Opinions of different bathroom layouts (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It seems there are three options -

1. Toilet and shower in the same room
2. Separate room each for shower and toilet
3. A wetroom.

It seems to me the most economic in terms of space in the motorhome is no.3 followed by no.1 and then no. 2
The wetroom layout appears to be the least common in motorhome layouts, but to me would be the most attractive as shower space and elbow room would be increased.
What are the advantages or otherwise of these options?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
We have no1 option.
Make sure showerscreen is closed to prevent soggy big rolls.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
When looking for a van the bathroom points we wanted were a separate shower, not in different room, but didn’t want a wet room. I also wouldn’t have a shower curtain, and didn’t want to rearrange the room each time it was used. It was a big selling point when we viewed our Adria that we now have.
It has a shower cubical in the bathroom (obviously no bath) that has a bifolding shower door, so the room doesn’t get wet. I, being 6’3”, can easily fit into the shower, a permanent basin with cupboards above and below, and a toilet that can be used whilst either of the other two items are being used. it’s not massive but really well planned and laid out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The problem with a wetroom is nobody else can possibly use the loo, if taken short whilst your partner is showering, let's hope you can access a bucket else you're in trouble. Our first motorhome had a sort of wetroom, as you opened the door, the washbasin was across the LHS corner mounted on a wall across that corner so plenty of room, with a window in the middle of the side (back wall of bathroom) wall of the moho with the loo on the RHS of it. that bit of floor smack inside the door was the shower tray cos it all sort of folded out in a jigsaw. Very neat unless you wanted a shower of course - plus you needed a deep pile rug or 2 to chuck on the floor so as not to scratch the shower tray in general use as a loo. hence we wanted a proper separate shower with a bifold door in the next one, which we still have, Shower isn't very deep though so if either of you is beefy or much overweight, that could be a bit of a snag.

Is why loo&basin one side with separate shower the other, may be popular. Worth checking that when you open the loo door, it doesn't become your bedroom door - otherwise if either of you delivers smelly offerings, you may trap them inside your lovely private en suite bedroom all night - or maybe risk spreading the 'love' into the lounge/dining/cooking areas!

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
We have no1 option.
Make sure showerscreen is closed to prevent soggy big rolls.
Should read bog rolls.
Been married 36 years and still would not fancy either of us using loo for a two while other having a shower, far to whiffy for each other.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
All in one for us. And the bathroom should be in the middle of the van not at the back.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As with Tam, we much prefer the separate toilet and shower, as we store a few its in the shower tray and use it to hang wet coats etc. No fun at all getting the toilet soaked every time you shower

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have no1. Shower cubicle with sliding doors. Previous mh had a wet room, very inconvenient as we had to dry it out after a shower before it could be used for any other purpose. We don't use site facilities and both have a daily shower.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Separate shower and toilet. Shower used a lot for storage.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Morelo's standard is an all in one bathroom with sliding doors at each end to separate the bedroom and kitchen. An option is a separate toilet created by a door within the bathroom space, quite an expensive one too but very well executed. Whilst this reduces the towel swinging area it provides for dual use of the space at one time. The towel radiator in the toilet creates a drying space. It is our preference for flexibility and of course privacy. I would imagine that it is a very personal choice and would be influenced by how you live your life at home and not really a right or wrong way.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No. 2 for us, door closes across the gangway to give a dressing area also shower tends to be bigger.
Don't like loos in the shower you will notice nearly all the vans with cracked shower trays are ones where you stand on the shower base to get at & use the loo.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Only ever had vans with combined toilet and shower.
Downside is drying everywhere after use. Always fancied a separate shower that could be used as a drying space.
Our Hobby had curved sliding shower doors but if I dropped the soap it was nigh on impossible to bend down in the small space. I’ve modified it with a circular shower curtain but that brings a problem of drying it.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Full rear bathroom with shower cubicle. Gives permanent separate rooms rather than kissing door type layouts seen in many vans. Best layout we've ever used by miles.

sonny.png

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
How does that affect the garage?
That's one of the compromises. The garage is full width but only about one foot high. It's fine for the essentials - table, chairs, tool boxes, wellies, chemicals etc.. - we have a rear bike rack for transporting cycles and the twin beds have enormous storage space beneath them which is accessible from inside or outside.

Deleted User
Wet room as it takes up less space. Most people having a shower do not stay in long to conserve water and therefore not likely anyone else will need toilet at same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
That's one of the compromises. The garage is full width but only about one foot high. It's fine for the essentials - table, chairs, tool boxes, wellies, chemicals etc.. - we have a rear bike rack for transporting cycles and the twin beds have enormous storage space beneath them which is accessible from inside or outside.
Like everything in a motorhome, a compromise somewhere. But to be fair having a large garage in a short van is probably a wish too far. Your layout is what the yanks do in their 45ft RV's with a "bath and a half" as they call it. This Newmar Kingaire with a base price in excess of $1 million.
1605254657113.png

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We had it all in one room in the last van for 8 years and have gone for exactly the same in the new van so must suit us, but I also know some people wouldn't entertain that layout and want the toilet separate, it really is a personal thing.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Well for what its worth we have had four types of combined toilet/shower room over the years -

Wet Room - does what it says on the tin - in the main they had a shower curtain which could be a tad annoying especially when the shower tap is outside the curtain

Swing wall - we found these to be fun to set up - especially one of our Hymers where you had to be inside the cubicle to swing the wall so Mrs C had to be talked through getting out once, and showing prospective buyers was difficult.

Walk Through - where the toilet or shower are behind each other. These tended to have a lot more room for showering - our Laika had the shower behind the toilet which was useful if the other person needed the loo although it was tight squeeze getting past the marine toilet to the shower. The Burstner was one of my favourites as the toilet was at the back (bench type) and the shower consisted of two sets of folding screens which closed off the toilet and the sink/door. Had the most room in the shower than any of the others.

Across the back (current setup) my favourite so far (similar layout as post #15) Good sized shower and the easiest of them all so far to clean after use.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Wet room-pain in the ....... have to move everything that might get wet!
Seperate shower to wash room-nice idea but need bigger van.
Enclosed shower, bifold door-lovely.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
For us it is number 2 definitely. That is why we changed our first motorhome. Shower and toilet separate does not take up any more room than a toilet and separate shower in the same room. And the advantage with ours is that the space between them can be used as a private dressing room when we close the sliding door.

Effectively it gives us an en-suite bedroom that is separate from the rest of the motorhome. In the morning one of use can be showering and dressing in a good sized space, whilst the other can get on with preparing the breakfast etc. In our previous motorhome, with the shower off the toilet, trying to dress in the cramped toilet area was very difficult.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have a full width rear bathroom and love it's layout, with separate hand wash basin, loo and full size shower with no wheel arch obstruction.
We have the same arrangement.....we love it. We also have large wardrobe in it and just swallows up clothes, shoes, etc..

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Wet room in ours, does what we need
I find the modern separate shower cubicles a bit odd as most have a clear door that faces into the bedroom or walkway 🤷‍♂️

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Had a massive separate shower and bathroom in our 8.6m tag frankia and it was great. Now have a 6.3m PVC and the shower tray is under the passageway floor. Not as good shower experience but the extra space it gives for 99% of the time makes it a good compromise.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Definitely a separate shower with a door, especially if you have wet dog towels to dry! Whether that is in a full width end bathroom or side/corner probably depends on what length of van you want.

If a side/corner one, the position of the toilet is important. Have done the “Thetford Shuffle” and don’t want to repeat it.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
One thing I do not like comprising on is garage space to us a decent storage area is a must. With the price of bikes these days certainly wouldn't want them hanging on a rear rack.
Same here Lenny HB all the stories of issues on aires/sites are where someone has tried to nick the bikes off the rack on the back (or gassing of course ::bigsmile:), with bikes in garage no one knows they are there.

For us like many No2 separate shower and toilet each side of gangway with the door that swings over to create large en-suite dressing area.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have a no. 1 combined with a shower curtain. The shower area is big enough and we do not touch the curtain which keeps the rest of it all dry.

I do not agree with peterc10 about separate compartments not taking more space - just run the rule over the floor area.

I have written today on another thread that we are looking for an island bed layout, but they all come with separate shower/toilet and to get any similar kit/lounge area it means going up from 7m to 8+m. I would be much happier with an island bed and single shower/toilet in 7.5m which is all that is needed to accomodate the island bed alone.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back