Our motorhome made a hole and then fell into it! (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I drove onto the service area at the campsite to discharge the grey stuff and empty the cassette, suddenly there was a loud crunching sound and the beast lurched to the left.
My wife who had been guiding me over the grating was standing there mouth agape and shocked, even Archie the schnauzer knew something was wrong.
Apparently I'd driven over a weakened patch of concrete which had given way dropping the wheel into the hole.
Fortunately the hole was not so big so the whole wheel didn't drop down completely otherwise there would have been massive damage done.
The highly embarrassed owner and his wife gathered their mates around and after 2 hours of much engineering with timbers and huge trolley jacks we were vertical again, no damage to tyre or moho done.

Turns out they've only been here 3 months. They gave us a few beers, had a few themselves and suggested we stayed another night, no charge.
Not being one to turn down a freebie we agreed :D2
We're going for dinner now at their restaurant, wonder if they'll throw in a bottle of vin?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lucky escape, I imagine you were fearing the worst when you got it out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
What no pictures? And where are you :)
My wife whipped out the iPhone sharpish like so it's all documented.
We're in the dordogne but it's been so hot we're heading north, night before last was 30 degrees in the van!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
At least you didn't drop backwards into the Merde-hole , ten foot down and having to swim for it. It could have been a sinkhole, or even a BOG-hole, be thankful.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
At least you didn't drop backwards into the Merde-hole , ten foot down and having to swim for it. It could have been a sinkhole, or even a BOG-hole, be thankful.
There was some very questionable murky liquid in the bottom of the hole.
Lucky escape, I imagine you were fearing the worst when you got it out.
When it started to list to starb'd I really thought we'd had it.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Mmmm, sounds like you have concussion and a bad case of whiplash.
Best make the call...:D:D

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mmmm, sounds like you have concussion and a bad case of whiplash.
Best make the call...:D:D

Yeah ... and I'm sure that tooth was much straighter beforehand ... and their sex life isn't what it was before ... and his memory is suffering a little bit.

( I hope they remember who gave them all this advice, once the cheque comes through.) ;)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Yeah ... and I'm sure that tooth was much straighter beforehand ... and their sex life isn't what it was before ... and his memory is suffering a little bit.

Errr,
That sounds like me you have described and I have not even had a crash...:mad:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
when i lived in Erith about 16 years ago came home from work and noticed a small hole in the tarmac, for some reason couldn't let it go so went back with a broom, it only just fitted in hole but went all the way to the head. Called the council who said they'd get someone down within the next few days until I told them how deep it was. Funny they turned up in 15 minutes!

They coned the road off and next day turned up with digger and took 2 tipper loads to fill it.

Joe

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Was building a bridge and road in Portsmouth about 25 years ago and this chap with a Land Rover defender turns up to collect a compressor to tow back to his yard, I said to him you won't be able to get out over the other side so best reverse out as he drove of he said don't worry these Landys will go anywhere.

5 minutes later he is walking back down asking for a tow out when we went up the site the Landy had disappeared down a hole we had dug out and only the compressor was visible..:D:D
He's boss was not very happy..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one of our labourers put the back twin wheels of a transit tipper loaded with gravel through a broken manhole cover in a builders merchants. did some serious damage to the truck as i recall. smashed the rear light and panel and damaged the axle. we had to send another truck and transfer the load. it then took a forklift and a bigger wagon to pull it free

these days it would be a h&s disaster costing days of lost business. back then we just sorted the problem quickly and moved on.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Imagine what fun you could have if you get one of those 'we are phoning about the recent road traffic accident you had'........:gum:::bigsmile:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
A tanker driver told me that he was delivering fuel oil to a farm that he had not been to before and parked his wagon on the road to the house, to ask where the tanks were and when he was walking to the front door he heard a loud noise and turned round to see his wagon slowly turning over, he had parked on a large culvert which simply could not take the weight I asked him what did he do he answered I got my pipe out and had a long smoke:cool:

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
That crunching sound is the worst sound in the world
:(
Naa, the worst sound in the world is when you drop a £2 coin and you hear it rolling then a splash as it falls down the drain:whistle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one of our labourers put the back twin wheels of a transit tipper loaded with gravel through a broken manhole cover in a builders merchants. did some serious damage to the truck as i recall. smashed the rear light and panel and damaged the axle. we had to send another truck and transfer the load. it then took a forklift and a bigger wagon to pull it free

these days it would be a h&s disaster costing days of lost business. back then we just sorted the problem quickly and moved on.
Similar mishap a few years ago.
Working in a fire damaged property on Scarborough's esplanade when the 10ton builders merchants truck pulled up.
Now this building has an access tunnel, blocked off now at each end but still there, which runs from the property, under the road and emerges in the public gardens on the seaward side.
On the verge outside the property is one of those large rectangular bottle bottom glass manhole covers to allow light into the tunnel.....at least there was.
The driver reversed onto the verge and never saw it.
Both O/S rear wheels in the resulting hole, chassis sat on the verge and axle resting on what was left of the manhole concrete frame.
Took an HGV recovery truck about 1 hour to get him back on the road due to parked cars blocking his way.
That was an expensive materials drop.
Oh how we laughed :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back