O2 to reintroduce EU roaming charges.. (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
64DFFA7A-B6ED-445E-87AA-9FC2F7652FFF.jpeg

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I have been with o2 for years snd presently have 150 g a month. In the past prior to COVID when I had 100 gig and we longtermed on mainland Europe At no time was my monthly allowance capped. I used all my allowance each month with no issue. Now my 150 gig contract will be capped at 25gig this will impact on me. Good job the contract finishes in November. If all goes well and I Am back in Spain in September for six months I will have to get a Spanish sim

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have been with o2 for years snd presently have 150 g a month. In the past prior to COVID when I had 100 gig and we longtermed on mainland Europe At no time was my monthly allowance capped. I used all my allowance each month with no issue. Now my 150 gig contract will be capped at 25gig this will impact on me. Good job the contract finishes in November. If all goes well and I Am back in Spain in September for six months I will have to get a Spanish sim
Check out superdrug, currently £20 month unlimited and at the moment you can use all of your data in Europe, it's on a one month rolling contract so you can cancel at any time if they change the allowed data whilst roaming.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Don't forget all the virtual networks, plusnet is competing against EE and EE own them 👍
this is an interesting one, the wholesale part of EE (or any telco) has a unit price for companies this price is the same for the retail arm so the competition comes in on customer service and how lean you can make the white labeled re-sellers (normally with stupid names) and they compete against the retail arm. its just a race to the bottom rather than 'competition and innovation' and its normally the employees that suffer with long hours and low pay....

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Check out superdrug, currently £20 month unlimited and at the moment you can use all of your data in Europe, it's on a one month rolling contract so you can cancel at any time if they change the allowed data whilst roaming.
Will keep an eye on all sorts. The problem with the likes of Superdrug SIMs are that they piggy back onto a main supplier and then follow their respective policies. My wife has an unlimited monthly with a rolling company for £20,in the small print clearly states 20 gig roaming, I have researched and most unlimited had a cap for Roaming. I believe all the companies putting Roaming limits on the contracts this year if you take into account the limited travel probabily in around Covid. Latter in the year and next year one company will to get business especially with the unlimited data contracts, they will offer more and more roaming data for use. So probabily this year its a local Sim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Superdrug is a white labeled re-seller of the 3 network....

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Superdrug is a white labeled re-seller of the 3 network....

It is, but at the moment you can use all your data whilst in the EU, it's on a rolling contract so you can cancel at any time, if you're going to travel into the EU it's worth a try, I've bought one and have been using it here in the UK so far so good, when I get over to the EU hopefully next January I'll report back, I'm pretty sure some others on here have them too.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
EE just announced a £2 charge per day for contracts from July onwards for next year in 47 European Countries...
They didn’t though did they? They introduced the £2 per day charge for EU use for new customers and those upgrading. For existing customers roaming remains as is.
Guess that’s not as headline grabbing though is it?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a thought all these families that are going to have to pay a huge % more on their holiday because they are taking their phones with them. Have they thought of instead of being on their phones they could try talking to each other and seeing what the country that they are visiting is all about.
Would it make a difference though? If the £2 roaming charge is made each day it will still be incurred whether they actually use the phone or not, simply because it is turned on.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I will be ringing Three and telling them straight I will be moving to O2 due to this. The more people who do it, the more likely it will be they will all follow.

It was a ridiculous move in the first place after the assurances they all gave it wouldn’t change.
A waste of a telephone call. Three are a big organisation and have done the math. They will not care a jot about you and other brits moving to another provider in a protest move against roaming charges. There money is made elsewhere.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A waste of a telephone call. Three are a big organisation and have done the math. They will not care a jot about you and other brits moving to another provider in a protest move against roaming charges. There money is made elsewhere.
It’s not a waste, they have the option to waive the charges and keep me.

Either way for me it’s a win win.

A wasted call is one where they refuse and you still stay.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I have been with three since that first started many years ago. They have just sent me a message that they no longer offer one of my plans. When renewing to a different contract I will be charged £2 per day when using my phone abroad. Obviously being a customer for over 20 years with 2 contracts means nothing.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If I could not afford it I would leave the phone at home or if I was that skint not go at all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
An update from my usage back in September 2021through to November. I still have the 150 G per month usage with O2. As soon as I got into Spain in September I received a text message informing me that my usage was capped to 25G per month. So that was a first for me having a restriction after years of travel without. So now its clear that they are coping the amount we can use per month. Obviously around roaming charges for telephone calls it appears they are not introducing these this 2022. So for us using 4G as a streaming service is to cause us difficulties.
Due to set off again for a month all being well in March and will probably sort out a Spanish Sim card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back