EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Have spent today looking at a few MHs. As per my Introduce Yourself thread we are newbies and looked at a couple of private sale vans and a good few at Wellsbridge in Ramsey.

Our thinking is that we will start with something quite cheap top see whether we like the life and liked the layout of the older Hymer B544s.

Can I ask for your views on this one please? Broken Link Removed

It has been owned by one couple since imported in 2004 who obviously cared for it. Full set of service stamps, MOT certs and a lot of service invoices etc along with an "owners handbook" he (recently deceased) put together with notes / photos on equipment and how things work.

Couldn't see one for Cambelt so am assuming I need to get that done at next Service / MOT in July. Any idea what that is likely to cost?

Wondering about payload - The rating plate shows:

2800Kg permissible total weight with Front Axle at 1600 and Rear at 1700.

It will just be 2 of us with 2 dogs (about 40Kg together) and associated stuff for long weekends in tht main but would like to take pop-up gazebo, picnic table / chairs and a small BBQ for example.

Not sure what it weighs at the moment but can anyone with experience of this model offer a view? It has what looks like the original sun awning, leisure battery, top box and cycle rack so guess they will have eaten into it.

Final query for now - Any idea why it has an aerial either side of the cab? If you zoom in on the windscreen pillars you can see them.

Thanks

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It looks a decent van for the age, looks like the interior woodwork has been painted presumably to give it a brighter appearance.
MOT history looks ok too but mileage is recorded at 150,000 whereas 94,000 in ad. Maybe Km recorded as miles on MOT ?
Worth checking miles and worth a closer look I`d say
At 2800 Kg payload should be ok for two plus dogs
A class moho`s frequently suffer poor radio reception so maybe owner added another ariel to remedy this ?

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
There are some rare original white wood vans.
There will be plenty of payload but won't say how much so as to avoid an argument!

Cam belt about £500 ( ish)

You will find cheaper but it looks a good buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
It looks a decent van for the age, looks like the interior woodwork has been painted presumably to give it a brighter appearance.
MOT history looks ok too but mileage is recorded at 150,000 whereas 94,000 in ad. Maybe Km recorded as miles on MOT ?
A class moho`s frequently suffer poor radio reception so maybe owner added another ariel to remedy this ?

Thanks. You are right on mileage, the 2006 MOT shows it in Km and then it is shown in miles from there on.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Km and miles often get mixed up at MOT time, does with ours as they just record the numbers and the units get mixed up.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
There are some rare original white wood vans.
There will be plenty of payload but won't say how much so as to avoid an argument!

Cam belt about £500 ( ish)

You will find cheaper but it looks a good buy.

Thanks. We have seen similar age ones advertised a bit cheaper and a bit more expensive but unless you go and view them all it's difficult to make fair comparisons.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
If you see one around the portsmouth Chichester area on the south coast i am more than happy to give it a once over before you travel . I own an oldish Hymer and know a bit about mechanics and how they should work so have an idea what to look for (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
We have a 1993 B544. We have had to fix a few things like rotten wood on inside lower passengers door. Rotten wood in corner of dash board where it meets the windscreen. Rotten wood under the shower floor. Replaced worn out struts on dropdown bed. Replaced worn out return springs in roller blinds. We found the grey water hose stored in the spring loaded rear bumper ends. We would not be without her now.

Attachments

• betsy.jpg
    betsy.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Pay for AA or someone professional to check it over vehicle inspection so you get some sort of insurance with it, if it goes pear shaped oops - buy a wrong one it is money down the drain - some parts will be like rockin horse poo - you wont find them

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Go look at it, be picky, take note of the smell when you first walk into van you will smell the damp if there is a lot of it and ask loads of questions.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Very little
If you see one around the portsmouth Chichester area on the south coast i am more than happy to give it a once over before you travel . I own an oldish Hymer and know a bit about mechanics and how they should work so have an idea what to look for (y)
Hi im up in scotland, and own a b544 , on a 98 plate i absolutely love my hymer, which ive only had since xmas , i looked at a lot of hymers on my search,
My advice is take your time the right van will come along,apart from the obvious, engine , bodywork etc, check everything, ask to see fridge working on all three meothods, and cooker oven,etc check all clips,blinds,locks as thease can mount up.
Brownhills ade very good at getting most things hymer if you require anything.
If you see any in scotland ill go have a look for you,
Theres a broker near to perth that often has hymers for sale but here in scotland they move quickly
Mark kingston

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think you may have misunderstood the weight situation. The way I read the OP is that the GVW is 2800kg not the payload. If that is the case I suspect it will have very little payload, if any. So the first thing to do before buying is check what it actually weighs empty. Only then will you be able to calculate the payload.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
We have a 1993 B544. We have had to fix a few things like rotten wood on inside lower passengers door. Rotten wood in corner of dash board where it meets the windscreen. Rotten wood under the shower floor. Replaced worn out struts on dropdown bed. Replaced worn out return springs in roller blinds. We found the grey water hose stored in the spring loaded rear bumper ends. We would not be without her now.

Thanks.

Drop down bed was a bit squeaky and needed both hands and a firm push / pull to get up and down. Does this indicate that they are on their way out?

The side blackout blinds both sides, that come up from the bottom of the frame, were very stiff and reluctant to go up or back down. Does that indicate springs need doing?

We were shown the location of the hose in the bumper.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
this is half the price. so you might not lose as much money if (when) you decide to sell. if you only want to 'test the water' it might be a better option but obviously read the advert and do your homework !! it seems to have had some bigger jobs done so might be worth looking at?

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
this is half the price. so you might not lose as much money if (when) you decide to sell. if you only want to 'test the water' it might be a better option but obviously read the advert and do your homework !! it seems to have had some bigger jobs done so might be worth looking at?

is it definitely an A class you want? there are lots of other coachbuilts that might meet your needs to see if you can take to motorhoming?

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
or this one at a little bit more, but from the interior it looks really well looked after!

we prefer a fixed bed motorhome, rather than making up the beds every night, but if you are planning to sleep more than two, then it doesn't make a lot of difference making up two beds rather than one I suppose.

I think youre doing the right thing it 'testing' brefore hand, but if its a case of not wanting to lose too much, then a higher priced vehicle that's in good condition might be a better option to sell on than a tired looking cheap van?

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
The 544 is, imho, a great layout although the lack of a garage might not work so well in practice.

But more constructively, have you had a look on Hymermarket on Facebook, currently some very nice c £10k Hymers for sale in a variety of layouts. Generally (but not always!) owned by Hymer enthusiasts so MAY have been slightly better cared for (not necessarily maintained better, but cupboards not wrenched open and problems arising from careless use) than others.

Good luck with the search

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Weight is a bit confusing. Plate numbers are as stated above but the Ducato instructions for the version in question state 3100Kg as does the Hymer Operating Instructions book and a vehicle inspection report from Germany in 2003.

How do I establish the definitive answer? Would DVLA know for example?

If it is 2800Kg (which sounds low to me as well), is it a paper exercise to get it re-rated to 3100 or 3300Kg (the max for the 2 axles)?

Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Well been back for a 2nd look today, crawled all over it and have done the deal, picking up tomorrow.

The adventure begins.

Have a few more queries which I will start separate threads for and have started to write the shopping list - kettle, pans, BBQ, pop up gazebo, crockery, glasses etc. etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Thanks.

The side blackout blinds both sides, that come up from the bottom of the frame, were very stiff and reluctant to go up or back down. Does that indicate springs need doing?

We were shown the location of the hose in the bumper.

A good dose of silicone spray on the blind "runners" usually cures it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
The only way to be certain would be for it to be taken to a weigh bridge and check.

Thanks, I will be doing that at some stage but that will only tell me what the actual weight is, I'm trying to clarify the maximum weight.

What I know is shown in the attached image. 2800Kg on plate but 3100Kg in manuals. It is a B544 on a Fiat 2.5TD if that helps,

Attachments

• Weight2.jpg
    Weight2.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
look for another plate possibly just a sticker you should have a hymer plate somewhere also what does the v 5 say

Haven't seen another plate or sticker but will check when it is in our possession. The image is from the "owners manual" that the previous owner, for 15 years, had put together so I doubt if there is a sticker he missed in that time.

No V5 entries for Revenue Weight, Max Permissible Mass, and Mass in Service. Are these normally present on a V5 (first MH so no idea)?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Hi here is our plate, the best advice is on sv tech site:
  1. Uprating of the gross weight may only solve part of your problems. You should check individual axle loadings to ensure you do not exceed the stated axle weight

Attachments

• DSC09308_2.png
    DSC09308_2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There are a couple of hymer groups on facebook that could be helpful.
Might be worth getting a remapping done so engine works more efficiently.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back