Noisy A-Class (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Picked up my new-to-me Geist i585 last week. It's a 6m 2020 A-Class on Ducato chassis. Geist is a sub-brand of LMC, which is a sub-brand of Hymer group. I don't know much about them really. The interior seems to be really good quality. Nicely put together with hidden screw heads, thick panels and a good design. Lots of quality touches. I'll do a mini-review on another thread at some point because there's no much info out there about them...

The issue is the noise when driving...

I come from a post-conversion 2007 Ducato panel van. The conversion that was done was with reasonable quality furniture, but it was just all screwed together to make it fit. I don't think there was any consideration about how it needs to flex or move when in motion, so it creaked, squeaked, rattled and boomed a lot. But we drove around Europe in it for 6 months a couple of years back. I got used to the noises.

On a rare bit of smooth road, the Geist is fairly quiet. There's only a purr from the engine and there's not a lot of wind noise and the road rumble isn't too bad. However, as soon as I hit a bump or a tarmac joint on the motorway, it shakes and bangs really badly. It's uncomfortably loud as it shakes it way over the surface of the M6. Through the seat of 'yer pants, the ride isn't that bad, it's just the racket it makes as it hits a rough bit of tarmac (which is everywhere). This is before I've loaded any stuff in it, so it's not plates and bottles of beer that are making the racket, it's the body of the van. Any ideas what I can do?

The massive dash cowl appears to be pretty thin plastic. I assume there must be something behind it as I can barely hear the engine. But it sounds thin. Are they normally easy to get out? Could I stick some sound insulation to the back of it? I previously put sound insulation in the doors of my van and it made a big difference...

The tyres are Michelin Agilis Camping. They've only got 10k miles on, so they are pretty new. I know they've got a stiff sidewall. How much difference would a set of normal van tyres make to the ride quality? The van is well under it's 3.5t limit.

I've put semi-air suspension on my previous van. That was riding very low, so it was resting on the bump-stops all the time. It made the ride on big bumps a fair bit better. But I've checked the Geist and there's a good gap between the stops and the pad when it's at rest with a belly load of water, so I'm not sure how much difference semi-air would make. And when I hit a bump, the front causes just as much crash as the back. With the few trips I've made so far, the handling seems OK too.

Are there any bits that typically make the most noise? Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
As mine is so crashy and bangy, on quite low pressure , I was wondering if the alloy wheels might contribute, they are dead rigid as against steel ones which move about on most vehicles . My Fiesta is harder on alloy than steel rims.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As mine is so crashy and bangy, on quite low pressure , I was wondering if the alloy wheels might contribute, they are dead rigid as against steel ones which move about on most vehicles . My Fiesta is harder on alloy than steel rims.
Maybe. But alloys are also normally bigger than steelies. And your Fiesta probably has pretty low profile tyres compared to a van wheel, whereas I doubt it makes as much difference in a van.

What about the weight? Aren't alloys often now heavier than steel?

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
This is the pressure chart that came with the van they work great.

View attachment 509626
Something doesn't seem quite right to me about this chart and they seem to be potentially dangerously low, at least for the Michelin Agilis Camping version shown..

When compared to the two manufacturers chart extracts attached (Michelin & Continental - referred to earlier) there is a considerable discrepancy in recommendations, particularly for the heavier rear axle loadings. Using a 225/75 R16 CP tyre as an example the Continental chart suggests say 4.125bar/60psi for 1987kgs on a rear axle and the Michelin (US) chart suggests the same (for 1986kgs). However the Cathargo chart is showing only 3.5bar/50.8psi for 1960kgs.

What seems perhaps more than a coincidence is that the Cathargo chart figures are exactly the same as the Continental ones except that the latter is only for the front axle - the rear axle figures are 0.5bar/7.25psi higher.

Attachments

• Continental 225 75 R16 CP.pdf
    436.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Michelin RV tyre pressure 225 75 R16.pdf
    206.7 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Something doesn't seem quite right to me about this chart and they seem to be potentially dangerously low, at least for the Michelin Agilis Camping version shown..

When compared to the two manufacturers chart extracts attached (Michelin & Continental - referred to earlier) there is a considerable discrepancy in recommendations, particularly for the heavier rear axle loadings. Using a 225/75 R16 CP tyre as an example the Continental chart suggests say 4.125bar/60psi for 1987kgs on a rear axle and the Michelin (US) chart suggests the same (for 1986kgs). However the Cathargo chart is showing only 3.5bar/50.8psi for 1960kgs.

What seems perhaps more than a coincidence is that the Cathargo chart figures are exactly the same as the Continental ones except that the latter is only for the front axle - the rear axle figures are 0.5bar/7.25psi higher.
They work fine for me 😉

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Tyre construction can massively change the required pressures. 15 years ago I used to run my mountain bike tyres at 30-35psi. I now run tubeless at 19psi and get less punctures, better grip and less rolling resistance.

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
[QUOTE. Have an accident whether it is your fault or not and the insurance company checks those pressures against the recommended one they may choose not to pay out.....
Very unlikely. It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that insuranec companies have absolute power
[/QUOTE]

Insurance companies have lots of small print and yes they have absolute power to decide if they wish to pay out on a claim. A friend had a lodger, there was a fire in the roof of the house and it was a pure accident. When the policy was originally taken out it contained the normal question about criminal convictions which he does not have. It did not occur to him to ask the lodger (who he known for years). The insurance company refused to payout for the fire damaged roof. So yes they have absolute power. If you feel lucky 🍀 go and under-inflate those tyres.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You always have the option to challenge- in the courts if they let it get that far. I would challenge in both of these circumstances, the one you are quoting is ludicrous.
My friend would agree it was ludicrous but that is insurance companies for you....always check the T’s and C’s (not that most bother ) these T’s and C’s are weighted on the side of the insurance company and unless you are a vehicle handling and dynamics engineer you probably do not stand a chance in regard to under-inflated tyres.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Never had my tyre pressures checked after an accident. Has anyone else?
Probably depends on the accident. Are you sure tyres are never checked ! Under or over inflated tyres can be a contributory factor to an accident this could lead to the insurer to not paying or reducing the payout as the vehicle owner could be said to have contributory negligence in not maintaining the vehicle to the manufactures specification.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In the event of a potential fatality it’s possible tyre pressures and condition are a detail checked by the police but I doubt insurers would for a run of the mill prang.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
In the event of a potential fatality it’s possible tyre pressures and condition are a detail checked by the police but I doubt insurers would for a run of the mill prang.
This is key you don’t know when or how you may have your next accident wouldn’t it be awful to be told that in part the accident that caused a fatality was down to under or over inflated tyres.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This is key you don’t know when or how you may have your next accident wouldn’t it be awful to be told that in part the accident that caused a fatality was down to under or over inflated tyres.
Wouldn’t be me as mine are inflated to manufacturers recommendation and monitored by a tpms.

Upvote 0
Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
As an ex employee of a prominent auto manufacturer, in the commercial sector. (So all motorhomes) We do not recommend Tyre pressures,
As an empty vehicle require has different pressures to a loaded or even part loaded one.
My official advise, weigh your vehicle in its desired "running" state, That is after any bodybuilder has fitted his stuff, and the wife has loaded the shoes !!! (sorry couldn't resist) then inflate or deflate according to the manufacturer of the tyre, info only.
Not the chassis manufacture or the bodybuilder, they have no idea how heavy or light you will operate your MH.
It is very common for different tyre manufactures to state different pressures for the same size tyre, with the same load.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As an ex employee of a prominent auto manufacturer, in the commercial sector. (So all motorhomes) We do not recommend Tyre pressures,
As an empty vehicle require has different pressures to a loaded or even part loaded one.
My official advise, weigh your vehicle in its desired "running" state, That is after any bodybuilder has fitted his stuff, and the wife has loaded the shoes !!! (sorry couldn't resist) then inflate or deflate according to the manufacturer of the tyre, info only.
Not the chassis manufacture or the bodybuilder, they have no idea how heavy or light you will operate your MH.
It is very common for different tyre manufactures to state different pressures for the same size tyre, with the same load.
Hope this helps.
Hymer recommend tyre pressures for specific tyres and model based on gvw in handbook .

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just remember read the post

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi Folks,
I was always lead to believe that if you run tyre pressures below - or above - that stated by the manufacturer, you can be nicked by the boys in blue and your insurance can be void. I guess it depends who the manufacturer is?

thoughts???

D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've taken the plunge with the tyres. Just ordered some Continental VanContact 4Season for £650 fitted. My reasoning is that I can use the Continental Technical Databook to give an authoritative justification for running lower pressures than the 80psi all round in my vehicle's manual. According to Continental, with my plated axle weights on my little 6m, 3.5t A-class I can run 48psi at the front and 53psi at the rear, which should be a LOT less noisy. Getting them fitted on Thursday and I've got a drive on Saturday... I'll keep you updated.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi Folks,
I was always lead to believe that if you run tyre pressures below - or above - that stated by the manufacturer, you can be nicked by the boys in blue and your insurance can be void. I guess it depends who the manufacturer is?

thoughts???

D
Or the temperature or how long it has been driven. The Police would only be interested if the running pressure rendered the vehicle unsafe.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Or the temperature or how long it has been driven. The Police would only be interested if the running pressure rendered the vehicle unsafe.
I guess if you have an accident.......it is unsafe.
A guy I know was involved in an accident - which did not involve the tyres, but when they checked the vehicle over one tyre was soft and the insurance did not pay out. This was a few years ago, perhaps logic has arrived in Insurance HQ.

D

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I guess if you have an accident.......it is unsafe.
A guy I know was involved in an accident - which did not involve the tyres, but when they checked the vehicle over one tyre was soft and the insurance did not pay out. This was a few years ago, perhaps logic has arrived in Insurance HQ.

D
Many (most?) accidents have nothing to do with tyre pressures.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back