North Cornwall Car Hire (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I've been reading the very useful, informative and often very amusing forum posts over the past months but this is my first posting. I am based in Nottingham owning a 2009 Swift Sundance RL590 van and tend to just use it for short breaks in the UK.
At the end of a June tour down to Cornwall, we are booked for 3 nights at the C&MC Trewethett Farm site at Tintagel and I'm thinking of leaving the van in situ and hiring a small car for local sightseeing. Bus travel might prove difficult as my wife has some mobility issues.
Having spoken to the site it seems that the nearest car rental place is Enterprise in Bodmin but they weren't sure that we could arrange for a car to be delivered to the site. I am quite prepared to catch the 2 buses needed to get from Tintagel to Bodmin if that's the only option but, before arranging anything, I thought I'd ask if anyone has done a similar thing in North Cornwall and could help with any suggestions.
Thanks
Ross

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Enterprise can offer a pick up service, but not vehicle drop off. There some conditions so would suggest you contact the Bodmin branch for details.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Merlin Car Hire are an independent rental company based in mid Cornwall MERLIN
They’ve got a good reputation and probably cheaper than Enterprise but I’m not sure about delivery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I've used enterprise a couple of times before moving to Cornwall, ( I used truro depot as camping at Newquay) they collect you & take you back to the depot ,sign the papers & off you go , then you take the car back to them & they take you back to campsite . 10% discount if you are a CMC member.

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
I have used Trewethett quite a few times in my Nuevo, she is 5.9 metres. My husband is also semi immobile.
1) the views are stunning, with lovely walks for the mobile,which gives you a bit of a breather . The staff have always been great, let them know you are coming they will sort you out a pitch with a view and near the excellent disabled facilities. They also do a smashing cream tea.
2) I am a cornishwoman & feel I can freely tell you that the bus journey you plan might be the trip from hell.... " it'll come dreckly" sums it up.
3) I found driving & parking from the site a piece of saffron cake...no problem. Tintagel, Boscastle ,Wadebridge , Polzeath easy. (PM me if you need more info) The roads are ok not narrow (avoid Port Isaac).I would not bother hiring for three days, especially given the weather . It is so predictably unpredictable that you might sit & view the places you visit in comfort.
4) you need to look at the Cornish council website to check out your disabled parking ...NB I was booked because I accidentally put mine upside down. Thought I was going to be up in the "assizes"!
Failing that Camel hire at Wadebridge are easier in terms of locality.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Bus travel in North Cornwall ! :LOL:
I'd suggest you allow many hours and take a sleeping bag.

"Tone the Taxi" (based in St Breward, half way to Bodmin) is your best bet
Book ahead on 07974025312

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't know how long you are here for, but the Minack theatre in west Cornwall is worth a bit of a squizz. Bit of a trek from Tintagel I know but well worth a visit.

Tourist traps to avoid? Lands End , Some would say the EDEN PROJECT, twas around £27 each to get in last year, Fowey? nothing there! that includes parking, St Ives?, better off going to West Pentire.

Mevagissey, Looe, Falmouth, all have M/H Friendly Car parks, The Quarry Car Park in Falmouth also has a Hoppa bus that will take you to the town centre, hop on hop off.

If you find yourself near Stithians, The Golden Lion pub gives a excellent meal at a reasonable price, they also have a small Campsite at the rear of the pub overlooking the Lake, ehu, water and a dump.

Enjoy your trip to Cornwall tiz a beautiful place

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
At Tintagel, you’re not far from the finest pasty shop in Cornwall. Many claim to be the best, but this one truly is.
2E595CA5-B23C-45E5-B0A1-5D7CD282E8D7.jpeg

OP
OP
R
Mar 26, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks for all the replies. With everything that's going on at the moment we're just hoping that we'll still be able to do the trip. Even self-isolating in Cornwall with a stock of pasties has a certain appeal!
If the trip's on we'll certainly be in touch Petrocspals about driving and parking in the area

OP
OP
R
Mar 26, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I have used Trewethett quite a few times in my Nuevo, she is 5.9 metres. My husband is also semi immobile.
1) the views are stunning, with lovely walks for the mobile,which gives you a bit of a breather . The staff have always been great, let them know you are coming they will sort you out a pitch with a view and near the excellent disabled facilities. They also do a smashing cream tea.
2) I am a cornishwoman & feel I can freely tell you that the bus journey you plan might be the trip from hell.... " it'll come dreckly" sums it up.
3) I found driving & parking from the site a piece of saffron cake...no problem. Tintagel, Boscastle ,Wadebridge , Polzeath easy. (PM me if you need more info) The roads are ok not narrow (avoid Port Isaac).I would not bother hiring for three days, especially given the weather . It is so predictably unpredictable that you might sit & view the places you visit in comfort.
4) you need to look at the Cornish council website to check out your disabled parking ...NB I was booked because I accidentally put mine upside down. Thought I was going to be up in the "assizes"!
Failing that Camel hire at Wadebridge are easier in terms of locality.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back