Obselete Dometic RMD 8555 pcb’s (1 Viewer)

Apr 4, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2010
Hi to all. This post relates to a problem I had with my motorhome fridge. On board I have a Dometic RMD8555 fridge/freezer. The problem I had was that I was unable to turn the fridge off via the front display control panel or change it manually, it was stuck on gas. Unfortunately it appeared that Dometic no longer supply either the main pcb at the back of the fridge or the display pcb on the front of the fridge. However I did find an electronics company that do manufacture replacement boards. This company is called Apuljack Electronics Ltd of East Brent, Somerset. Having spoken to one of their Tech guys it was thought that the problem was probably the main pcb at the back of the fridge. So board purchased and easily fitted by myself but although some functions working fridge still would not turn off or manually switch to gas, 230 or 12 v. It did however hunt for the best supply on AES. So I bit the bullet and purchased the display pcb. Now this board has the power ribbon, which runs to the main board. soldered to the display board but Apuljack has come up with a joiner which you fix to the ribbon(16wires in ribbon) which you cut off the display board. So you dont have to remove fridge or replace ribbon. Both connected and fridge now working. Cost of these boards about a third of the price of a new fridge. If you got my problem worth looking at Apuljack. Sorry long winded.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Hi to all. This post relates to a problem I had with my motorhome fridge. On board I have a Dometic RMD8555 fridge/freezer. The problem I had was that I was unable to turn the fridge off via the front display control panel or change it manually, it was stuck on gas. Unfortunately it appeared that Dometic no longer supply either the main pcb at the back of the fridge or the display pcb on the front of the fridge. However I did find an electronics company that do manufacture replacement boards. This company is called Apuljack Electronics Ltd of East Brent, Somerset. Having spoken to one of their Tech guys it was thought that the problem was probably the main pcb at the back of the fridge. So board purchased and easily fitted by myself but although some functions working fridge still would not turn off or manually switch to gas, 230 or 12 v. It did however hunt for the best supply on AES. So I bit the bullet and purchased the display pcb. Now this board has the power ribbon, which runs to the main board. soldered to the display board but Apuljack has come up with a joiner which you fix to the ribbon(16wires in ribbon) which you cut off the display board. So you dont have to remove fridge or replace ribbon. Both connected and fridge now working. Cost of these boards about a third of the price of a new fridge. If you got my problem worth looking at Apuljack. Sorry long winded.
Very very interesting thread..
I too have an RMD 8555.. But my issue was that the gas would not light..
Replaced solonoid valve and rear PCB to no avail.. eventually after much searching i managed to source a front display PCB....
Hurray all good...
Reason for post is that I did contact Apuljack and was informed that they had, in the past tried to repair the display PCB they found it was covered in a sealing compound which was a pain to remove so decided to stop repairing these modules and therefore could not help.
So a question if I may.. did you send your display module to them for repair or have they got repaired modules in stock..
Still have my duff unit that i would like to get repaired as a spare..👍👍👍

Edit to add... just reread your post and see you said they "now manufacture replacement units".. need to contact them..... thankyou for info..

OP
OP
daxfish
Apr 4, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2010
Very very interesting thread..
I too have an RMD 8555.. But my issue was that the gas would not light..
Replaced solonoid valve and rear PCB to no avail.. eventually after much searching i managed to source a front display PCB....
Hurray all good...
Reason for post is that I did contact Apuljack and was informed that they had, in the past tried to repair the display PCB they found it was covered in a sealing compound which was a pain to remove so decided to stop repairing these modules and therefore could not help.
So a question if I may.. did you send your display module to them for repair or have they got repaired modules in stock..
Still have my duff unit that i would like to get repaired as a spare..👍👍👍
Hi poppycamper. No I bought their replacement display board. You cut all wires attached to the board and they have designed a simple screw clamp for each wire(6) of them but all have which colour goes where marked on their board, simple to fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
daxfish
Apr 4, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all again shoud have added that the joiner for the ribbon has a 16 pin plug which plugs directly into the replacement board so plug and play.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Hi poppycamper. No I bought their replacement display board. You cut all wires attached to the board and they have designed a simple screw clamp for each wire(6) of them but all have which colour goes where marked on their board, simple to fit.
Sorry to come back....
Does the display board come as a complete unit or do you fit the curcuit board into original dometic body..
Had van 7years and I have replaced display twice.... unlucky or what? Use van mainly off grid so rely on gas operation, so always nervous it going to go again.. never got any notice... worked fine, then it did not..
However worked fine otherwise..
Thanks..

OP
OP
daxfish
Apr 4, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2010
You just cut off old board and replace with replacement board in same housing just screws in. Regards your gas problem, iI had similar where gas would not light. My neighbour who was a heating plumber who advised me to remove burner cover and use an aerosol can of compressed air and blow out burner of old rust dust etc did this and worked fine ever since.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
You just cut off old board and replace with replacement board in same housing just screws in. Regards your gas problem, iI had similar where gas would not light. My neighbour who was a heating plumber who advised me to remove burner cover and use an aerosol can of compressed air and blow out burner of old rust dust etc did this and worked fine ever since.
Thankyou...
Yep did that too.. by replacing burner unit..
I now have and carry spare burner unit, solonoid valve and rear PCB.. just need a spare display unit to make a full house..
As good as the RMD 8555 works, when it does, as you can see i don't really have much confidance in it.. which is strange cause I had same unit in my caravan for 12yrs and it never batted an eyelid..
Again thankyou for the heads up ref Apuljack...👍👍👍

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi. You said the cost of the new boards was a third of the cost of a new fridge? The fridges are quite expensive. Can you advise a ball park cost for the boards please.
(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back