Now TV.....how much data does it use? (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Don't watch a lot of sport on TV but I like F1 and the Memsahib likes cricket.
Been thinking of getting Now TV so that we can pick and chose when to subscribe to a GP weekend or a test match.
At home we have unlimited broad band but when away are limited to 15gb per month on the phone.
Will a test match or GP weekend wipe out my data allowance?

Richard.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Now TV according to its own forums is a data gobbler
sample below and many more examples available
they suggest best suited to unlimited data allowance only

Hi there,

Just recently bought a NOW tv box with free month cinema pass. I watched 2 films at the weekend and it used a massive 13 GB of my data allowance (which is not unlimited) and i only found out because BT contacted me to say i was nearing my monthly allowance.

Is it just movies that use up a lot of data? Or will watching iplayer, all4 etc use up a lot of data also.?

Thank you in advance.

Hi

NowTV content has a maximum resolution of 720p (1280×720) , so I'm surprised it used that much data.

I would always advise people that if they going to use streaming services regularly, then they need to be on a connection which has unlimited data. Unlimited data is not uncommon these days for fixed line connections. In fact, they are more common than connections which have data limits.

To ensure that people don't sign up to something that has data limits I would advise everybody not to go for the broadband deals that you see in TV adverts Most of these have data limits. If you wish to look for broadband deals go to the websites of ISPs, then you should easily be able to see whether a deal includes unlimited data. A lot of ISPs now provide unlimited data as standard.

Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 years and not long enough
You can watch F1 for free on astra1 almost anywhere in Europe we do, it is on the RTL channels for the next 3 years so you do not have to give MURDOCH or sky any of your money, they show qualifying and the race live.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I wanted to watch the rugby last month in France, used almost exactly 1Gb to watch only the first half of the first match

went into town to find a bar, just as Scotland scored to overtake France o_O

they were OK about it, even saying Scotland were playing better (y)

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You can watch F1 for free on astra1 almost anywhere in Europe we do, it is on the RTL channels for the next 3 years so you do not have to give MURDOCH or sky any of your money, they show qualifying and the race live.
Thanks. I have watched races on RTL a few times when abroad.
Only problem is I don't speak a lot of German so the chat and commentary becomes annoying.

Richard.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You may find a lower bandwidth stream on Mobdro. And it’s free!
Have you used it @BreweryDave?
It's not available from the Apple App Store which sometimes means it is a 'bit dodgy".
Had a quick look at the website and it appears you can only download from there, which also sounds a bit dodgy. The grammar on the website was a bit 'iffy' as well so I guess its not from country with English as its first language. Russian kept flashing up in my head.
Perhaps I'm just being cynical or paranoid but that little red warning light was flashing away in my head.

Richard.

Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 years and not long enough
Mobdro is safe to use as we use that as well for films etc.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Have you used it @BreweryDave?
It's not available from the Apple App Store which sometimes means it is a 'bit dodgy".
Had a quick look at the website and it appears you can only download from there, which also sounds a bit dodgy. The grammar on the website was a bit 'iffy' as well so I guess its not from country with English as its first language. Russian kept flashing up in my head.
Perhaps I'm just being cynical or paranoid but that little red warning light was flashing away in my head.

Richard.
Only on Android, but is safe.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
It's a shame there's no way to adjust the settings (like on Netflix).

Hopefully they'll add this at some point.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Mine doesn’t use any data when I’m listening to the Light Programme on the wireless. Must be some new fangled contraption you have.
:D:D;);)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back