Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Well I think that’s what it is called.

I have just bought a halogen heater 400w 800w at present I pay 16.5 ppkw. So how much will it cost me to run it for 1 hour? How do I work out how many amps it will draw is it
240 divide by 800 =3amp?
As you can see I can’t get my head around electricity.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Volts x amps = watts

240v x 4 amps = 1000 watts (roughly)

800w / 240v = 3.33 amps

800w for an hour is 0.8 kwh * 16.5 = 13.2pp hour

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
ohms law is for current, volts and resistance.
You want the power formula :?
Watts / Volts / Amps / Ohms calculator
Watts (W) - volts (V) - amps (A) - ohms (Ω) calculator.

Calculates power / voltage / current / resistance.

Enter 2 values to get the other values and press the Calculate button:

Resistance (R):
ohms (Ω) kiloohms (kΩ) megaohms (MΩ)
Current (I):
microamps (μA) milliamps (mA) amps (A) kiloamps (kA) megaamps (MA)
Voltage (V):
microvolts (μV) millivolts (mV) volts (V) kilovolts (kV) megavolts (MV)
Power (P):
microwatts (μW) milliwatts (mW) watts (W) kilowatts (kW) megawatts (MW)
glyphicons_halflings_018_cog.png
Calculate
glyphicons_halflings_013_remove.png
Reset
Ohms calculations
The resistance R in ohms (Ω) is equal to the voltage V in volts (V) divided by the current I in amps (A):

rvi.gif

The resistance R in ohms (Ω) is equal to the squared voltage V in volts (V) divided by the power P in watts (W):

rvp.gif

The resistance R in ohms (Ω) is equal to the power P in watts (W) divided by the squared current I in amps (A):

rpi.gif

Amps calculations
The current I in amps (A) is equal to the voltage V in volts (V) divided by the resistance R in ohms (Ω):

ivr.gif

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W) divided by the voltage V in volts (V):

ipv.gif

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the square root of the power P in watts (W) divided by the resistance R in ohms (Ω):

ipr.gif

Volts calculations
The voltage V in volts (V) is equal to the current I in amps (A) times the resistance R in ohms (Ω):

vir.gif

The voltage V in volts (V) is equal to the power P in watts (W) divided by the current I in amps (A):

vpi.gif

The voltage V in volts (V) is equal to the square root of the power P in watts (W) times the resistance R in ohms (Ω):

vpr.gif

Watts calculation
The power P in watts (W) is equal to the voltage V in volts (V) times the current I in amps (A):

pvi.gif

The power P in watts (W) is equal to the squared voltage V in volts (V) divided by the resistance R in ohms (Ω):

pvr.gif

The power P in watts (W) is equal to the squared current I in amps (A) times the resistance R in ohms (Ω):

pir.gif

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Oh!! Out of habit I posted DC formula.
You may want to factor in the average power value for an AC application :eek:
Like described here

OP
OP
Vipar
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Thanks I will write it down.
This is my first lesson on trying to learn about the silent killer.

OP
OP
Vipar
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I need to play around with a meter. I really only want to play with DC as I need to learn so that I can find faults and check if I am draining the leisure batteries to quickly or by more than 50% as quoted in another post.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You only need to do one calculation. :)

You are paying 16.5p for 1000W for one hour.

So the cost of running an 800W device continuously for one hour is:

16.5 times 800 divided by 1000.

Which is 13.2p.

It may cost less if the device has a thermostat and cuts out once the room is up to temperature.

OP
OP
Vipar
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I intend to use it on hup as it is free, because my other half is a cold morsel. But I just wondered what it would cost, if I used it at home to warm the van before setting off in the winter.
If I have an item that I don’t know the values only that it is 12v how do I find out the amps it draws?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well I think that’s what it is called.

Since everyone, it seems, likes to score points in here. Why not me.

Ohm's law deals with resistance/voltage/current calculations - not watts.

Watt's Law ( not a well used term ) is about power which is measured in watts in honour of the Scottish engineer James Watt better known for his steam power. This is what you were asking about, power. By coincidence the 800W you quoted is very close to 1 horse power.

746W is the same as that mysterious horse that hauls our MHs.

It can get very much more complicated if anyone wants to score points with Joules. Mr James Joule.

All these British names that helped kick off the industrial revolution, we have to ponder, we had the brains so where did it all go wrong ?

OP
OP
Vipar
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
How can I save this post so that I can refer to it later or better still print it ?

Thanks for all those who replied. Sorry kevenh got a bit lost on the diagrams I am a hands on guy. Give me the tools and tell/show me what to do and I will be ok. Nowadays I tend to write everything down in idiots/dummies guide usually phonetically

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Bookmark it? The icon middle of the three top right.

Then look in your profile area for saved bookmarks

EDIT: tested. You easiest find saved bookmarks clicking on your name from the top line of options ^^.
Then choose the bookmark tab

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Since everyone, it seems, likes to score points in here. Why not me.

Ohm's law deals with resistance/voltage/current calculations - not watts.

Watt's Law ( not a well used term ) is about power which is measured in watts in honour of the Scottish engineer James Watt better known for his steam power. This is what you were asking about, power. By coincidence the 800W you quoted is very close to 1 horse power.

746W is the same as that mysterious horse that hauls our MHs.

It can get very much more complicated if anyone wants to score points with Joules. Mr James Joule.

All these British names that helped kick off the industrial revolution, we have to ponder, we had the brains so where did it all go wrong ?
Just to be pedantic ohms law will only give you apparent power, true power calculations are a bit more complicated I seem to remember they involve J notation.

Reactions: DBK

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Stealing your pedant's hat, Ohm's law is just resistance volts and current.
;)

OP
OP
Vipar
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Thanks got bookmarks working save trolling through all the posts

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have just bought a halogen heater 400w 800w at present I pay 16.5 ppkw. So how much will it cost me to run it for 1 hour? How do I work out how many amps it will draw is it
240 divide by 800 =3amp?
As you can see I can’t get my head around electricity.
Think of volts as how 'energetic' the flow of electric charge is.
12 volts means each amp carries 12 watts of power.
240 volts means each amp carries 240 watts of power.

800 watts at 240 volts requires 800/240 = 3.3 amps

Each amp of 240 volts carries 20 times more energy than an amp of 12 volts.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I need to play around with a meter. I really only want to play with DC as I need to learn so that I can find faults and check if I am draining the leisure batteries to quickly or by more than 50% as quoted in another post.
If you are trying to measure current (amps) then a clamp meter is much easier to use than a standard multimeter.

To measure current with a standard multimeter, you have to break the circuit and insert the test probes so that the current flows through the meter. That can disturb the system so that the fault you are investigating can change.

To measure current with a clamp meter, simply open the clamp and clip it round the wire, insulation and everything. No wires, no need to disconnect anything. It measures current by sensing the magnetic field that the current generates.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Sorry to disillusion you, but it was a pan-european effort. Georg Ohm (German), Alessandro Volta (Italian), Andre-Marie Ampere (French), to name but three.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If I have an item that I don’t know the values only that it is 12v how do I find out the amps it draws?
You'd have to measure it's resistance with a multimeter, then work out how much current it would draw by using this bit of ohms law I=V/R ?

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
If you are trying to measure current (amps) then a clamp meter is much easier to use than a standard multimeter.

To measure current with a standard multimeter, you have to break the circuit and insert the test probes so that the current flows through the meter. That can disturb the system so that the fault you are investigating can change.

To measure current with a clamp meter, simply open the clamp and clip it round the wire, insulation and everything. No wires, no need to disconnect anything. It measures current by sensing the magnetic field that the current generates.
To do that on DC you need a Hall effect clamp, a standard clamp won't do it, they only work on AC.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
While it is lovely to see people trying to help out, can I just point out that monkeying with electrics whether AC or DC, 12V or 220v when you don't know what you are doing and do not understand the concepts behind it can get you very quickly into serious trouble that can cause anything from burns through to fatality. Vipar 's question was a fairly simple one but no one answered with any form of caution on delving deeper. We have already had a thread on here relating to a battery isolator which taken at face value could have led to fire, serious damage and in the worst outcome death. Electrics are not to be trifled with, the 'silent killer' is an apt description. If you don't know, go to someone who is qualified and does know.

OP
OP
Vipar
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
312358305432 found this on eBay will it do the job?. I have no intention of touching AC ⚰️⚰️⚰️

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
312358305432 found this on eBay will it do the job?. I have no intention of touching AC ⚰⚰⚰
I had a fire in RH caused by a previous owner's hidden mod to a DC circuit. Very fortunately it was quickly contained and only caused minor damage. If it hadn't that would have been a total loss...

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
You'd have to measure it's resistance with a multimeter, then work out how much current it would draw by using this bit of ohms law I=V/R ?
Only applies to resistive circuits and not inductive or capacitive.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry to disillusion you, but it was a pan-european effort. Georg Ohm (German), Alessandro Volta (Italian), Andre-Marie Ampere (French), to name but three.

We let them think they were helping. It is a well known fact, the British invented/discovered everything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back