Noisy A-Class (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Picked up my new-to-me Geist i585 last week. It's a 6m 2020 A-Class on Ducato chassis. Geist is a sub-brand of LMC, which is a sub-brand of Hymer group. I don't know much about them really. The interior seems to be really good quality. Nicely put together with hidden screw heads, thick panels and a good design. Lots of quality touches. I'll do a mini-review on another thread at some point because there's no much info out there about them...

The issue is the noise when driving...

I come from a post-conversion 2007 Ducato panel van. The conversion that was done was with reasonable quality furniture, but it was just all screwed together to make it fit. I don't think there was any consideration about how it needs to flex or move when in motion, so it creaked, squeaked, rattled and boomed a lot. But we drove around Europe in it for 6 months a couple of years back. I got used to the noises.

On a rare bit of smooth road, the Geist is fairly quiet. There's only a purr from the engine and there's not a lot of wind noise and the road rumble isn't too bad. However, as soon as I hit a bump or a tarmac joint on the motorway, it shakes and bangs really badly. It's uncomfortably loud as it shakes it way over the surface of the M6. Through the seat of 'yer pants, the ride isn't that bad, it's just the racket it makes as it hits a rough bit of tarmac (which is everywhere). This is before I've loaded any stuff in it, so it's not plates and bottles of beer that are making the racket, it's the body of the van. Any ideas what I can do?

The massive dash cowl appears to be pretty thin plastic. I assume there must be something behind it as I can barely hear the engine. But it sounds thin. Are they normally easy to get out? Could I stick some sound insulation to the back of it? I previously put sound insulation in the doors of my van and it made a big difference...

The tyres are Michelin Agilis Camping. They've only got 10k miles on, so they are pretty new. I know they've got a stiff sidewall. How much difference would a set of normal van tyres make to the ride quality? The van is well under it's 3.5t limit.

I've put semi-air suspension on my previous van. That was riding very low, so it was resting on the bump-stops all the time. It made the ride on big bumps a fair bit better. But I've checked the Geist and there's a good gap between the stops and the pad when it's at rest with a belly load of water, so I'm not sure how much difference semi-air would make. And when I hit a bump, the front causes just as much crash as the back. With the few trips I've made so far, the handling seems OK too.

Are there any bits that typically make the most noise? Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Having never owned (or driven) an A class I am quite surprised by this.
I had always assumed that an A class would be quieter due to having less flex between the cab and the habitation area.
Perhaps my Elddis isn't just as noisy as I think then!
I suppose it depends on how you pack and set up your A class. I have no concerns, my Hymer slightly noisier than my car. No complaints.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I suppose it depends on how you pack and set up your A class. I have no concerns, my Hymer slightly noisier than my car. No complaints.
It was extremely noisy on the 100 mile trip back from the dealers when it was empty. Putting a duvet in the drop-down bed has reduced the shudders from above my head when I roll over anything significant.

My finances have just taken a serious hit to upgrade from a 14 year old post-convert van to a nearly new a-class... Continental tyres are going to have to wait a couple of months.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It was extremely noisy on the 100 mile trip back from the dealers when it was empty. Putting a duvet in the drop-down bed has reduced the shudders from above my head when I roll over anything significant.

My finances have just taken a serious hit to upgrade from a 14 year old post-convert van to a nearly new a-class... Continental tyres are going to have to wait a couple of months.
All vans make a fair bit of noise empty, also I find nearly every trip starts of a bit rattly until everything settles down, we don't bother too much with careful packing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
All vans make a fair bit of noise empty, also I find nearly every trip starts of a bit rattly until everything settles down, we don't bother too much with careful packing.
Yep. At the start of every journey, I ask my wife whether she's secured everything. Then, every crash from the cupboards for the first few miles gets the deadpan response, "settling".

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
What tyres did you swap too? I will soon be in the market to change my Michelins.
Michelin agillis crossclimate, they are giving me an excellent ride in the pvc, as they did in our previous Aclass.
I literally cannot hear them at all.
Very good tyres imv.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
When I bought my second-hand Aclass it was a very uncomfortable ride at 80psi. I spotted in the Mercedes handbook a range of pressures for differing axle weights and tyre sizes, but without any reference to the tyre manufacturer. I now travel pleasurably with front at 45psi and rear at 52psi.

Gordon

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As I said my comment wouldn't be popular, try using that argument with an insurer a vehicle has recommended pressures and if you do not use these the insurance can be invalidated, along with the other issues I outlined......

Just looked at the Michelin site, a quick glance at the reviews some love them some hate them which is about the same for any product, what I would say is there are many factors involved in vehicle Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH).

generic pressure is not as you stated it is:-

View attachment 508626
A quick technical question - is this the cold recommended pressure or after running warm? This is the setting I use when cold but the tyre monitor shows about 0.3 or 0.4 higher when running for a while.

Our biggest noise come from the cooker top, although there are rubbers we put more dampers under the glass. Occasionally our over cab bed squeaks but if we lower and reposition this fixes it. Our saucepans are packed around with tea towels.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
A quick technical question - is this the cold recommended pressure or after running warm? This is the setting I use when cold but the tyre monitor shows about 0.3 or 0.4 higher when running for a while.

Our biggest noise come from the cooker top, although there are rubbers we put more dampers under the glass. Occasionally our over cab bed squeaks but if we lower and reposition this fixes it. Our saucepans are packed around with tea towels.
We've got some noise from the table (it's very large and it lifts, spins and shifts, so it's got a lot of movement) and squeaks from the drop down bed. I can live with that. The big noise is the general booming shudder from the body whenever I hit roll over anything larger than a pea. As it's much improved (although still pretty bad) since lowering the tyre pressures.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Tyre pressures are always set when cold, if you have been driving leave them for an hour before checking. I try to check mine in the evening as during the day the side facing the sun will be a couple of pounds higher.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Tyre pressures are always set when cold, if you have been driving leave them for an hour before checking. I try to check mine in the evening as during the day the side facing the sun will be a couple of pounds higher.
Before checking the cold tyre pressures I use an infrared thermometer to measure the tyre temperatures. I prefer early mornings before the sun has made one side warmer than the other.

I agree with one poster above that French roads seem to have much smoother surfaces. Such a relaxing pleasure to drive over there. Standards in the UK are very poor. Our local Ring Road was much smoother before it was resurfaced. The contractor created a new boneshaker washboard surface along every stretch. They deserve shooting for that (Podney mode ON). As does whoever signed off the Works to allow payment.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Manufacturers normally tell you to check the pressures when the tyre is cold, it’s an interesting question imagine it’s midday one side of the vehicle has been exposed to the baking sun the other side of the vehicle is in the shade, clearly this would not be the best time to check pressures. So best time is early morning, and don’t worry about pressures increasing as the tyre warms up as they say ‘they all do that sir’ 👍

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
So which Continentals do I get?

👍 Highly pleased with these since fitting a couple of years ago, We went from 215/70 15 to 225/70 15 and lowered pressures to 60 rear, 47 front after getting weighed and using Continentals very useful data book.

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
What size wheels / tyres are you running?

Going up to 225 75 r16 would help with the ride being a larger volume of air and a higher profile.

Plus they are a very common van tyre size so loads of choice.

Cheers James

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I keep reading how harsh a ride tyres are on MoHo yet it’s the suspension springs and dampers that make a huge difference whilst it costs nothing to let air out of the tyres spending money on springs and dampers (or air suspension) would be a better solution.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I keep reading how harsh a ride tyres are on MoHo yet it’s the suspension springs and dampers that make a huge difference whilst it costs nothing to let air out of the tyres spending money on springs and dampers (or air suspension) would be a better solution.
Certainly don't regret spending over 7K on air, well worth it.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Our 2019 Burstner A Class is so noisy it becomes tiring on long journeys. It shakes so bad the overhead bed has come down twice and is now wedged up. Cupboard doors have fell off, it creaks from all around the front on anything but a smooth tarmac road. It was delivered brand new with poorly repaired accident damage which the dealer refused to accept any knowledge of And took three weeks to repair. It is fitted with Michelin Agiis tyres which I don’t think helps. For a supposed German built van of quality its pants.
Please name and shame the dealer

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am perfectly happy with the ride, suspension and tyres of my A Class as supplied by Carthago. I don’t expect it to handle like a car but I still enjoy driving it. I don’t doubt there are improvements to be had from air suspension but so far I haven’t felt the need to modify it.

Upvote 0

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Before checking the cold tyre pressures I use an infrared thermometer to measure the tyre temperatures. I prefer early mornings before the sun has made one side warmer than the other.

I agree with one poster above that French roads seem to have much smoother surfaces. Such a relaxing pleasure to drive over there. Standards in the UK are very poor. Our local Ring Road was much smoother before it was resurfaced. The contractor created a new boneshaker washboard surface along every stretch. They deserve shooting for that (Podney mode ON). As does whoever signed off the Works to allow payment.
The contractors Brother in law !!!😊😊
DJT

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2005
My issue is that I need to know what pressures to run them at. Something semi-official that'll I can use should I ever have an accident and get investigated. If I get Continentals, I can say I used their handbook. Is there an equivalent for other brands?
Michelin load pressure chart show a load of approx. 975kg at 400kpa ie rear axle load of 1950kg for the 225/75x16 tyre

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My issue is that I need to know what pressures to run them at. Something semi-official that'll I can use should I ever have an accident and get investigated. If I get Continentals, I can say I used their handbook. Is there an equivalent for other brands?
My Carthago has pressures inside the fuel flap. I also have similar pressures in the Carthago handbook.
4BAA53F2-7CEB-48A6-9A01-930835E5BB5E.jpeg

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2014
Guernsey
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K Yacht 85
Exp
I'm a newbie
This is the first time I’ve ever seen a table like this, in any threads or suchlike. According to the table we could be running at 44psi on the front and about 60psi on the rear. I’m currently running 10psi higher than these and the van does crash around. I will try the lower pressures next to France, maybe September, COVID willing.

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
This is the pressure chart that came with the van they work great.

View attachment 509626
What make is this?

This and the previous Cathargo chart are the most interesting I have seen and much closer to the Continental recommendations we often see.

I'm currently running 55/65 on 225/16" tyres but this is the same as I ran for 10 years on an Auto trail Tracker with 15" wheels.

My feeling now is that 55/65 is too high, especially after seeing these charts. I had probably added a 10% margin at the front anyway because I once read that this was appropriate to reflect the extra load when braking.

One thing I haven't read about, at least recently is tyre temperatures. I regularly feel what they are like after a bit of high speed driving and also cross country when sidewall loading is probably higher. The biggest risk with a tyre is a blowout following under inflation. If the tyre wall seems too warm or even hot (in normal temperatures) then it would be a warning sign that the sidewalls are flexing too much and the tyre is probably under inflated.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Upvote 1

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I swapped the tyres on Bessie to Michelin Cross Climates and reduced the pressures to 70 ish,,,better ride and sooo much quieter

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back