Noisy A-Class (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Picked up my new-to-me Geist i585 last week. It's a 6m 2020 A-Class on Ducato chassis. Geist is a sub-brand of LMC, which is a sub-brand of Hymer group. I don't know much about them really. The interior seems to be really good quality. Nicely put together with hidden screw heads, thick panels and a good design. Lots of quality touches. I'll do a mini-review on another thread at some point because there's no much info out there about them...

The issue is the noise when driving...

I come from a post-conversion 2007 Ducato panel van. The conversion that was done was with reasonable quality furniture, but it was just all screwed together to make it fit. I don't think there was any consideration about how it needs to flex or move when in motion, so it creaked, squeaked, rattled and boomed a lot. But we drove around Europe in it for 6 months a couple of years back. I got used to the noises.

On a rare bit of smooth road, the Geist is fairly quiet. There's only a purr from the engine and there's not a lot of wind noise and the road rumble isn't too bad. However, as soon as I hit a bump or a tarmac joint on the motorway, it shakes and bangs really badly. It's uncomfortably loud as it shakes it way over the surface of the M6. Through the seat of 'yer pants, the ride isn't that bad, it's just the racket it makes as it hits a rough bit of tarmac (which is everywhere). This is before I've loaded any stuff in it, so it's not plates and bottles of beer that are making the racket, it's the body of the van. Any ideas what I can do?

The massive dash cowl appears to be pretty thin plastic. I assume there must be something behind it as I can barely hear the engine. But it sounds thin. Are they normally easy to get out? Could I stick some sound insulation to the back of it? I previously put sound insulation in the doors of my van and it made a big difference...

The tyres are Michelin Agilis Camping. They've only got 10k miles on, so they are pretty new. I know they've got a stiff sidewall. How much difference would a set of normal van tyres make to the ride quality? The van is well under it's 3.5t limit.

I've put semi-air suspension on my previous van. That was riding very low, so it was resting on the bump-stops all the time. It made the ride on big bumps a fair bit better. But I've checked the Geist and there's a good gap between the stops and the pad when it's at rest with a belly load of water, so I'm not sure how much difference semi-air would make. And when I hit a bump, the front causes just as much crash as the back. With the few trips I've made so far, the handling seems OK too.

Are there any bits that typically make the most noise? Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You may find that when it’s fully loaded it might quieten down a bit, it’s a big space then the pvc so will sound more. What tyre pressures are you running at as that will make a lot of difference…🤔
I haven't checked the tyre pressures yet... Maybe they are running high. I assume Michelin don't do that nice handy chart like Continental do?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Our 2019 Burstner A Class is so noisy it becomes tiring on long journeys. It shakes so bad the overhead bed has come down twice and is now wedged up. Cupboard doors have fell off, it creaks from all around the front on anything but a smooth tarmac road. It was delivered brand new with poorly repaired accident damage which the dealer refused to accept any knowledge of And took three weeks to repair. It is fitted with Michelin Agiis tyres which I don’t think helps. For a supposed German built van of quality its pants.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Our 2019 Burstner A Class is so noisy it becomes tiring on long journeys. It shakes so bad the overhead bed has come down twice and is now wedged up. Cupboard doors have fell off, it creaks from all around the front on anything but a smooth tarmac road. It was delivered brand new with poorly repaired accident damage which the dealer refused to accept any knowledge of And took three weeks to repair. It is fitted with Michelin Agiis tyres which I don’t think helps. For a supposed German built van of quality its pants.
That's disappointing... but sounds familiar. It is loud enough to be tiring. So far, on the 100 mile trip back from Lincoln, two of the spotlights shook their screws loose and dropped the shades. I think the previous owner had swapped non-LED bulbs back into them before the sold it and hadn't screwed it them up that tight. But it could just be the shaking.

Upvote 0

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
It was delivered brand new with poorly repaired accident damage
A local car dealer tried that with us. We just walked away. Took a little while to get our deposit back. But we did in the end.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Tyre pressure is the biggest problem, hey normally come from the dealers pumped up to bursting point!
When I collected my AS Warwick from the dealer it was very bumpy and a poor ride. The tyres were very over inflated and one at the correct pressures as recommended by Continental its like a different vehicle and a pleasurable drive.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Having come from 2 different Hymer A classes to a PVC, there is no doubt the PVC is quieter from crashes/bangs and general bodywork noises when driving.

as others have said, tyre pressures make a big difference to the ride and noises, but I don’t think you’ll achieve the low bump response noise levels as you get in a PVC.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The tyres are Michelin Agilis Camping. They've only got 10k miles on, so they are pretty new. I know they've got a stiff sidewall. How much difference would a set of normal van tyres make to the ride quality? The van is well under it's 3.5t limit.
A huge difference the Michelins are the worst for a hard ride & lack of grip. I changed mine before they were worn out, fitted Toyo Observe Van they made a big difference to ride comfort.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Having come from 2 different Hymer A classes to a PVC, there is no doubt the PVC is quieter from crashes/bangs and general bodywork noises when driving.

as others have said, tyre pressures make a big difference to the ride and noises, but I don’t think you’ll achieve the low bump response noise levels as you get in a PVC.
I was kind of hoping that as my PVC was formerly a decorator's van that had effectively been DIY'd, consisting of plywood furniture and rockwool for insulation, that it was on the loud end. And that as Geist are supposed to be a quality brand, that maybe it'd be quieter.

I'll look at the tyres this evening and see what the pressures are.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I have a Geist Spirit on a RWD Transit. Had it 8 years and so far so good, well put together it all works.

I adjusted the tyre pressures down a bit and the ride improved dramatically. It runs on Hankook tyres 55 psi front 45 psi on twin rears

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think Michelin state that camping tyres have to be 80psi at the rear regardless of load.

If I had Continental camping tyres (CP rated), according to their handbook I could run 47psi at the front and 60psi at the rear. It'd be even lower if they were van rated tyres.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think Michelin state that camping tyres have to be 80psi at the rear regardless of load.

If I had Continental camping tyres (CP rated), according to their handbook I could run 47psi at the front and 60psi at the rear. It'd be even lower if they were van rated tyres.
I’d try 55psi fronts and 65psi on the rears and go from there, you may find dropping them a little more better, it’ll be trial and error to what suits you..

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I was warned at my handover that A classes squeak, rattle and creak more than coachbuilts. It's certainly true in my exerpeince. All that weight up top feels much more unweildy too. I'm quite disappointed in the drive (although the Tardis effect is amazing)

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I was warned at my handover that A classes squeak, rattle and creak more than coachbuilts.
Having never owned (or driven) an A class I am quite surprised by this.
I had always assumed that an A class would be quieter due to having less flex between the cab and the habitation area.
Perhaps my Elddis isn't just as noisy as I think then!

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
It’s a funny thing noise and how we are affected by it. When we drove away from the dealer in our A class six years ago we were struck at how dramatically quiet it was compared to our C class Swift Bessacarr we had just exchanged.
Now I think it’s noisy but has benefited from air assistance on the rear Alko axle plus getting rid of the CP tyres and fitting Continental 4Season in the next larger size at lower pressures.
I wouldn’t risk lowering the pressures on Michelin Agilis CP tyres from the recommended, mainly due to their very stiff, crack prone, side walls that appear not to flex like decent tyres.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was warned at my handover that A classes squeak, rattle and creak more than coachbuilts.
Never heard that before we have always found them much quieter, a bit of noise from the drop down bed but road noise, engine noise & wind noise much quieter.

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
You will get rid of half the noise and improve the ride no end if you swap the tyres.
Michelin agillis camping are shockingly bad tyres.
We had them on our previous A class when we bought it 2 days later I had all 4 swapped and the difference was like night and day

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I just found the tyre pressure sticker. It wasn't in the door jamb, it was still on its adhesive backing in the massive bunch of manufacturer's paperwork that's mostly in German. The sticker says 78.8psi (5.5 bar) front and rear... So that would be why it's like it's rolling on concrete wheels.

I think I'm going to order a set of new tyres. Probably Continental VancoFourSeason 2 as I know I can use the Continental handbook to check a recommended pressure and run them 50/55 psi according the axle weights on the VIN plate (which is incorrect, but that's another thread!).

Unless people suggest a different solution?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I just found the tyre pressure sticker. It wasn't in the door jamb, it was still on its adhesive backing in the massive bunch of manufacturer's paperwork that's mostly in German. The sticker says 78.8psi (5.5 bar) front and rear... So that would be why it's like it's rolling on concrete wheels.

I think I'm going to order a set of new tyres. Probably Continental VancoFourSeason 2 as I know I can use the Continental handbook to check a recommended pressure and run them 50/55 psi according the axle weights on the VIN plate (which is incorrect, but that's another thread!).

Unless people suggest a different solution?
Conti do 2 different versions of the four season one has the snowflake marking, one doesn't.

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I really rate Michelin agillis crossclimate, I had them on the previous van and had them put on our current pvc, virtually no road noise superb grip wet and dry, very good on wet grass. Mine are 121 rated so plenty strong enough.
give a lovely ride, transformed the ride quality in our previous A class, less so on the pvc as it had them on the front and vanco on the rear, the droning is gone from the rear so quieter than the vancos

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I really rate Michelin agillis crossclimate, I had them on the previous van and had them put on our current pvc, virtually no road noise superb grip wet and dry, very good on wet grass. Mine are 121 rated so plenty strong enough.
give a lovely ride, transformed the ride quality in our previous A class, less so on the pvc as it had them on the front and vanco on the rear, the droning is gone from the rear so quieter than the vancos
My issue is that I need to know what pressures to run them at. Something semi-official that'll I can use should I ever have an accident and get investigated. If I get Continentals, I can say I used their handbook. Is there an equivalent for other brands?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Update: The pressures from the dealer were about 75psi all round. I've lowered them to 60psi at the front and 65psi at the rear and it's considerably better. The M6 viaducts near Birmingham still feel like it's going to shake itself to pieces. But most of the time it's much more bearable. This leads me to the conclusion with non-camper Continental tyres, I could use the Continental handbook to look up my axle weights and justify driving 50psi fronts and 55psi rears and get something almost pleasant.

So which Continentals do I get?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back