North Italy to brugges (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
At some point in September or early October we will be making our way back (boo) from the Garda region and heading to brugges or maybe Gentt. Ideally looking for a non toll , hopefully motorway free route back which has interesting stops / pretty routes .

Are there any previous threads that give some ideas which I can look at and plot our stops ?

Thanks in anticipation

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I go Garda to Prutz or Innsbruck Austria, Fern Pass to Germany, Fussen very nice to visit, then camping Christophos south of Ulm, then a stop along the way to Stuttgart, Karlsruhe, Manheim, Saarbrucken, then stop at Bitburg area or go to Luxembourg City to visit then into Belgium, stopping at Ypres or on the coast near Zeebrugge although I understand Ghent is worth a visit. Hope this help, hope Iā€™ve got the spellings correct šŸ˜œ

Toll free if you make sure you avoid them in Austria but not motorway free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Can you just not set your sat-nav to avoid motorways/tolls. That will then generally give you a mix of roads, some of which will be fast dual carriageways but many single carriageway ones. Choosing all minor roads will make the journey inordinately long. You still get to see nice towns/villages and scenery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Can you just not set your sat-nav to avoid motorways/tolls. That will then generally give you a mix of roads, some of which will be fast dual carriageways but many single carriageway ones. Choosing all minor roads will make the journey inordinately long. You still get to see nice towns/villages and scenery.
Agreed and can do that but it was just to make the most of the trip scenery wise - shame sat nav a donā€™t a great view option

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
If you have not been over the Grossglockner pass then that's well worth it.
There is a nice stelplatz at Bad Aibling
There are plentiful places to stay as you head north. Only issue might be if you prefer campsites some may close at that time of year?
We are staying here in a few weeks
https://en.ccclv.lu/ in Luxembourg
We have stayed here in Brugge, it is an excellent campsite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
There are plentiful places to stay as you head north. Only issue might be if you prefer campsites some may close at that time of year?

Thanks for this was hoping to cross the gross glocken pass not sure to do it southwards on the way down in mid September rather than wait for the return in October . Great tips thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Excuse all the pinpoints but if you zoom in you should see a blue line from Calais with stops a,b,c etc . Iā€™ll be working on it again next week as Iā€™m going to change the route to turn east across the Alpenstresse and down over the gross glocken , returning via this map route and the Black Forest road hope the link below works

Trip South
https://maps.app.goo.gl/oBskmLtuz72hcVwC9?g_st=ic

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I came home one time up the left side of Como stopped 1 night on a feeder lake to Como. Sorry name escapes me. And just followed my nose. Best drive ever done. I know some was the grand tour route. Our next stop was on lake Bodencee on air next to large motorhome dealer. Then up to Calais and home

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We will be heading to Venice area for a few days in Sept heading down the Romantic Road, Insbruck/Brenner Pass, Dolomites etc.
Route back will be Dolomites, Brenner pass/ Insbruck keeping off the autoroutes, Fussen, Ulm and then to the Mosel for 7 days before heading back via Hook of Holland.

Upvote 0

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
From Garda aim for the Plƶcken pass - Lienz - GroƟglƶckner - Kitzbuhl - Niednerdorf ( cheap diesel on the border) then Raubling - Bad Aibling, from there you have a few options for going up through Germany.

We live 6km from Bad Aibling and this is our usual route to and from when we are no in a hurry, incredibly scenic, you will have to pay a Maut/toll to get over the pass but there is no avoiding that.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you click the following links in my signature you will be able to "view whole map" which will give some indications (or not) along your route

Germany previous
Bavarian throunal
Belgium
Possibly the voie verte as well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I came home one time up the left side of Como stopped 1 night on a feeder lake to Como. Sorry name escapes me. And just followed my nose. Best drive ever done. I know some was the grand tour route. Our next stop was on lake Bodencee on air next to large motorhome dealer. Then up to Calais and home
Lago di Mezzola?

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Lago di Mezzola?
Correct my memory is like a sieve. Nice little stop free at the time

Screenshot_20230723-182736.png

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Can you say why this is worth it as we will be looking for a way back up in the next few weeks. thanks.

Upvote 0

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Can you say why this is worth it as we will be looking for a way back up in the next few weeks. thanks.
If you like Stunning views, quiet roads and have time, then this is for you, take the 108 for a nice drive and the 107 (high alpine road) for the white knuckle drive.......as in my previous post I recommend: Plƶcken pass - Lienz - GroƟglƶckner (choose which route)- Kitzbuhl - Niednerdorf ( cheap diesel on the border) then Raubling ( then the Bad Aibling stelleplatz if req )and then the choice through Germany is yours.

Upvote 0

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Views are stunning. Check its open though, i have known it ti be closed in May & Sept due to snow.
It does happen, the signs will tell you open or closed before you climb so you will not get stuck, just take an alternative route, Nov-April are the winter tyre required months ....

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
If you like Stunning views, quiet roads and have time, then this is for you, take the 108 for a nice drive and the 107 (high alpine road) for the white knuckle drive.......as in my previous post I recommend: Plƶcken pass - Lienz - GroƟglƶckner (choose which route)- Kitzbuhl - Niednerdorf ( cheap diesel on the border) then Raubling ( then the Bad Aibling stelleplatz if req )and then the choice through Germany is yours.
Think I'll give the white knuckle option a miss. But quiet roads sound good. We came down through the Gotthard tunnel and basically suffered an eight hour traffic jam. Police were blocking the tunnels and only letting so many through at a time. We have the Swiss pass so don't mind using their roads.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I go Garda to Prutz or Innsbruck Austria, Fern Pass to Germany, Fussen very nice to visit, then camping Christophos south of Ulm, then a stop along the way to Stuttgart, Karlsruhe, Manheim, Saarbrucken, then stop at Bitburg area or go to Luxembourg City to visit then into Belgium, stopping at Ypres or on the coast near Zeebrugge although I understand Ghent is worth a visit. Hope this help, hope Iā€™ve got the spellings correct šŸ˜œ

Toll free if you make sure you avoid them in Austria but not motorway free.
A few years back I crossed the border into Austria, not realising that I had to buy a vignette at the "dormant" border post. Got picked up at the first rest area. Cost something like 80 euro fine as I remember.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Kockelscheur is a great site for Lux. City. We now prefer the small town charm of Deikirch with camping on the river.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
A few years back I crossed the border into Austria, not realising that I had to buy a vignette at the "dormant" border post. Got picked up at the first rest area. Cost something like 80 euro fine as I remember.
Only been checked once. Got wrists slapped as the sticker was in the top of the motorbike tank bag. No fine though.
Was telling mate when we bought the vignettes that we never get checkedšŸ˜€

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Google is pointing us to go through St Moritz and Lichtenstein on what looks like a minor road route.

Any views on this?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back