Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
I wonder how these acsi camping cars sites manage on €15 - €27 per night out of season ?
I dunno. I’ve said this before many times, I’ll say it again and I’m sure I’ll say it in the future. When we sold our site in 2013 we had to make an average of over £13 per pitch night sold before we started to turn a profit, selling about 10,000 nights per season. Thats all running costs, mortgages, loans etc and before taking into account any major repairs and capital developments. So at today’s rates that’s getting on for €16 per night. Sometimes out of season we outnumbered the campers.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Sorry, I think something must have gone wrong there, I’ve just tried to book 7 nights in July, no electric grass pitch, 2 acr, and it’s £192, less than £30 per night. I’d try again.View attachment 901553
We are a 9m tag axle and only got offered a jumbo grass non electric pitch which is now no longer available. I was logged in , recognised as a member and granted ACR discount.

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Just tried to book Wolverly Camping & Caravanning Club site in July. 9m x 2.3m tag axle, no awning, no electric, grass pitch!

£47.40 per night for 2 with ACR discount!

Pitch now gone anyway but that’s ridiculous!
Just don’t support it

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I'm booked in for one night at the Salisbury CCC site the week after next - grass no electric and just £13.30 which struck me as very reasonable, although it is just me which saves a bit.
Me the same price Walton on Thames £13.30 both acr

Reactions: DBK
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Did Cuba in 2014. Fantastic holiday. So much to do and explore. History, culture, music - Nothing like Cape Verdi.
We stayed in B and B's and then a hotel for the last few days if you were in the hotel all the time you could almost have been anywhere with a bit of Cuban music. You need to mix with the locals it's a great place but a little puzzling to people coming from a western European country. It broadens your mind

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
Getting back up to speed (returning after 30yrs lapse)
If you do don't go all inclusive you won't see much of the real Cuba
Agreed!

Try to find a local company to book with and just buy flight.

I was slightly nervous but Vamos Cuba arranged a fantastic 3wk trip for us - Car & driver, accommodation in private home B&Bs, visits to out-of-the-way places, English speaking guide in Havana, salsa classes - the works.

All at a fraction of the price of a week all-inclusive in a Varadero resort with Virgin... :cool:

Sadly I think they may have given up after Covid but I'm sure a quick Google will throw up some options.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Stayed just outside Roscoff last night, no facilities but EHU included, 14 Euros Now in the Dordogne, site a bit tired but Wi-Fi, EHU, shower and loo (clean) on the river bank, 900M to town and paying 85 euros for 3 nights.
OK the ferry from Plymouth was a bit pricy (£800) 8m with dog in cabin bit the best Bordeaux on offer in super market for just under 7 euro (£25 in UK)
I can’t believe what people in the UK are charging, and getting.
Last CL was £25, Pentlepoir near Tenby and was v good but I ain’t prepared to be any more than that.
I’ll Britstop it and get some beer for my money!
BTW
Pi55ing down at the mo!
We mainly do Europe too.

But here’s something to ponder.

If we went for only 2 weeks. Just to get to and across into Europe would cost the equivalent of £29 per night. Minimum

Then of course there is the cost of a site etc.

So in comparison those who charge and those who pay in the uk at £35 to £40 per night are saving money.

Losing out on culture etc which is why we accept the big cost of getting to mainland Europe.

Obviously for those who can do the 90 days the cost to get there comes down significantly. But those still working have to cough up.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Problem with going to Cuba is that if you ever want to go the the USA you will need a full visa not an esta!

May 30, 2017
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017
Despite having a deferred tunnel booking from a Easter trip that didn't happen, we've pretty much decided we need to stay in the UK this summer due to serious illness in the family (one parent). It'll likely be short trips away rather than our 3 or 4 week mega trip.

I've always fancied seeing Pembrokeshire and SW Wales so looked at a few sites to find out the cost. Oh my, even mid July the cost is easily coming in at over £40/nt for 3 adults and a dog, and some of these are no more than grass fields with a basic toilet block. No wonder we prefer to head a cross the channel.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have booked a CS for 6 nights near Silverstone on the F1 week, including the supplement for 2nd car and 3rd person £42 per night

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
On the campsite overlooking, Mortagne sur Gironde.
Fully serviced pitch (including black and grey disposal)
A proper grassy pitch.
A really helpful Guardian, (who looks like Carol Kirkwood's brunette sister)
Very clean and hot showers and washing up sinks.

The cost? £15 a night.

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We will average just under 25 pound a night in Carinthia for 5 weeks on 3 sites with full blown facilities and wifi.
Even the Aires are 15 quid plus a night if you can find them.
Luckily we have Germany to do on the way home for a fortnight so that should bring the average down considerably

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I understand why many people prefer to tour Europe and it is perfectly reasonable to extol all the advantages. However I don’t find it helpful when European prices are used to rubbish UK sites. The comparisons are often made with countries that are twice the size of the UK, have smaller populations, have different land values and different planning restrictions. I am a member of both the C&CC and C&MC because of their CS and CL networks but I am not a great fan of them or most of their managed sites. If I don’t like a site I don’t go back there and if I think the price is too high I don’t book it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I understand why many people prefer to tour Europe and it is perfectly reasonable to extol all the advantages. However I don’t find it helpful when European prices are used to rubbish UK sites. The comparisons are often made with countries that are twice the size of the UK, have smaller populations, have different land values and different planning restrictions. I am a member of both the C&CC and C&MC because of their CS and CL networks but I am not a great fan of them or most of their managed sites. If I don’t like a site I don’t go back there and if I think the price is too high I don’t book it.
I sort of agree if running a site in the UK is a sure way to make money why aren't more setting up?

Jun 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Pilote C6 2009
It has become madness in regards to pricing, a basic campsite just on the outskirts of Nottingham (previously Thorntons Holt - now called Nottingham - Camping and Caravanning Club Site) is £65/n or £55/n if a member, it was £30/n when privatley owned and from what I can see they havn't changed anything.. complete rip off.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Just tried to book Wolverly Camping & Caravanning Club site in July. 9m x 2.3m tag axle, no awning, no electric, grass pitch!

£47.40 per night for 2 with ACR discount!

Pitch now gone anyway but that’s ridiculous!
Jumbo pitch is why - did you try the GRASSUK40 code though, as that gives 40% off on most grass non-electric pitches, but I don't htink it works on jumbo (>8m) sizes.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
  • This offer can be used online only on stays for a minimum of 3 nights between 1st June and 22nd September 2024, and a maximum of 28 consecutive days.
  • To be eligible for this discount you must be booking a grass pitch only.
  • Please note this offer is not applicable on grass with electric pitches.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Despite having a deferred tunnel booking from a Easter trip that didn't happen, we've pretty much decided we need to stay in the UK this summer due to serious illness in the family (one parent). It'll likely be short trips away rather than our 3 or 4 week mega trip.

I've always fancied seeing Pembrokeshire and SW Wales so looked at a few sites to find out the cost. Oh my, even mid July the cost is easily coming in at over £40/nt for 3 adults and a dog, and some of these are no more than grass fields with a basic toilet block. No wonder we prefer to head a cross the channel.
It what one has to pay if one books in JULY, AUGUST & BANK HOLIDAYS!!

Why not holiday in June, similar weather at 1/2 - 3/4 the price?

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Why not holiday in June, similar weather at 1/2 - 3/4 the price?
Not based on current forecasts which is why we don't ourselves book until about a month before in summer periods. Until the weather outlook is known it's too risky with the price of campsites these days.

When booking cheaper (£10-15p/n things we obviously do take a punt).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back