No Doors! (1 Viewer)

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
We had an old LHD French registered 'A' Class with just one door, on the nearside amidships .

Pros; More room for the cab seats, better security.

Cons; Having to clamber out through the middle of the front seats for fuel stops, filling up with water and dumping waste, etc. Access under the bonnet was tight. Windscreen replacement could be problematic especially with older vans. Large windscreen made driving in sunny weather too hot for comfort.

All in all, I prefer the idea of an 'A' Class, but practicality dictates against it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You have many emergency exits... They are called windows.

If you HAVE to EXIT in a real emergency a broken plastic window is the least of your worries.
A 5ft drop or burn to death... Your choice.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Having had a faulty lock on a hab door resulting in being locked in I would not want to have only one door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have two doors a hab door and a driver's door so one on each side but only ever use the driver's door for fuel stops. Like most A Class owners wouldn't bother us if we only had the hab door.
I don't get @Nicepix comment about the big windscreen making it too hot, I find because you are so much further away from the screen if anything it's cooler.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a hab door and a driver's door (on the passenger side). We only use the hab door as the front door has a very high step. We use the foot well for storage. I couldn't understand the comment about clambering between the front seats as in all A classes I have seen the gap is wide with full standing height so no clambering required. The front door has no lock cylinder so presumably more secure but no door would be even better.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I observed an A-class Rapido driver reversing his van into a parking slot the other day and he had to jump out of his seat on 7 occassions (at least) and down through the hab door (off-side) just to see where he was going. It looked like a right PITA to me to have no drivers access door.

He wasn't a young chap but he did look well and truly peeved-off by the time he switched off the ignition.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I observed an A-class Rapido driver reversing his van into a parking slot the other day and he had to jump out of his seat on 7 occassions (at least) and down through the hab door (off-side) just to see where he was going. It looked like a right PITA to me to have no drivers access door.

He wasn't a young chap but he did look well and truly peeved-off by the time he switched off the ignition.
Can't open the driver's door when manovering anyway as gearbox automatically selects neutral if the door is opened.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Can't open the driver's door when manovering anyway as gearbox automatically selects neutral if the door is opened.

Is that specifically for Hymer's Lenny as this bloke was in an out as if the van was on fire:D

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I don't get @Nicepix comment about the big windscreen making it too hot, I find because you are so much further away from the screen if anything it's cooler.
We are very close to the screen, only the front wheel drive A Class has the huge dashboard. We still never get warm due to the screen size. We have the option of a sunshade which can be lowered which covers both passenger and driver, or if really warm we can lower the aluminium shutter. We also have the same on both side windows, again if it’s too hot on a long drive the blind can be closed. Just need passenger to push the blind up if we reach a junction :D All 3 sunblinds can be operated by the driver.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We are very close to the screen, only the front wheel drive A Class has the huge dashboard. We still never get warm due to the screen size. We have the option of a sunshade which can be lowered which covers both passenger and driver, or if really warm we can lower the aluminium shutter. We also have the same on both side windows, again if it’s too hot on a long drive the blind can be closed. Just need passenger to push the blind up if we reach a junction :D All 3 sunblinds can be operated by the driver.

Same for us. We're close to the windscreen but have never had a problem with the heat... as Stewart, we use the blind combinations to shield our eyes from the glare from the sun. Air-con sorts the heat out. :D

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

He needs a wife or a camera.

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695

I'm going on our experience with our old Le Voyageur A Class. The front screen was wider and taller than our current Sprinter based van. The more glass, the more heat generated inside.

We've got a cracked windscreen in the current van. Won't be a problem getting it fixed on the insurance. But I reckon if the screen had broken on the old van we would possibly be looking at a write off as I doubt that we would be able to source a new screen.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm going on our experience with our old Le Voyageur A Class. The front screen was wider and taller than our current Sprinter based van. The more glass, the more heat generated inside.

We've got a cracked windscreen in the current van. Won't be a problem getting it fixed on the insurance. But I reckon if the screen had broken on the old van we would possibly be looking at a write off as I doubt that we would be able to source a new screen.
There was no problem sourcing a screen for my 15 years old (at the time) Tabbert FFB Classic.

KiwiGT

Free Member
May 5, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
There is a problem with no cab doors

Just a hab door means you can only exit the van one side

On a european van that means getting out into the traffic in the UK or always parking on the 'wrong side'

Don't you get out of your car from driver side door? Whats the difference?
Or do you slide over to the passenger side and get out so you don't get out into the traffic

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There is a problem with no cab doors

Just a hab door means you can only exit the van one side

On a european van that means getting out into the traffic in the UK or always parking on the 'wrong side'
The UK is so Motorhome unfriendly we hardly use the van in the UK so door on the r/h side is perfect for us.:ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Or do you slide over to the passenger side and get out so you don't get out into the traffic
.... good point! (y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

When I was looking at Burstner Elegances my late wife was disabled and I wanted the option of getting her in and out of the van safely.

My A class has 2 cab doors and a hab door

The hab door has an electric step - nice not to have to use that everytime I need to leave the van........and if the step didn't work for any reason?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back