow.

1632301679540.png

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
By 'bung' do you mean the screw cap?
Yes, that's the technical term! And over the weekend, the internal washer began to 'wep' ... And there doesn't appear to be any stocks of the washer in UK. so a chamois leather wedged into the cavity under the tank and a daily wringing out will have to suffice until supplies are back to normal ... :rolleyes:

Steve

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
That pipe connector on top of the tank should have a hose on it connected to a similar point on the water filler inlet it's a breather & overflow.

View attachment 539878
Good spot Lenny. I looked at the photo when first posted but didnā€™t notice the male nozzle behind the other cable/pipe.
That could be it.
Theyā€™ll know if they sit and watch whilst putting hose in filler

Aug 31, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Camping since 1995, VW van (2009), MH (2015), PVC from 2022.
Brunhilde probably has the same coarse thread red inspection bung, mounted vertically. I am paranoid about the accumulation of water at the bottom of the thread [always oozes out, like a slow leak] when I open it,so have a spare car sponge and aged wash leather in the locker to catch any drips! Everything else seems very well thought out [apart from the drop down bed where the 'bum otching' onto the lowered bed has been calculated from the raised floor which stops about 20cm short of where the edge of the bed is, so you need kneecaps that fold in the opposite direction!], so the Water Inspection Hatch is a bit of an oddity.

Steve
The fresh water tank on our Travel Van is accessed via a service hatch on the side of the van. The large red inspection hatch is also mounted vertically, and leaks whenever it is opened - no matter how tightly it was closed. So we have kept a rolled-up microfibre cloth next to the tank, to catch the drips. You can never be too careful!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The fresh water tank on our Travel Van is accessed via a service hatch on the side of the van. The large red inspection hatch is also mounted vertically, and leaks whenever it is opened - no matter how tightly it was closed. So we have kept a rolled-up microfibre cloth next to the tank, to catch the drips. You can never be too careful!
Agreed! The sponge washer [120mm?] that fits on the internal face of the Red Service Hatch on Brunhilde began to 'weep' over the weekend. Ā£14.22 to replace, but there doesn't seem to be any stock in UK! So chamois leather rammed under the tank 'chin' to catch the drops will continue until/if we can get to Spain and hope we can get a replacement ... :rolleyes: (y) Tambo Motorhomes in Benicarlos [about 8 miles from the Benimar factory] will be our first port of call. If he hasn't got a replacement or cannot source one, Ramon can usually come up with a solution [the advantage of being a motorhomer himself!]

Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Agreed! The sponge washer [120mm?] that fits on the internal face of the Red Service Hatch on Brunhilde began to 'weep' over the weekend. Ā£14.22 to replace, but there doesn't seem to be any stock in UK! So chamois leather rammed under the tank 'chin' to catch the drops will continue until/if we can get to Spain and hope we can get a replacement ... :rolleyes: (y) Tambo Motorhomes in Benicarlos [about 8 miles from the Benimar factory] will be our first port of call. If he hasn't got a replacement or cannot source one, Ramon can usually come up with a solution [the advantage of being a motorhomer himself!]

Steve
Try some food grade silicon grease on the seal, it usually works.

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp

View attachment 539878
Thanks for your reply. That's a pain! I cannot see where the pipe has disappeared to - it does not appear to be tucked down the side of the tank and I cannot see any evidence of where it exits under the tank in the under belly locker or indeed connected to the water filler inlet. Also I have no idea how one would go about one would go about routing a new piece of pipe : (

In this picture (below) of my tank, on the right, is a dark coloured pipe and I have found one like this that appears to be connected to my water fill pipe which could maybe be a breather?

Is it possible that the pipe connector on my tank in the first picture should have a blanking piece attached to it or maybe a one way valve that would act as a breather/pressure equaliser when the tap makes a demand of the water supply?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 5B5581FA-4E21-4722-834F-2DDEE00866EE.jpeg
    5B5581FA-4E21-4722-834F-2DDEE00866EE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Try some food grade silicon grease on the seal, it usually works.
Thank you so much, Lenny! The 'weeping' has been niggling away [it's my character, or lack of it] since I found it. Is there a standard brand or source for the stuff, please?

The number of beers I must owe you is mounting up alarmingly; if I see you on a Rally, I won't be ignoring you, I'll still be saving up :rolleyes: (y)

Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thank you so much, Lenny! The 'weeping' has been niggling away [it's my character, or lack of it] since I found it. Is there a standard brand or source for the stuff, please?

The number of beers I must owe you is mounting up alarmingly; if I see you on a Rally, I won't be ignoring you, I'll still be saving up :rolleyes: (y)

Steve
Sorry can't help with a brand I've been using a 30 year old tube of MS4 not food grade but I'm still alive.
If you search Food Grade Silicon Grease plenty avaliable.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Sorry can't help with a brand I've been using a 30 year old tube of MS4 not food grade but I'm still alive.
If you search Food Grade Silicon Grease plenty avaliable.
Thanks, Lenny,
I've found RS Components and Brit Lube, so I'll call them tomorrow. RS Components quote Ā£15.78 but then add the VAT when you order, and quote free next day delivery on Page 1, but when you reach the payment screen, apply Ā£4.95 UNLESS your order is over Ā£30, which is a bit misleading, 'cos the Ā£15.78 suddenly becomes Ā£23.89, which is over 50% more than the headline figure!

Brit Lube have an Enquiry Form and Phone number, and the Form has a mandatory Company Name field so it may be Trade only; could be a lot of chasing my tail tomorrow! Cheers.

Steve

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, that's the technical term! And over the weekend, the internal washer began to 'wep' ... And there doesn't appear to be any stocks of the washer in UK. so a chamois leather wedged into the cavity under the tank and a daily wringing out will have to suffice until supplies are back to normal ... :rolleyes:

Steve
You could try giving your dribbling babies a bib ... yes I AM being serious!

1632343925910.png

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
You could try giving your dribbling babies a bib ... yes I AM being serious!

View attachment 540127

Tommy [Hat] Tippee for that, Minxy! I'm discussing silicone grease with Lenny HB ... :giggle:

Steve

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Tommy [Hat] Tippee for that, Minxy! I'm discussing silicone grease with Lenny HB ... :giggle:

Steve
I know you are but knowing 'menfolk' it's better to always have a redundancy system as a back-up for when you cock-up the first one! :LOL:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I know you are but knowing 'menfolk' it's better to always have a redundancy system as a back-up for when you cock-up the first one! :LOL:
I work by the Nymphomania Method; straight from one cock up to the next ... (y) :rolleyes:

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Update: Brit Lube only supply packs of 12 Silicon Food Grade Grease, and that would work out at just over Ā£150, plus, working on Lenny HB 40 year shelf life for his, I would need to live to be 548 to use the entire stock ... Ordered a single tube from simplybearings.co.uk [BritLube customer], but the tube does require a grease gun, rather than a mastic cartridge gun ...

To cater [every pun intended] for the possibility that the seal is gubbed [it looks pinched in a couple of places] I also ordered a pack of 2 O rings for just under Ā£6 and the bill stood at Ā£47.14 including Next Day Delivery ... Here we go again, with a job growing arms & legs and costs to match!

Then I found a pack of 2 V Rings for shafts of 115mm-125mm that looked much better suited to the original Burstner seal and appeared more malleable, so phoned simplybearings straight back; 'The courier has just picked up and your order is on its way', so the V Rings will be sent 1st Class Post tonight, and I hope that either the Silicon Grease plus the original seal [now air drying to avoid trapping the moisture inside the Silicon!]; OR the Silicon Grease + O Ring; OR the Silicon Grease + V Ring [that may need a bit of fettling to compress to the necessary thickness] will give a water tight seal and a damn great bill. The latter is guaranteed, the former is up for testing and debate :rolleyes:

Stay tuned for the next episode [like the Saturday morning Flicks with the hero facing certain obliteration...] :giggle:

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Why didn't you get it from Amazon?
I only use Amazon as the very last resort; I prefer to buy from businesses that don't shuffle turnover round the globe, charge themselves silly management fees & intellectual property rights fees etc, before dumping the suppressed profits into low tax regimes.
I will have the benefit of the grease gun that the cartridge requires [I have one kicking around at the back of my shed somewhere from about 25 years ago, but it has been used for bog standard grease and under car grease nipples etc, so not very hygienic!] and the backup of either the O Rings or the V Rings if the original V ring shaped Burstner seal is gubbed; and the extra cost is worth it to buy from a UK business that also sells online, pays UK tax and provides UK jobs, including staff who are available to discuss the best options to solve the problem.

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back