Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
While we are still wandering down memory lane let me just mention that Radio Caroline is now over 50 years old!

You can still listen via www.radiocaroline.co.uk. The 60's and 70's show on tuesday evenings is great.

Here's a pic of the Radio Caroline ship, the Ross Revenge, moored on the River Blackwater in Essex.

Paul

rossrevenge.jpg

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
And don't forget "Crackerjack"
Or the saying couldn't win a cabbage in crackerjack:)

CRACKERJACK!!! Remember how many items they tried to load on the contestants... Lesley Crowther was the host.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I remember having baths in a steel bath placed in front of the coal fire in Mays Lane. Only had an outside loo, don't remember a bathroom at all.:frowny:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In your mind, not mine!!

That was why they where taken OFF the jars, Some P-C divy complained that it was Racist.

My 2 Sons had the whole of the Golliwog Marching Band, little 2" high porcelain bandsmen, they stood on their bedroom window cill for years!

BTW. I still have my 110volt DC, Halicrafter, short wave radio. I could get BBC world service and VOA virtually anywhere in the world. It needs a valve, which are no longer available.

Pete

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
That was why they where taken OFF the jars, Some P-C divy complained that it was Racist.

My 2 Sons had the whole of the Golliwog Marching Band, little 2" high porcelain bandsmen, they stood on their bedroom window cill for years!

BTW. I still have my 110volt DC, Halicrafter, short wave radio. I could get BBC world service and VOA virtually anywhere in the world. It needs a valve, which are no longer available.

Pete

Won't mention the golly's!!. Keep your fingers crossed Pete, I might have one in the attic, as with another thread, I never throw anything away!!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Lesley Crowther was the host.[/QUOTE]

Go back a bit further
Eamon Andrews
(black n white day's) ;)
Oh and the Black and White minstrel show

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Lesley Crowther was the host.

Go back a bit further
Eamon Andrews
(black n white day's) ;)
Oh and the Black and White minstrel show[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're right. Did he also compare the Black and White Minstral shows?

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
As this thread started with the cost of things in those days, and we have somehow got round to TV shows, can anyone remember the cost of the TV licence ( Black and White, of course!!)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I'll nip up the crem and ask the old man !:)

10s or was that a radio licence

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988

Pete
Bet you a tanner if you started a new thread on valves someone would come up with one!

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Glass spark plug tester brand name was Gunstone colour tune, use to set petrol mixture on old cars, if it showed yellow it was running too rich so adjusted it till it turned blue, Mick still has one, old b***er

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Glass spark plug tester brand name was Gunstone colour tune, use to set petrol mixture on old cars, if it showed yellow it was running too rich so adjusted it till it turned blue, Mick still has one, old b***er

Well done! Been wracking my brain over what it was called!....:clap:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
[="runrig, post: 1381411, member: 690"]Glass spark plug tester brand name was Gunstone colour tune, use to set petrol mixture on old cars, if it showed yellow it was running too rich so adjusted it till it turned blue, Mick still has one, old b***er[/QUOTE]

Weren't that for tunning the carbs ? I still got one somewhere

Edit just re read the post doh! Its past my medication time

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I will qualify the above with my wages ( gap year and all that jazz.. which turned out to be somewhat longer ! )

I worked for DER as a television engineer ( and nooo.. not a bottle jockey but a proper, component level engineer ) .. My take home was £5.18.6d

DER , id forgotten about them:)i remember the man coming to the house and emptying the money box at the back , id get two bob for my pocket money that week:)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I can remember the man coming around the tenement in Glasgow to turn the gas light on and if you were really lucky he would give you a piece of carbide , which would then start a peeing contest amongst the boys to see who could wee on it ,the stuff would fizz when you did that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back