Old fridge not working on gas - fixed (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2016
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
1996 swift kontiki
Exp
New(ish)
Just wanted to add this for anyone with an older 3way fridge having problems cooling on gas and searching for a solution. I have an original Electrolux fridge in a 1996 kontiki which worked fine on hook up and 12v (now that I've replaced the relay) but wouldnt cool on gas. It would light ok but there was very little change to the flame when turning the control valve. After disconnecting the gas pipe from the burner unit to blow out the jet i noticed the end of the gas pipe was clogged up with a soot like powder. This was blocking the pipe and restricting the gas flow. It was difficult to remove and I had to use a small drill bit twirled between my fingers to get it all out. Now i have a better flame that adjusts when turning the control valve and the fridge works again. Anyone else come across this?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There seem to be some fridge problems around at the moment, mine included !
Do you have any experience of removing these fridges ?
I only have a top vent which when removed gives access to practically nothing.
I`ve not tried to remove it yet but how it`s fixed is not at all clear.
I have the manual and I think that shows some fixings so I`ll have to study that

OP
OP
mcb1
Oct 17, 2016
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
1996 swift kontiki
Exp
New(ish)
These seem to vary by make but mine had four screws, two either side, going through the casing of the fridge just inside the door. On some the screws are covered (hidden) by plastic caps. Also you need to be aware of the supply cables and gas pipe as you pull the fridge out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the fixings are accessed from inside the fridge. open the door and remove the round plastic plugs on the side walls near the door and remove concealed screws. remove top vent and flue. if fitted remove lower vent and disconnect gas. otherwise disconnect at the nearest joint to fridge. ease fridge forward and disconnect 12v and 240v wires. take fridge out

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
There seem to be some fridge problems around at the moment, mine included !
Do you have any experience of removing these fridges ?
I only have a top vent which when removed gives access to practically nothing.
I`ve not tried to remove it yet but how it`s fixed is not at all clear.
I have the manual and I think that shows some fixings so I`ll have to study that
I think on a 544 of your vintage the lower vent is either behind the rear 'bumper' or horizontal in the floor. Either way it's a devil to get at.
There has to be one though or the fridge wouldn't work.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Either way it's a devil to get at.
Your quite correct, lower vent is horizontal in the floor and impossible to reach without removing the bumper. I'm going to try and remove the fridge for a check over and try and determine why it's not working on gas.
Problem i may have is needing to get access to disconnect gas before pulling fridge out so may need to get to lower vent for that ?
Do you know if flexible gas piping was used ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Had the same issue a few years ago with our caravan, it's very small rust particles from the steel pipe that block the jet, I cracked the joins on ours and it was all dry and just fell out and worked a treat after. I asked the guy I got in to do the hab check to sort it out but he said it was the door seal at fault so I might as well buy a new fridge.

Now you understand why I do my own hab work(y)

Martin

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Your quite correct, lower vent is horizontal in the floor and impossible to reach without removing the bumper. I'm going to try and remove the fridge for a check over and try and determine why it's not working on gas.
Problem i may have is needing to get access to disconnect gas before pulling fridge out so may need to get to lower vent for that ?
Do you know if flexible gas piping was used ?

The gas pipe is solid pipe but you can pull the fridge out enough to undo the pipe because it's just behind the control panel on the front. Just ease it out until you can get too the nut.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
The gas pipe is solid pipe but you can pull the fridge out enough to undo the pipe because it's just behind the control panel on the front. Just ease it out until you can get too the nut.

On mine it was impossible to pull the fridge out even slightly with the gas pipe attached, but you can reach it from the outside through the top fridge vent, it is on the left and up slightly.

Unfortunately that means you have to keep putting the fridge back to check that whatever you have done has cured the problem.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
@Manic
Do you know, can i reuse the seals to hab area or will i need a kit to reseal ?

No, I didn't need anything when I took mine out. From memory, which isn't very good, it's sealed with draught excluder type stuff on the rear edges.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
In some cases the gas pipe needs to be disconnected from the rear before moving the fridge. This can be accessed by removing the external vents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back