One ticket or two? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Brightonbelle

Free Member
Jan 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
If you have a motorhome over 6ish metres and manage to get into a car park without a height barrier (grrr) would you buy one parking ticket or two given there is nothing on the tariff board that specifically states two bays equals two tickets.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Even if you buy two tickets you might still get a parking fine.
Easier not to bother trying to park a Motorhome in the UK. :LOL:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I don’t park in a marked-out bay car park unless I can get all 4 wheels in one bay and overhang the rear onto a verge or something, not another bay. Too risky unless it is stated that MHs can purchase 2 tickets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I've posted this before, apologies to anyone whose read it before, but it is funny, well sort of embarrassing :whistle2:

While on the Old Oaks site near Glastonbury on our first ever trip, we took the van into Wells to visit the street market and the Bishops Palace. Having read the motorhome parking booklet which came with the MMM magazine, we decided to use the Union St car park. There wasn't any purpose made MH spaces so we parked in a space with the vans tail end in an adjoining space.
I went to the P&D machine and read the instructions, it stated that if any of your wheels are over the line you will receive a fine, so I duly bought two tickets and placed them on the dash and jumped out and locked the van. I went to the front of the van to make sure that the tickets were visible only to discover that one had disappeared.
After much searching we came to the conclusion that it had fallen through a gap in the dash,:doh: so off I went to buy another ticket. With both tickets in place I turned to walk away and spotted a 'parking attendant' with his back to me looking all over a cars windscreen ready to give the car a 'ticket'.
I went over to him and said," Excuse me, our motorhome is parked across two spaces, but I've bought two tickets. I'm just checking that it's OK?"
He then started to point vigorously at the writing on his hat. It said in large letters, SALVATION ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
I thought I was going to die either with laughing or embarrassment:whistle:
I think I made his day:LOL::LOL:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I wouldn't take a the chance of parking over the lines in any Pay & Display car park, unless the sign clearly said to buy two tickets if needed. I say that because I would bet that with my luck, I would end up with a ticket, plus all the time I was away from the van, I would be worried about that happening, so would end up spoiling my day.
I really hate Pay & Display car parks at the best of times, but especially when away in the van for that reason, as we are 7.4Mtrs long.
Some car park charges are truly ripping people off, no wonder the high street shops are suffering.
LES

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I wouldn't take a the chance of parking over the lines in any Pay & Display car park, unless the sign clearly said to buy two tickets if needed. I say that because I would bet that with my luck, I would end up with a ticket, plus all the time I was away from the van, I would be worried about that happening, so would end up spoiling my day.
I really hate Pay & Display car parks at the best of times, but especially when away in the van for that reason, as we are 7.4Mtrs long.
Some car park charges are truly ripping people off, no wonder the high street shops are suffering.
LES
Our van is only 5.99Mtrs long and it was our first trip, a little/very green!! Wouldn't do it nowadays. I've since been told that the standard length of parking spaces is 5.40mtrs.
We can get away with it if the rear hangs over a grass verge, the size is great for the ferry too ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back