May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Anybody else get this.
Left the filling hose in a bit too long while i went to the loo. Next time under the floor and carpet was wet, water tank top was flooded. Don't these have an overflow?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Anybody else get this.
Left the filling hose in a bit too long while i went to the loo. Next time under the floor and carpet was wet, water tank top was flooded. Don't these have an overflow?
There should be an overflow which also acts as a breather pipe on mine but it’s capacity might not be as much as the water coming in

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Anybody else get this.
Left the filling hose in a bit too long while i went to the loo.
You can avoid that by having All-Bran or prunes for breakfast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Yep had the same thing happen to me..
If the taps flat out more water can come in than overflow out ..Gota keep your eyes on it
Why hasn't someone come up with a shut off valve that detects the water pressure in the inlet pipe?

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Ours flows out the overflow under the van. Are you sure your inspection cover is tight?
First time I tried it. Surprised (and pleased) that it was hand tight. Have to get a tightening tool.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
My overflow is higher than the top of the tank, as is the filler.

I did once leave the top of the tank off whilst filling and water overflowed into the van!!!!!

Luckily the van was not level and the overflowing water streamed across the 'laminate' flooring and straight out of the open habitation door. A bit of mopping and sweeping and the day/van was saved.

The normal scenario is that when the tank is full, water streams out of somewhere behind the filler cap, BUT a small amount of water collects in the sunken dip around the top of the tank, however not enough to spill anywhere.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
My overflow is higher than the top of the tank, as is the filler.

I did once leave the top of the tank off whilst filling and water overflowed into the van!!!!!

Luckily the van was not level and the overflowing water streamed across the 'laminate' flooring and straight out of the open habitation door. A bit of mopping and sweeping and the day/van was saved.

The normal scenario is that when the tank is full, water streams out of somewhere behind the filler cap, BUT a small amount of water collects in the sunken dip around the top of the tank, however not enough to spill anywhere.
This van it's under the floor. The last van it was under the seat and caused quite a mess as it started to fill the seat box and only later did we realise the carpets were getting wet. Yes, I have done it more than once.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No overflow on our Hymer, suspect the cap not tight on yours as already mentioned

if I overfill ours to the point where the filler tube is full we do get a bit of water on our garage floor. Cant get the cap any tighter, but we do travel full which can’t help 🤔👍

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Oh I don't know. Waste to empty, elsan too and then the loo.
I guess so, but at service points that I've used all the disposal and refill facilities are at the same place so I'm never more that a couple of yards away whatever I'm doing.

BTW - a hose pressure cut-off valve wouldn't work for me as with my m/h the hosepipe isn't sealed to the tank filler pipe but just poked inside the filler orifice (like a stick in a bucket).

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
You can avoid that by having All-Bran or prunes for breakfast.
But, if you get the ratios wrong, you can get an even wetter floor because of the delay caused by processing too much material in one visit .... Hence the invention of 'Time off in lieu' ....

Steve

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This van it's under the floor. The last van it was under the seat and caused quite a mess as it started to fill the seat box and only later did we realise the carpets were getting wet. Yes, I have done it more than once.
Ours has an overflow but what I usually do is run tap until gauge reads 100% then turn off and you don’t then get a problem when we had ours first the tank top was loose and did leak through until I got wise and tightened it up😊

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
The main reason is a useless design of the inspection access lid which leaks when water reaches it. First MH we’ve had that does that. Our fault for buying a Hymer

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The main reason is a useless design of the inspection access lid which leaks when water reaches it. First MH we’ve had that does that. Our fault for buying a Hymer
The same tank access caps are used on many vans, our Carthago included. They just need to be tightened firmly. The one on our lower tank takes a bit of extra effort as the water pressure from the upper tank will find any weakness, but it can be done. We even travel with full tanks.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Brunhilde probably has the same coarse thread red inspection bung, mounted vertically. I am paranoid about the accumulation of water at the bottom of the thread [always oozes out, like a slow leak] when I open it,so have a spare car sponge and aged wash leather in the locker to catch any drips! Everything else seems very well thought out [apart from the drop down bed where the 'bum otching' onto the lowered bed has been calculated from the raised floor which stops about 20cm short of where the edge of the bed is, so you need kneecaps that fold in the opposite direction!], so the Water Inspection Hatch is a bit of an oddity.

Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Anybody else get this.
The DL doesn't have an overflow just a breather that goes back to the filler neck.
You have to make sure the inspection cap & the cap where the water take off is are both very tight. Even if they are tight if you seriously overfill if can work the cap loose.

How did you get wet carpets with an underfloor tank?

Here's a tool I made eairler.
IMG20210906180610.jpg

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Brunhilde probably has the same coarse thread red inspection bung, mounted vertically. I am paranoid about the accumulation of water at the bottom of the thread [always oozes out, like a slow leak] when I open it,so have a spare car sponge and aged wash leather in the locker to catch any drips! Everything else seems very well thought out [apart from the drop down bed where the 'bum otching' onto the lowered bed has been calculated from the raised floor which stops about 20cm short of where the edge of the bed is, so you need kneecaps that fold in the opposite direction!], so the Water Inspection Hatch is a bit of an oddity.

Steve
Didn't understand any of that🤭

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Ours has an overflow but what I usually do is run tap until gauge reads 100% then turn off and you don’t then get a problem when we had ours first the tank top was loose and did leak through until I got wise and tightened it up😊
Not sure I'm prepared to stand watching a wholly inaccurate gauge. Especially when the site is a slow filler.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
The DL doesn't have an overflow just a breather that goes back to the filler neck.
You have to make sure the inspection cap & the cap where the water take off is are both very tight. Even if they are tight if you seriously overfill if can work the cap loose.

How did you get wet carpets with an underfloor tank?

Here's a tool I made eairler.
View attachment 533939
I've previously used a big adjustable spanner with a toggle bar through the hole in the handle. Your tool is probably better. The last van had the filler hatch well higher than the tank so you could hear the water as it filled the filler pipe. This one the pipe runs almost level and causes a trickle out when filling (still evaluating best way to fill to avoid losing water) I don't know how the carpets were wet. I lifted the carpet and there was a small puddle underneath, next to the floor hatch. Lifting the floor hatch showed that the top of the tank was flooded.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Didn't understand any of that🤭
Do I need to type more slowly, then? :unsure:

Red Inspection Bung in Fresh water tank mounted vertically. Even when water level below the bung, the bottom section of the coarse, deep thread collects water from the previous higher water levels and when the Bung is released, the water accumulation escapes and runs down into the refill cupboard, so the trick is to grab the sponge and wash leather quickly to catch the spillage/leakage before it has a chance to settle under the water tank itself, potentially causing future problems with damp.

Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Do I need to type more slowly, then? :unsure:

Red Inspection Bung in Fresh water tank mounted vertically. Even when water level below the bung, the bottom section of the coarse, deep thread collects water from the previous higher water levels and when the Bung is released, the water accumulation escapes and runs down into the refill cupboard, so the trick is to grab the sponge and wash leather quickly to catch the spillage/leakage before it has a chance to settle under the water tank itself, potentially causing future problems with damp.

Steve
On Hymers it's a clear or blue one in the top of the tank, I don't think the thread is quite as coarse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back