Oridor sur glen (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are going to France on Saturday 8 April through the tunnel but only for 4 nights returning Wednesday 12 April around 4pm.
Do you reckon we could do it in that time?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Yes - but it would be a lot of driving :(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can do it but it will be a rush , better just do Ypres and surrounding area, surprising how good it is , and save oradour for the better weather, maybe even together with the twin lakes meet.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It is doable but wouldn't be a relaxing time; lots of driving and then the impact of the visit. I would have a couple of other options as well so you can adjust according to the weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I live close by and visitors have often asked me to take them.
You cannot fail to be moved by what you see there.
I always come away with a very heavy heart and do not feel like driving or talking much.
Better weather is important as you need to spend time just standing and taking in what you are seeing.April weather will probably be OK.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We stayed at Parcverger campsite which is less than an hours drive to Oradour sur glane. There is a aire at the other end of the village also. Well worth going if you have time. Very moving. The day we went there was only one other couple there and it was a cloudy day and so still. You could not help thinking of what went on. Be prepared to shed a tear.

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A bit of a rush I think.
It's such an emotive place you will need time to reflect afterwards rather than dash there and back.
We stayed at the air 2 nights so we had all day for the centre and the village itself.
Well worth visiting , if only to remind us that mans inhumanity to man can be a terrible thing.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Nine hours steady toll free miles to there,,well worth a visit. Aire in the village,,BUSBY.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Much too far in four days, unless you just want to drive for hours.
You will end up knackered when you get home.
When you look at a map of France it looks easy but folk don't realise what a big country it is.
Taking it fairly easy, so as to enjoy the drive and leave time to explore where we stop, I would want three days each way.

I would include Oradour in a longer trip sometime.

Richard.

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
Agree with the above. If you have any emotional feeling at all this place will definitely grip you by the throat. It brings a tear to my eyes now, just thinking about it, It's not a tourist sightseeing event, but an object lesson about the evil depravity and lack of normal human feelings that can manifest itself when some lunatic ideology is inflicted on ones fellow man.
The people who carried out this slaughter were pure evil along with the megalomaniac lunatic in who's name they acted.
Seems man has learned nothing from history, which is the whole reason Orrador exists today. A case in point being Syria and the evil so called Islamic state.
Humans aren't very nice, are they?.
I' d go in better weather and as part of a longer trip. The aire is very good and quiet.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ok. Will go another time as we only have 4 days this time. We stayed on Aires last year - Neufchâtel en bray, St Valery sur Somme, Honfleur and Fort Mahone Plage. All of them cost to stay - not that I mind as the price was reasonable but I keep reading about free Aires from you guys. Are we too near the coast or wrong area?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok. Will go another time as we only have 4 days this time. We stayed on Aires last year - Neufchâtel en bray, St Valery sur Somme, Honfleur and Fort Mahone Plage. All of them cost to stay - not that I mind as the price was reasonable but I keep reading about free Aires from you guys. Are we too near the coast or wrong area?
No, just choosing the wrong ones

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's fairly rare - now - to find a free aire anywhere that they happen to get a lot of visitors!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's fairly rare - now - to find a free aire anywhere that they happen to get a lot of visitors!
Don't think it's that rare, we spent five weeks this autumn in France, and only paid for about five, and then only because they were just where we wanted to be, you need some sort of app, there are loads, camper contact, park4night, searchforsites, to name but three, we have found alltheaires book is getting to mostly paid ones.
Edit in fact I think the oradour one is free, at least it was a couple of years ago.

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
Was there in early September 2016 and is still free. We arrived about 12 o'clock 10 minutes walk to town got back to van about 6 pm and Aire was full.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's hardly a place you need to go to twice, though you might need more time if you thought a hour or two was going to be enough the first time.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I can find you at least six free aires within less than an hour and we have just gone from there to Spanish border on free aires two with free electric. Not because they were what we chose as we do not mind paying for aires.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back