Novice attempts a Peugeot Boxer conversion. (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
The van arrived today at 3.30 pm. They very kindly agreed to deliver it free of charge because I couldn't collect it because of the lock down.

(It looks much bigger sat alongside the car than it did among the other vans in the dealers yard! ? I'm going to have to get used to driving it when we are allowed out again.)

The van is a 2013 Peugeot Boxer 2.2L Diesel L3H2. It's had one other keeper since new, who seem to be a reasonably large conservatory company. So hopefully they have maintained it reasonably well.

I hope people will enjoy reading about my progress. I've enjoyed reading through old posts about other people's conversions on here! Hopefully too people will be able to help when I get stuck. I'm more than open to comments and observations because I don't really know what I'm doing!! So this could be fun. :hi: The only thing I have in my favour is that I did reasonably well in wood work in high school. :smiley:

van Picture1.png

Before

The picture below shows the what it was like at the start of the day inside, with the old wooden panels that once held the sides of peoples conservatories.

Van 5.jpg

After Day One

Van 6 - Day 1.JPG

Van 7 - Day 2.JPG

Next Jobs

1. Removal of the wooden fixtures on the passenger side.
  2. Removal of the wooden paneling on the side of the van.
  3. Clean everything inside - treat any rust spots (only found one or two very small bits so far!) and paint.
  4. Fixing holes where once there was a frame hung on the outside of the van. - I pan to put bolts in with rubber washers to seal it up. Any better ideas peeps?
  5. Removal of the metal frame around the drivers seat to make space for either a hatch or door from cab into living area.
  6. Ordering and installation of sound deadening material. Any recommendations?

Issues For Pondering

1. The sliding door seems to be lacking a handle to open from the inside - tricky as this was the planned main entrance / exit.
  2. The airbag warning light is on on the dash - dealer said he fixed this. Either he lied or its broken again on delivery.
  3. Indicator on drivers side works but plastic is smashed. Same too with lights at back on passenger side.

Attachments

• van Picture2.png
    van Picture2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
How long have you allowed yourself to complete the project?

Greetings peeps welcome from West Kent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Good luck with your conversion (y)

There are alot of people on Youtube with howto videos!

This guy is really good and very knowledgeable !

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I can see what is in my opinion a big mistake in that you talk of a hatch or doorway into the hab area. No professional converters separate the front seats from the rear and always incorporate them into the build by making them swivel round.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Screwfix and Wickes etc sell big rolls of silver bubble insulation that you can stick to the inner walls and ceiling with spray glue.
I've just done My work Ford Tranny Van as a Hybrid work/ camper type van.
Saniclad 2mm plastic sheeting for the ceiling
5KW Chinese Diesel Heater.
Mini Heki Skylight.
LED Lights
Roof rack with ladder roller
Leisure battery.
Solar panel.
Truma Elektro 13L 240V water heater
Aquaroll with submersible pump
Sink
Bed
Genny
240 sockets
12V sockets
etc

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
That was a lot of replies very quick! Thanks to all for taking the time to write something.

Good luck with the build. Looks like the roof rack could be a bonus for mounting solar panels, but a pain for opening rooflights.

Thanks. I only intend to put one two way fan in - but I also intend to get a professional to do it. No way am I brave enough to cut a hole in the roof!! ? I might have a go on the back doors, just because if I do royally mess it up I can get a replacement door.
1585429467014.png

How long have you allowed yourself to complete the project?

Greetings peeps welcome from West Kent.
I've not given myself a time frame. It's just an as and when thing. However, with the pubs shut (I'm an assistant manager in a pub) I should have quite a bit of time. Only thing will be getting hold of materials with the current climate.

Good luck with your conversion (y)

There are alot of people on Youtube with howto videos!

This guy is really good and very knowledgeable !

I have watched his build series. It's really useful and he clearly knows what he's talking about in great detail.

I can see what is in my opinion a big mistake in that you talk of a hatch or doorway into the hab area. No professional converters separate the front seats from the rear and always incorporate them into the build by making them swivel round.
I appreciate that. However most of the heat is lost through the windscreen and side windows. I intend to use my van in the depths of winter. So a wall would be best insulation. But nothing in the plan is set in stone!

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Good luck and happy to help if needed :)

The airbag light. I'd get the dealer to fix this. It could be a simple 12p resistor, but it could be the airbag ECU (expensive). This is a known fault if van is jump started with the door open. Common when dealers have the van on forecourt for a while.

EDIT Where in Cheshire? I'm in Middlewich and have a diagnostic thing

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
That was a lot of replies very quick! Thanks to all for taking the time to write something.

Thanks. I only intend to put one two way fan in - but I also intend to get a professional to do it. No way am I brave enough to cut a hole in the roof!! ? I might have a go on the back doors, just because if I do royally mess it up I can get a replacement door

I appreciate that. However most of the heat is lost through the windscreen and side windows. I intend to use my van in the depths of winter. So a wall would be best insulation. But nothing in the plan is set in stone!
We have used our van for 6 months in Winter for the last 7 years albeit in Spain, however it still got cold at nighttime and an external silver screen keeps it warm.
The front seats when turned round are the best seats to be in for long periods.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Good luck and happy to help if needed :)

The airbag light. I'd get the dealer to fix this. It could be a simple 12p resistor, but it could be the airbag ECU (expensive). This is a known fault if van is jump started with the door open. Common when dealers have the van on forecourt for a while.

EDIT Where in Cheshire? I'm in Middlewich and have a diagnostic thing

I wouldn't really be bothered but it's nice to be safe and mostly because I read that it is an MOT failure? I also read that it was quite a common thing.

I'm about 15 minutes from Middlewich. It would be very kind of you to let me use your diagnostic thingy. Perhaps when BoJo lifts the lockdown? If the offer still stands then I'll buy the tea or the pints. :beerchug:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I wouldn't really be bothered but it's nice to be safe and mostly because I read that it is an MOT failure? I also read that it was quite a common thing.

I'm about 15 minutes from Middlewich. It would be very kind of you to let me use your diagnostic thingy. Perhaps when BoJo lifts the lockdown? If the offer still stands then I'll buy the tea or the pints. :beerchug:
Sounds good. I think I'm stuck here (in van) for months as we stand. This is me by the way:

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
We have used our van for 6 months in Winter for the last 7 years albeit in Spain, however it still got cold at nighttime and an external silver screen keeps it warm.
The front seats when turned round are the best seats to be in for long periods.

I have to admit that I'm more open to the idea of no wall than I was a couple of months ago. Mainly because I could crack the window a touch without having to put one in the back doors.

However you also loose any stealth. It becomes very obvious what it is and I like the idea of being hidden.

?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Good luck with the conversion, I wouldn't block the cab from the living area i'd incorporate it. We've just sold our PVC and used it in temps as low as -13 while sking at Glenshee, we used screen covers and no issues. I think closing it off would make it a completely different experience, your living area will be smaller. You might like stealth but if you ever have to move you'll need to go outside. Put a curtain behind the seats if no screen cover then folk wont see in the back when sleeping.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The only trouble with "stealth" is that others might just think its loaded with some thing that's valuable for a quick resale ? :)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I have to admit that I'm more open to the idea of no wall than I was a couple of months ago. Mainly because I could crack the window a touch without having to put one in the back doors.

However you also loose any stealth. It becomes very obvious what it is and I like the idea of being hidden.
?

Be careful with stealth, DVLA are clamping down on motorhome conversions, Google 'DVLA Motorhome Conversions.'

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
anyone else planning a self build, there will be a lot of cheap vans for sale in the next few months sadly due to businesses failing

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I’d say don’t separate the cab from the rear in case you ever have to move quickly. It will also make your living space smaller and make you feel boxed in. A curtain between the two works fine. Good luck with your conversion. We need lots of pics!

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Good luck with your conversion, it's great fun. Enjoy.

Blue lagoon

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
Citroen relay xlwb
Exp
4 years
Good with the conversion and always remember ... it's supposed to be fun. I've just finished my conversion of Citroen Relay L4H2 so if can be any help just drop me a line. .. before and after pics attached.

I am using mine throughout the winter so had the the van spray insulated which sorted out the sound deadening at the same time. It's well worth the cost as no condensation...warm and toasty ...and car like noise levels ... see pics

Have fun..

Craig

Attachments

• 20170806_153002.jpg
    20170806_153002.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG-20191216-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20191216-WA0006.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 20200216_170124.jpg
    20200216_170124.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 20170723_192443.jpg
    20170723_192443.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 272
OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thanks again to everyone kind enough to leave a comment. A lot of information and some good advice for which I am grateful.

Day Two

Today I removed the last of the wooden shelving, the side paneling and the floor. This wasn't as easy as it sounds, with several screw heads having been rounded off by the previous owner or rusted so they would not screw out. The tactic applied was holding the screwdriver on the screw head and giving it several good smacks with a lump hammer. I got a sufficient number out this way to remove the plywood flooring. I intend to keep this to use as a template for the new floor, although I intend to move the joins under the kitchen units and my bed. Some screws still remain, poking up out of the floor. They will get the grinder treatment tomorrow. No more Mr Nice Guy!! ? :roflmto:

8 - Day 2.jpg

I was amazed my the amount of filth, dust, much and old screws under the flooring. Just look at this pile! That said I am 45 pence richer, having found the previous owners hoard of coins beneath the old shelving unit.

9 - Day 2.jpg

At the end of the day:

10 - Day 2.jpg

Jobs for next time!

There really isn't much sign of rust at all, which I am very pleased by. There are however a few bits where unpainted metal can be seen. If I am to buy a tin of paint I may as well paint the entire floor. So that's a job for the list.

The task of removing the cage around the drivers seat was hampered today as it seems to be attached in places with a screw/bolt/thing with a very peculiar head. Anyone seen this before? What is it? Where can I get a tool for unscrewing it?

11.jpg

What's that?

Can anyone recommend any particular paints for covering the floor? Hammerite paint in white seems an obvious contender.

I'm really enjoying this, so far.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
They are Hex bits. Quite common across these vans.

Regarding the paint, it won't be seen so something that's a good rust inhibitor. I used red oxide, but anything similar would be good.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
those are Torx head screws

remove the rusted and damaged screws from the metal using a pair of mole grips

painting the floor does not need to be pretty, just pour hammerite or similar metal paint with rust inhibitor in puddles and brush or roller out. will take 20 minutes rather than 2 hours

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back