Northern Ireland Protocol - Motorhome Transit / Food / Pets (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for that PG’s trips, I have no desire to travel to mainland Europe but a major part of getting my van was to be able to take the dog to Donegal again where I have very close family. If I were to get a passport this year it would really be an ’insurance policy’ against future stupidities. Like you I cannot believe that sanity won’t eventually prevail.
We don't have family but want to again go to Ireland (N & S), we've been 3 times but love the place, as we have a load of Tesco vouchers burning a hole in our 'pocket' we can use them to get a virtually free return trip and as a double benefit can get the dogs' EU PPs whilst there.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Has anyone actually been over and got a pet passport from either NI or ROI, if so did you need to have an address over there, and which vet did you use?
Thanks
Graham

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
We don't have family but want to again go to Ireland (N & S), we've been 3 times but love the place, as we have a load of Tesco vouchers burning a hole in our 'pocket' we can use them to get a virtually free return trip and as a double benefit can get the dogs' EU PPs whilst there.
Hi Minxy, Have you plans for Ireland yet or have you already gone? With these new revelations coming out of France now I think we need more Info on Ireland. We were thinking of going in the end of August and September while the restriction are suspended as we have our new Puppy now ( 11mths already ), That is if all country's don't put us on the RED list before then!!. We were also going to get PP there. I cant seem to find any Vets names coming up yet. Hope it works out for you and I am sure you will post as soon as you have any info. All the best, Bruce.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Minxy, Have you plans for Ireland yet or have you already gone? With these new revelations coming out of France now I think we need more Info on Ireland. We were thinking of going in the end of August and September while the restriction are suspended as we have our new Puppy now ( 11mths already ), That is if all country's don't put us on the RED list before then!!. We were also going to get PP there. I cant seem to find any Vets names coming up yet. Hope it works out for you and I am sure you will post as soon as you have any info. All the best, Bruce.
Unfortunately due to the 'fun and games' we're having with my Mum Ireland is off the cards at present as we can't risk going only to have to come back for something ... we're just hoping that the protocol gets push into next year so we can still go and do the PPs there.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Unfortunately due to the 'fun and games' we're having with my Mum Ireland is off the cards at present as we can't risk going only to have to come back for something ... we're just hoping that the protocol gets push into next year so we can still go and do the PPs there.
Hi Minxy, Thanks for reply, Fun and games is an understatement!!! Good old fashioned disaster zone all round. I can't keep up with it all, It seems to change by the minute.
I hope your problems are none too serious. My only problem now is, do I book a ferry before they all get booked up!. I am with you on your prediction that something will get sorted out with the Irish sea border, this cant go on. How about rejoin the customs union and single market and then we will have it both ways!!??. OOps I feel comments coming my way!! Good luck to you, Regards Bruce.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Minxy, Thanks for reply, Fun and games is an understatement!!! Good old fashioned disaster zone all round. I can't keep up with it all, It seems to change by the minute.
I hope your problems are none too serious. My only problem now is, do I book a ferry before they all get booked up!. I am with you on your prediction that something will get sorted out with the Irish sea border, this cant go on. How about rejoin the customs union and single market and then we will have it both ways!!??. OOps I feel comments coming my way!! Good luck to you, Regards Bruce.
If you're travelling from Scotland to NI then don't worry about the availability of ferry slots - they're not busy.

However, the whole protocol-thing is starting to affect NI in lots of ways so I hope it is resolved soon.

IMO it would help if HMG told Brussels to go and get stuffed!

All the best,

Andrew

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you're travelling from Scotland to NI then don't worry about the availability of ferry slots - they're not busy.

However, the whole protocol-thing is starting to affect NI in lots of ways so I hope it is resolved soon.

All the best,

Andrew
It would help more if we stuck to the agreement we negotiated and signed.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Has anyone actually been over and got a pet passport from either NI or ROI, if so did you need to have an address over there, and which vet did you use?
Thanks
Graham
We too are wondering about this - any info anyone?

Thanks

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp

All the best,

Andrew
Hi, Well I cant see the border working at all in the Irish sea, never did. Why did Mrs May say that no Conservative Govt would ever put va border there. I am no fan of Mrs May by the way, but it was said for a very good reason as we are seeing unfold now.As I said in my post to minxy to be in the customs union and single market, as N/I is and Gibralter because they have a land border with the EU. That would sort most of the problems that we are now experiencing as they unfold. We cant very well tell the EU to get stuffed because the NI protocol is what we designed and drew up not 7 months ago, Its our problem. I think more negotiations are unavoidable and we should hope that common sense will prevail on both sides.
Only an opinion, we need to find common ground before the whole country the whole UK grinds to a standstill. Regards Bruce

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We are. But it's unworkable. M&S can't even send sandwiches to their stores there without three vets peering into them. (according to yesterday's radio)
No we're not. We're trying to blame the other signatory for problems that we should have foreseen. It is normal to inspect any foodstuffs brought in by a Third country. As part of the EU we agreed on how to deal with countries outside the bloc. Now we are one we can't even cope with a recent agreement only required because of the NI situation. Last year amongst the many disagreements about B one thing stood out to me and that was the almost impossible-to-resolve NI border problem. It is an entirely UK problem and asking the EU to change their Border controls to suit us is a cap-in-hand situation.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We are. But it's unworkable. M&S can't even send sandwiches to their stores there without three vets peering into them. (according to yesterday's radio)
Don’t believe everything you hear on the radio, no shortages of sandwiches or other fresh produce here. M&S just need to sort their supply chain out.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Just had an M&S BLT sandwich. If rumours are true it will be an LT only after October. Not quite the same but there are worse things in life and the pigs will be happy🐷☀️:Grin:

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Blue Knight - hope you are enjoying your holiday 🤞 are you intending getting your pooch an EU pet passport whilst there?

Cheers

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
We too are wondering about this - any info anyone?

Thanks
Hi Oscar, As far as I know, at the moment up to the end of sept. now passport checks on animals ( domestic ) at the ports for NI, I dont know about longer crossings to the south, I will use Larne in Scotland for short Crossing, dogs can stay in your vehicle. I would check close to when you travel as things can change. a few people have gone and come to uk very recently with virtually no checks. I think NI have said they cant do checks as the dont have the vets and border officers for the rules that have been thrust on them at the end of last year.
Once in NI you are free to travel to the south with no checks if you wish to get a PP for your animal. Officially you are supposed to have an AHC, and tapeworm treatment done in uk before you travel. So as I always say Check, Check and Check again before you go. There are postings on here about people that have gone in last couple of weeks which would reassure your doubts but I dont remember which post it was, there are so many running on PP'S at the mo. If someone Knows which post that was it would help? Hope this helps. Bruce
Oh what a tangled web we weave!!

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just seen on a FB page, in case it's of any interest

IMG_20210722_152206.jpg

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Thedriver have a look at posts 47 and 51. The Northern Irish government have stated on their website that because the situation is not resolved no checks will be made until 1st Oct at earliest. This is confirmed in an email reply from Larne port. However remember that you wouldn’t be able to go to any of the Southern irish ports without an AHC etc because they are in the Republic of Ireland and thus in the EU. The border between the North and the Republic is totally open, as it has been now for many years. (This is why the border was put in the Irish Sea, that border will remain open) Therefore you can drive actoss the border into the Republic to hopefully acquire a Pet Passport. I am going over on 14th August and intend to get a passport for my dog in Donegal. I am fortunate in that I have an address I can use there and, if necessary, I will nominally give the dog to my granddaughter should Irish vets start to behave as French vets reportedly are!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
AFAIK you can get a PP in NI which will still be valid in the EU thus no need to 'risk' going into RI without one.

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
AFAIK you can get a PP in NI which will still be valid in the EU thus no need to 'risk' going into RI without one.
That's our understanding too, just need to find a Vet that's happy to do it

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Thedriver have a look at posts 47 and 51. The Northern Irish government have stated on their website that because the situation is not resolved no checks will be made until 1st Oct at earliest. This is confirmed in an email reply from Larne port. However remember that you wouldn’t be able to go to any of the Southern irish ports without an AHC etc because they are in the Republic of Ireland and thus in the EU. The border between the North and the Republic is totally open, as it has been now for many years. (This is why the border was put in the Irish Sea, that border will remain open) Therefore you can drive actoss the border into the Republic to hopefully acquire a Pet Passport. I am going over on 14th August and intend to get a passport for my dog in Donegal. I am fortunate in that I have an address I can use there and, if necessary, I will nominally give the dog to my granddaughter should Irish vets start to behave as French vets reportedly are!
Thanks for that, I am pretty well up to speed about PP's etc, been following this from the start but most has been focused on France and surrounding country's and as I have decided to let things cool down this year and decide later whether to go to France or not I thought I would gather as much info in Ireland as a source for PP. Thought the short crossing from Larne would be best for the Puppy who hasn't been on a Ferry yet. I hace already decided to return by same route to keep things simple.
We will have to keep watching progress on the French problem as it progresses and hope it is just France and is not coming from EU HQ. in which case it could spread to other countrys and then possibly invalidate our new PP's. Thanks for reply Bruce

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp

View attachment 518976

View attachment 518976
Thanks for that Oscar, I see Minxy has already spotted this. It's posted on the right place, any one interested will spot this one. Thats good news although, It looks written very positively written so I assume Bodger did't write it but I will wait and hope it is brought to a swift conclusion.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
We must hope that the UK ideas will be agreed by the EU. 🤞🤞🤞
Unlikely. The EU is, of necessity, a “rule of law” organisation. It could follow no other path with 27 members. It will implement protocol, agreements and treaties to the letter and will expect all parties to do the same. The UK no longer feels it is bound by the same obligations. This has inevitably been the cause of of much of the friction between the two, over the years, and particularly under the current government.
For the keen student of international politics we are at an interesting time. Negotiating and ratifying international treaties, with no intention to comply with the obligations, inevitably undermines trust.
The NI Protocol issues will be resolved. The UK has presented an impossible list of demands. It will eventually achieve a success on a couple of minor issues and be in a position to proclaim a historic victory.
The problem for the UK, is that when negotiating future treaties, trust will be an issue. Not a factor in the past.

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
That's our understanding too, just need to find a Vet that's happy to do it
Have contacted 5 Vet practices in Northern Ireland - only had a response from 1 so far, to say that they can only issue pet passports if you reside in Northern Ireland. :(

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I’ve rung Ashworth vet in Belfast as they are happy to issue an eu pp for £100 or £115 with rabies booster. But they require a AHC which our vet in Llanelli charges £150 for.

That plus ferry costs from Liverpool to Belfast at £400 makes this a costly exercise.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Unlikely. The EU is, of necessity, a “rule of law” organisation. It could follow no other path with 27 members

Theyve bent the rules before to suit themselves.

Greece entering the EU being one example 🤔😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back