LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Route so far as tracked on my Garmin InReach...

Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 19.19.27.png

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
So, made it to Puttengarden for the night, ferry tomorrow to Denmark!

You've missed off the best bit of the German Baltic !
I'd have gone from Sassnitz on Rugen
Still, you can do it on your way back !

I'll be following your exploits, as looking at a very similar route for next spring

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks

once zinger to Denmark I will publish the map share link - that tracks at 10 minute intervals so you can watch the route almost in real time if you are nerdy enough.

Brought the InReach with me as a precaution since travelling solo - it is a sat phone so has worldwide coverage so if I did get into difficulty where there was no phone signal I would still be able to send a message. Good bit of kit for going into the wilds

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
You are in for a treat, I went by train from Manchester to Narvick 3 years back, got stuck in minus 40 degrees and got bussed out to Sweden where it was a sweltering minus 28! And the trains were ok at that temp! Took 5 days in the arctic circle for the lights to show, but when they did it was amazing! Best place to view for us was in Sweden at abisco?? Near to the ice hotel, unbelievable, enjoy your trip....be patient the lights will appear

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Following on here in anticipation. What a trip, absolutely no reason why i couldn't just jump in the van and do the same.
How do i follow the trip on that map thing??????

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Following on here in anticipation. What a trip, absolutely no reason why i couldn't just jump in the van and do the same.
How do i follow the trip on that map thing??????
PM me and I will send anyone who would like it the map share link. 😀

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Started by request from my S*d it I'm off thread - got so stir crazy I had to get away and decided to tick off one of my bucket list items by going to see the Northern Lights

The rough route attached - set off from York today to find my electric step was playing up - seems to be okay now. Eurotunnel to Calais - have used the tunnel several times as I prefer it but TWO firsts today...
1 - I was the only person ion the Eurotunnel line up when I arrived - thought perhaps it was a walking dead moment!
2 - Had to drive the full length of the train (because I was the first and only one) and made it to the end without knocking either of my wing mirrors in - I always seem to catch Ione but not today.

Safely ensconced at Gravelines Arie for the night and heading off to Dusseldorf tomorrow - will meet up with a friend looking at a Morelo then straight up North

View attachment 423427

Ive looked at this SO many times, and theres always been a reason to NOT do it, but those reasons have been slowly slipping away.

I'm down to two excuses

1. I have a project in hand to fit sererval automated gates starting next week

2. SWMBO has cats, and cover needed.

so either get rind of SWMBO or cats

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I stood freezing in snow up a mountain for 3 nights and saw nothing. At breakfast before getting the shuttle bus to Reykjavik airport the waiter took great pleasure in telling us they'd been seen last night in Essex.

We were in Iceland a couple of years ago .People going on Northern lights trips the 2 nights before saw them ...although some elde said they had to use an App on their phones to see them?
Our night trip was cancelled due to too much cloud ..

Apparently that weekend they were seen in the UK
However the cloud in Iceland brought ice storms and snow so the scenery was amazing..bloody cold tho

Apr 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Converted transit
Exp
This is on my bucket list. Roll on retirement! Just don't have time for such at the moment.
if you don't get to see the Aurora let me know and I'll send you a pick of another greeny phenomenon:- my face, with envy! I'm so inspired by your gumption to just do it!

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Having watched the girls in the Sunlight YouTube Chanel travelling around Scandanavia, enjoy looks great

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
They have to let you in. Tell em we are all watching and waiting, if they don't we wont buy another Volvo or anything from Ikea again (tried to get both country's in there. I know i know Volvo are Chineese)
Anyway, fingers crossed.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
This is on my bucket list. Roll on retirement! Just don't have time for such at the moment.
if you don't get to see the Aurora let me know and I'll send you a pick of another greeny phenomenon:- my face, with envy! I'm so inspired by your gumption to just do it!
I had lunch yesterday with a very dear friend and was talking about some of our past adventures. Then she looked at me and said that she has to accept that there are so many places that she will never see. Time cash and health are running out.
JUST DO IT !!!!

Apr 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Converted transit
Exp
I had lunch yesterday with a very dear friend and was talking about some of our past adventures. Then she looked at me and said that she has to accept that there are so many places that she will never see. Time cash and health are running out.
JUST DO IT !!!!
Ah that it were so simple. A lone parent, with health worries .... lots of excuses. But. Every birthday is a day nearer to freedoms not currently available. And I've plenty else to delight in, and will sorely miss, until then.
But this post has needled my resolve.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Denmark - they let me in :LOL:

Emptied the black and grey and filled up the fresh before heading out. 10 minute drive to the ferry from Puttgarden to Rodby - 45 minute crossing - not crowded and went on deck to limit the time with a mask!

Short drive to this spot in SearchforSites, Bandholm Strand, barrier entry, pay with a card - was 150Nkr (about £13) plus another £3 for 5KwHrs of electric. Don't normally pay for electric as have big Lithium batteries but they hadn't had a chance to recharge properly on the two short drives. You can pay another £3 for a shower (declined to do that - own facilities)

What a cracking spot by the water, the weather is amazing - has got a bit windy but it is sunny and warm as it has been every day away so far.

Some photos of the ferry and the site...

IMG_6510.jpeg
IMG_6506.jpeg
DSC_0004.jpeg
DSC_0003.jpeg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Emptied the black and grey and filled up the fresh before heading out. 10 minute drive to the ferry from Puttgarden to Rodby - 45 minute crossing - not crowded and went on deck to limit the time with a mask!

Short drive to this spot in SearchforSites, Bandholm Strand, barrier entry, pay with a card - was 150Nkr (about £13) plus another £3 for 5KwHrs of electric. Don't normally pay for electric as have big Lithium batteries but they hadn't had a chance to recharge properly on the two short drives. You can pay another £3 for a shower (declined to do that - own facilities)

What a cracking spot by the water, the weather is amazing - has got a bit windy but it is sunny and warm as it has been every day away so far.

View attachment 424405View attachment 424406View attachment 424407View attachment 424408
I see you are really doing it style in that MH!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
When we went on that ferry about 20 years ago we were amazed at how efficient and inexpensive it was compared to the Dover Calais crossing. It was full of Scandinavians returning from Germany with boots and trailers laden down with crates of beer.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

View attachment 424405View attachment 424406View attachment 424407View attachment 424408
Certainly travelling in style ....thats huuuuge

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

How has your avatar flag changed does it do that automatically or are you using foreign networks or something?

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Did you ever doubt they would let you in....you are one of our queens subjects, they must let you pass :giggle:
Looking good.
What breed of people were in that stately home on wheels????.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Certainly travelling in style ....thats huuuuge
Try it down a narrow street on your own - already had to reverse up once when the aire only catered for 7m and had to turn around in Lubeck when the access became a narrow street with cars parked both sides 😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back