Not impressed with Autotrails idea of options! (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Autotrail list their Media packs under options.

I always thought if something was optional you could choose to have it or not, but apparently with Autotrail an "OPTION" is actually an "Either OR" you cannot even get a factory order without one of the media packs.

To make things worse they have deleted the cheapest pack for 2018 so you now have to have a sat nav and tv with your new Imala.

I have a pefectly good sat nav and tv so why would I want to spend £1149 for duplicates and apart from that where they have positioned the tv you would not be able to watch it from either of the cab seats, GREAT.

I do like the look of the grey cabs on the Autotrail but I have spent my hard earned cash elsewhere where I only had to pay for what I wanted.

Sorry rant over.

P.S. I have heard some come with water features F.O.C

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We were able to order our new van without reversing camera, radio and TV
Like you I already had a TV and wanted to chose a different radio.
Saved a fortune and got the spec that I wanted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Autotrail do not have a monopoly here. Others do the same (make packs obligatory) yet refer to a basic price and unladen weight without.

D

Dafydd 2

Deleted User
As a relative newcomer to this site, I find much of what I read to be informative and helpful. However I must admit to finding some posts, in particular those that always run down British manufacturers, particularly tedious and often childish.

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I should point out we were only considering U.k. vans as we prefer the layout, not being a fan of dinettes and limited cooking facilities (certainly all we could find circa £50k in European moho’s.

We actually bought a new U.K. Moho and as said I think the Autotrails look fab in the striking colour scheme and would have bought one if OH had preferred them

But does not mean that I like being offered an option that I have no choice to accept and as said for 2018 that has just got a whole lot more expensive.

None of the other Moho’s built in U.K. force you to buy a sat nav and tv at £1049.

For the purpose of sharing info I had assumed you would not have to have the option when placing a factory order but salesman advised that was not possible as Autotrail had nothing else available to fill the hole in the cab roof lining.

So not bashing country of origin just an observation of marketing from me personally.

As a relative newcomer to this site, I find much of what I read to be informative and helpful. However I must admit to finding some posts, in particular those that always run down British manufacturers, particularly tedious and often childish.

D

Dafydd 2

Deleted User
So, why the footnote “I have heard some come with water features FOC” ?.
Also one if your previous post “Oops I broke one of the Tribute motorhomnes at the NEC”. Suggests some sort of an agenda to any reasonable and fair minded person. Aslo suggest it would not take too much of an effort to libel oneself!

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Another bash at Autotrail ??
But a valid point. Its a matter of taste and usage.
Ours DID come with a media pack, and we like it.
But it is a Tracker with 2 side benches, so we CAN lay back and watch the TV in comfort.
Each to their own.
Mitch.
Ditto

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Well I like Autotrails(y)
Ours is an Autotrail and it is our first Motorhome and have no complaints . Yes, we did have some problems with the media system but that was resolved.
I do feel a little aggrieved that we were not offered the " foc water feature"!

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Try buying a BMW motorcycle. There are paint 'options' metallic is extra £250 and other specialized paint option is £1450. But if you don't want these options there is no basic paint colour, so no option but to spec and option !!

Yes these manufacturers are having a laugh.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Welcome as a relative newcomer to the site, one thing you should be aware of though with perhaps a little more understanding of why some members have negative view of certain manufacturers, we for instance have owned 3 Autotrails over 8 yrs, the first two were of a very good build quality, the last one we bought new in 2013 and the difference in materials and build quality is so much inferior.
The walk in first impression is excellent, it`s when you look a little deeper you find the shoddy workmanship, most of it is only small things which should have been picked up on the quality control inspection or at least in the PDI that take the shine off your brand new investment.
Then you have to go through the process of getting all these problems put right, which as we are all aware of can turn into a nightmare.

So perhaps the builders and dealers really do have reason to have a look at themselves and get their act together to provide a better built product that does reflect the very high price tag.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Also one if your previous post “Oops I broke one of the Tribute motorhomnes at the NEC”. Suggests some sort of an agenda to any reasonable and fair minded person. Aslo suggest it would not take too much of an effort to libel oneself!
I think you may be being a little too sensitive on both those points. This is supposed to be FUN remember, not FACTS.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Maybe it would have been less annoying had the footnote referred to hinges coming loose rather than water leaks... :whistle:

Sorry... The demon on my shoulder made me post that... :(

JJ :cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Welcome as a relative newcomer to the site, one thing you should be aware of though with perhaps a little more understanding of why some members have negative view of certain manufacturers, we for instance have owned 3 Autotrails over 8 yrs, the first two were of a very good build quality, the last one we bought new in 2013 and the difference in materials and build quality is so much inferior.
The walk in first impression is excellent, it`s when you look a little deeper you find the shoddy workmanship, most of it is only small things which should have been picked up on the quality control inspection or at least in the PDI that take the shine off your brand new investment.
Then you have to go through the process of getting all these problems put right, which as we are all aware of can turn into a nightmare.

So perhaps the builders and dealers really do have reason to have a look at themselves and get their act together to provide a better built product that does reflect the very high price tag.

We bought ours from @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes and I can testify to a very thorough PDI because we turned up unannounced when they were in the middle of it. Very impressed and any minor niggles we had were put right straight away.

I think dealer is as important as brand.

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp

Oops I don't want to buy British because I want a Classic Hymer, they are gorgeous and in my price range, whereas you do not see that many Classic British vans still on the road pre 1990's .

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Oops I don't want to buy British because I want a Classic Hymer, they are gorgeous and in my price range, whereas you do not see that many Classic British vans still on the road pre 1990's .
You are obviously not looking hard enough.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
I think you may be being a little too sensitive on both those points. This is supposed to be FUN remember, not FACTS.

It was meant "tongue in cheek"

I did have an "Agenda" having agreed with OH we wanted a fixed bed and front paralell lounge and as I am the over analyser of the two of us compared with OH lack off patience investigating purchases I spent the last four month creating a short list of nine moho's and left OH to make final decision at NEC once she had checked the layouts so all of them I would have been happy to buy. Seven of these were Autotrails which included 3 used (Tracker FB, Tracker RB, Dakota,) Imala 730,732, 715 and T715. The other two were Elddis 155 & 255.

So this meant I have spent a lot of time looking at Autotrails and there spec sheets and price lists and made a bee line for the Autotrail stand and particularly was interested to see the difference between the Imal 715 and its cheaper T715 equivalent by over £2.5K even with driver pack and Lux pack added (ironically no Media option available) so thats another selling point then;)

The only difference I could see was the flat fronted overhead locker doors and not such nice oven but £2.5K cheaper wow. With reference to my post and shock at the ricocheting door latch it is probably the sort of mistake you would only make once so it would not have put me off buying the cheaper T715 but as they are apparently aiming it at the rental market and will probably have a different family in the vehicle most weeks I can see the latches having to be replaced very regularly (cue cheesed off mechanics.)

For purpose of full disclosure with reference to my post re width of moho's the Baileys did not even get on my shortlist at 9' 1" wide. I am sufficiently worried about getting wedged in a narrow gateway as my new moho will be 4" wider than our 2008 Swift.

I would not have known what to do with an extra 8":D

Having orderd a new UK Moho I have warned OH to expect some teething problems, I thought I should appropriately limit expectations:whistle:

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We love our delaware, but agree about the naff drop down TV, not being able to be viewed from the cab seats, still prefer the layout to the dinette

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp

So do I, the Grey cab and detail look stonking!!!

I will have a new Moho arriving in March made from glued together bits of old tree, but I do get the Alde heating so not all bad

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
We looked at the Autotrail Tribute 625 at our local dealer 1 week before the NEC show. They were offering the same deals that would be on at the show. This included one of 3 options. 1) One years free insurance and Category 1 Thatcham alarm. 2) Flamma Rollout awning and cycle carrier. 3) A 19 inch television and Sat Nav. They offered a part exchange 1 thousand pounds above what I had been offered elsewhere on a similar priced van. As we were not interested in any of the options they were prepared to offer 3 years habitation. The 2 years Fiat service and the third year MOT. Very tempted but not impressed with the quality of the fixtures including 2 broken locker catches. Were these deals similar to the NEC.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So do I, the Grey cab and detail look stonking!!!

I will have a new Moho arriving in March made from glued together bits of old tree, but I do get the Alde heating so not all bad

I didn’t fancy the grey cab so opted for all white

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I am sorry to say, that IF I where fortunate to have the price of a New Autotrail. I would probably still go for something "A" class, and by definition "continental". I think I am right in saying the last UK built "A" was a Swift?. But Machzone made one or two to order. Also whilst I have a Fiat base M-H at the moment. I am unimpressed with it. Just so very few alternatives with the "Right" layout.

I DO NOT want a massive "garage"!!(n), which all the current "fad" seems to be about.

Sad to say, I was probably spoiled by 3 R-V`s.:(. Although I could run one of these on a C1.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Also £700 cheaper

This was back in 2013. I don’t recall it being cheaper to be honest I just didn’t think the grey cab looked right. My wife didn’t agree at the time - but does now(y)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I thought Autotrail were French? ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.