Not impressed with Autotrails idea of options! (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Looking at A class ones , not seen any British ones;)

Ditto but did look at the only UK A Class the Rollerteam Pegaso at the NEC but frankly didn’t like it quality wise.
Autotrail used to produce an AClass but not for long , no idea why but I guess they weren’t popular .

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
As a relative new comer to the site in my opinion Autotrails are crap!:D:D:D:D

Just saying I'll shut up now and jump back into my box.

Popcorn ready and standing by :D:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have a bit of a thing about Autotrails.

I recall sitting in my brand new Burstner A class looking longingly at an older Autotrail that drove onto the site.

It’s what floats your boat I suppose

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I didn’t fancy the grey cab so opted for all white

Just shows all down to personal taste, I would have happily paid the extra £600 for the grey cab on a tribute version.

No wonder there are such an incredible choice of layouts and designs.

In fact I cannot think of anything else like Motorhomes that are so varied.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
A number of UK manufacturers have stuck there toe into the A Class market without success. Unfortunately, they all faced challenges and were discontinued after a short run. 1998 was the launch year of the Swift Bel Air and they continued production until early 2002 they made a number of models and I purchased one of the smaller Bel Air 710 (I think) Great van and still on the go. Seen it for sale on e-bay a year ago. Earlier models had windscreen issues and the damage was done. Next was the Autosleeper Mirage which I have no idea of issues but did not last long. Then came along the Autotrail Frontier which again was dogged with issues and was axed after a short run.
I assume it costs more to manufacture an A Class and they are not worth the effort for the limited UK market so they stick to what they know with coachbuilts

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder which, if any, of the following factors come into the decisions of British Manufacturers not to offer 'A' Class MHs.

They cannot order RHD cab chassis in sufficient numbers to get a good price.

The UK makers are more numerous than say Hymer Group, which can order base vehicles in greater numbers for discounts

Some UK builders are owned by Continental companies that already produce 'A' Class

There are not such good standards of workmanship and fittings in UK MHs in general to be able to compete with Continental marques

The British are tight-wads and will not pay the prices charged for the extra cost of producing an 'A' Class and good quality

Because the Continent benefits from having Aires and their counterparts, which require a greater degree of independence in terms of on-board facilities, then 'A' Class are more suited to that way of MHoming.
In our 7 weeks in France recently we certainly found that the Aires often had more 'A' Class than 'C' and PVCs

Just a few jottings

Geoff

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A number of UK manufacturers have stuck there toe into the A Class market without success. Unfortunately, they all faced challenges and were discontinued after a short run. 1998 was the launch year of the Swift Bel Air and they continued production until early 2002 they made a number of models and I purchased one of the smaller Bel Air 710 (I think) Great van and still on the go. Seen it for sale on e-bay a year ago. Earlier models had windscreen issues and the damage was done. Next was the Autosleeper Mirage which I have no idea of issues but did not last long. Then came along the Autotrail Frontier which again was dogged with issues and was axed after a short run.
I assume it costs more to manufacture an A Class and they are not worth the effort for the limited UK market so they stick to what they know with coachbuilts

I believe that the AS Mirage was a re-badged Italian built A Class. The Italian company is no longer in business. Apart from the special order Machzones, that only leaves 2 genuine British built A Class MHs, which were only in production for a relatively short time.

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
One day, my dream A Class :Grin::Grin::Grin:

can;t see my picture

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I took this photo last week. I think someone is not impressed with their Auto-Trail

Attachments

• IMG_9754.JPG
    IMG_9754.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 47

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Try buying a BMW motorcycle. There are paint 'options' metallic is extra £250 and other specialized paint option is £1450. But if you don't want these options there is no basic paint colour, so no option but to spec and option !!

Yes these manufacturers are having a laugh.

I have a BMW motorbike, the F800ST, no extra for paint work, so what model requires paint options??? I have never ever heard that one. . .

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Autotrail list their Media packs under options.

I always thought if something was optional you could choose to have it or not, but apparently with Autotrail an "OPTION" is actually an "Either OR" you cannot even get a factory order without one of the media packs.

To make things worse they have deleted the cheapest pack for 2018 so you now have to have a sat nav and tv with your new Imala.

I have a pefectly good sat nav and tv so why would I want to spend £1149 for duplicates and apart from that where they have positioned the tv you would not be able to watch it from either of the cab seats, GREAT.

I do like the look of the grey cabs on the Autotrail but I have spent my hard earned cash elsewhere where I only had to pay for what I wanted.

Sorry rant over.

P.S. I have heard some come with water features F.O.C
Yeah that’s right, they’re known as leaks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back