Northern Ireland Protocol - Motorhome Transit / Food / Pets (1 Viewer)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
G'Day Funsters,

May I ask if any Funster has travelled to Northern Ireland recently in your van (and with dogs and fresh meats onboard) as I'm keen to learn of your experiences.

I've just checked the various internet web pages and it looks as if our dog will need a full Animal Health Card (AHC) with rabies jabs and the full paperwork before we can travel.

We were hoping to travel to NI in July, following a short excursion around Dumfries & Galloway but, our travel date also falls beyond the end of the NI Protocol grace period so in theory the full EU checks should already be in situ at the sea ports of Belfast and Larne by the time we arrive.

Any help, info or recent experience would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
The latest information on pet travel can be found here - www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/travelling-pets
It looks like the new rules have been delayed until 1st Oct.
My brother in law has just traveled to N.I. via Liverpool with his dog. I will see him at the weekend and will ask what checks (if any) were carried out.
Sorry - I cant answer the question about fresh meats but there are plenty of good butchers/supermarkets here so I wouldn't worry about that.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Ireland has been rabies free since 1903! Print this out and point it out to whoever challenges you! If the dog has its uk jabs upto date then like the free access agreement between Ireland and the UK no problem! The EU is just playing sour grapes!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
NB: Routine checks on the non-commercial movement of pets from GB to NI will be delayed until at least 1 October 2021.
This will allow time for DAERA and the public to prepare for the introduction of the new documentary and health requirements of the EU Pet Travel Regulation. DAERA is currently developing a process for the implementation of compliance checks from 1 October 2021. Stakeholders and the public will be kept informed of any developments.

I would not take notice of anyone saying “Print this out and point it out to whoever challenges you! If the dog has its uk jabs upto date then like the free access agreement between Ireland and the UK no problem” The last person to suggest doing this has a lot of criticism.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ireland has been rabies free since 1903! Print this out and point it out to whoever challenges you! If the dog has its uk jabs upto date then like the free access agreement between Ireland and the UK no problem! The EU is just playing sour grapes!

What about their bats though 🤔😊

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't quite get how recent travel experience will help you know what will happen after the end of the grace period?
I think sadly it's going to be leaving it as long as possible to see which way the cookie seems to be crumbling and either comply with any rules that might be enforced or taking a punt.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What about their bats though 🤔😊
The EU is treating us as a Third Country using the regulations that we probably helped to draft and certainly agreed to as members at the time. They have control of their borders as they always did. We left the EU to take back control of ours. So far we're doing a sterling job of it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The EU is treating us as a Third Country using the regulations that we probably helped to draft and certainly agreed to as members at the time. They have control of their borders as they always did. We left the EU to take back control of ours. So far we're doing a sterling job of it.

That’s fair enough but it was mentioned as Ireland not Northern Ireland 🤷‍♂️😊

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That’s fair enough but it was mentioned as Ireland not Northern Ireland 🤷‍♂️😊
But as there's an open border and alignment of regulations presumably it's going to be different to travel to the rest of the UK. I suppose it's be no different with the different covid rules around the UK or eloping to Gretna to get married.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Can I just point out the OP asked about Northern Ireland and is that not still part of the U.K.

🤔
Yes NI is still part of the UK, but the border between the UK and the EU now runs in the Irish Channel so new rules apply.

Im not sure what these are, but I suspect it will be just as if you were taking a pet to France.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
As for a United Ireland, we will have to wait and see, but Jim’s rules say no politics so best not discuss it here

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The latest information on pet travel can be found here - www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/travelling-pets
It looks like the new rules have been delayed until 1st Oct.
My brother in law has just traveled to N.I. via Liverpool with his dog. I will see him at the weekend and will ask what checks (if any) were carried out.

That's really kind of you - the info from your brother will be very useful.

The 1st Oct as a new deadline would be ideal for us as we may need to return soon after our first visit.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
As a result of the protocol, NI has in effect remained in the EU's single market.

Yep, that's the issue. I spoke with a guy yesterday who mentioned that some supermarket line items have been in short supply.

There'll be a black market trade in sausages going to NI at this rate - I wonder how many kilos I can stuff in my water tank ::bigsmile:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yep, that's the issue. I spoke with a guy yesterday who mentioned that some supermarket line items have been in short supply.

There'll be a black market trade in sausages going to NI at this rate - I wonder how many kilos I can stuff in my water tank ::bigsmile:
Seems strange to me I bet English stuff in French supermarkets is still in good supply.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Yes NI is still part of the UK, but the border between the UK and the EU now runs in the Irish Channel so new rules apply.

Im not sure what these are, but I suspect it will be just as if you were taking a pet to France.

Yes, very much so. It was only by chance that I came across the various reports on dog travel from the three UK Nations to the fourth.

Politics aside, I just can't believe that we're potentially having to jump through hoops to travel from one UK port to another.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Seems strange to me I bet English stuff in French supermarkets is still in good supply.

......and Amazon are delivering their UK goods to NI via Dublin at the moment so the cost of postage (and potential tax) for some items is huge.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
I live in NI, travelled to Scotland and back in May with hound, no dog passport etc. There were no checks in fact the security came in to the the back of the MH and said hello to the dog lying up in bed watching tv. Even if the grace period wasn’t extended I wouldn’t worry. The checks are in chaos, they only have 5 vets, need 25. My friend a long distance lorry driver has confirmed its really only live animal and meat they are doing random checks on. As for the political opinion voiced by someone, best avoid such talk unless you know what you are talking about. Enjoy NI/ ROI in your MH, far less crowded than Scotland and probably England. The Causeway coast and Wild Atlantic way probably have the edge on the NW200. But I am biased maybe!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I live in NI, travelled to Scotland and back in May with hound, no dog passport etc. There were no checks in fact the security came in to the the back of the MH and said hello to the dog lying up in bed watching tv. Even if the grace period wasn’t extended I wouldn’t worry. The checks are in chaos, they only have 5 vets, need 25. My friend a long distance lorry driver has confirmed its really only live animal and meat they are doing random checks on. As for the political opinion voiced by someone, best avoid such talk unless you know what you are talking about. Enjoy NI/ ROI in your MH, far less crowded than Scotland and probably England. The Causeway coast and Wild Atlantic way probably have the edge on the NW200. But I am biased maybe!

Cheers PG’s trips, that's a really useful post.

We are just going to go anyway. We'll book a one-way ferry and then return when we are ready.

Nicky and I have enjoyed Scotland and the upper Islands but we've not done NI so here we come!!

....and you make a very good point regarding the politics and opinions.

All the best,

Andrew

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
don't forget to try the Mournes, Strangford Lough and Fermanagh lakes areas as well.as the Causeway coast and if you need a free park up for the night I live in the countryside, lots of room, 12 miles from Belfast towards the Mournes, just message me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back