No Dealer! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 25, 2020
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
Hello all. I took delivery of a new Chausson mh last October from Hayes Leisure in Birmingham. I now find that the dealer has retired and closed every thing down. I asked if another dealer was opening, or one was going to take over for service and warranty work but was told nothing was in place. I spoke to a dealer not too far away and they said they only deal with vans they sold. Where does this leave me?
Any advice would be greatly received.
Pete...

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hello all. I took delivery of a new Chausson mh last October from Hayes Leisure in Birmingham. I now find that the dealer has retired and closed every thing down. I asked if another dealer was opening, or one was going to take over for service and warranty work but was told nothing was in place. I spoke to a dealer not too far away and they said they only deal with vans they sold. Where does this leave me?
Pete...
I'd take it to Cannock Resprays as they're an authorised Chausson service agent but not a dealer. Give them a call and have a chat we found them good to deal with.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Pete...
You should have received a message from Steve Hayes and team to advise of the situation and the alternative arrangements. I know that for Pilote is is Cosford Caravans but not sure about Chausson

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
This is one of the strange monopolies within the motorhome industry, whereby the actual manufacturer/converters responsibilities cease the moment the vehicle is sold by a dealer, and from the many many posts on this very forum is a grave concern for owners who may have parted with massive sums of cash, some for their once in a lifetime dream only to find little support from the dealer. Okay I fully understand that the first port of call for any issues would be with the company from where you purchased and to whom your contract is with. But how many times do we read on here that the dealers struggle with support for their customer from the manufacturer/converter. If only the MH industry came under the SMMT maybe things might improve for all parties.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Pete...

That is an endemic problem that has been rife for many years.

The MH converters need to sort this out. When I was involved with distributorship appointments and contracts in another part of the leisure industry, I always made sure that the contract included a clause that obligated the distributor to honour warranty claims even if the goods had been bought elsewhere. If they failed to do so, there were going to be consequences.

OutTheOffice

Free Member
Apr 11, 2022
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
Hi, I have been in touch with a dealer fairly close to me and had a good response. Not been there yet but they say that they will take me on as a new customer. Sounds encouraging! They are Elite Motorhomes near Banbury. Does anyone know or have used them. Any views from existing customers?
Thanks.
Elite Motorhomes are quite close to us, whilst we have not bought a van from them, we have been in many times "just looking" and always found the staff friendly and helpful. I would not be worried about using them, I would think they will be fine, always very busy which is a good sign !!!

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Pete...
Shame Hayes appear not to have updated their website - which still shows as active with used vans for sale. Although the new vans section does maybe give a clue in saying they have very limited number of new vans for 2022 delivery!

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
You could also look for an Independent Approved Workshop. Many are Approved Agents for several marques although I don’t know if any cover Chausson.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We bought our current van from Elite and they have been great. I would recommend them most definitely

Reactions: f6c
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
You could also look for an Independent Approved Workshop. Many are Approved Agents for several marques although I don’t know if any cover Chausson.
I have an Adria and can get hab checks done at AWS as they are approved by Adria but not warranty work, not sure if it's the same for other manufacturers.

Deno

Free Member
Jan 19, 2008
Wetherby
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Carcompact
Exp
Pete...
Try River Motorhomes of Stratford on Avon they are a hire company but are an authorised service centre for Chausson. John the owner is extremely helpful.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have an Adria and can get hab checks done at AWS as they are approved by Adria but not warranty work, not sure if it's the same for other manufacturers.
We have predominantly had British built motorhomes and have had no trouble getting warranty work done by our local AWS, but they are approved by most British constructors and some European marques.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This is one of the strange monopolies within the motorhome industry, whereby the actual manufacturer/converters responsibilities cease the moment the vehicle is sold by a dealer, and from the many many posts on this very forum is a grave concern for owners who may have parted with massive sums of cash, some for their once in a lifetime dream only to find little support from the dealer. Okay I fully understand that the first port of call for any issues would be with the company from where you purchased and to whom your contract is with. But how many times do we read on here that the dealers struggle with support for their customer from the manufacturer/converter. If only the MH industry came under the SMMT maybe things might improve for all parties.
It's about time the industry was shaken up, it is an appalling set up. if you buy Bosch Phillips etc etc etc you may buy it from one outlet but choose to have it repaired by another and its no quibble If you buy a Ford etc you can take it to another dealer.

But not MoHo's I recall one dealer's sales person gave us excellent advise She listened and gave us confidence, I went around the corner to thier service department and the attitude was appalling I asked if we purchased elsewhere would they maintain it etc as they were a few hundred miles closer, I was told that before accepting the vehicle to maintain they would charge to check the vehicle first this was over and above a hat check

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Pete...
Sorry to hear you have this issue, as a suggestion if you have something like RAC legal advise speak with them also citizens advice. as tonka said contact Chanson explain the situation including the refusal of a dealer taking you on. The manufacturer should be able to smooth that path for you. My understanding is that Dealers get a low hourly rate for warranty repairs and therefore erodes profitability per unit but that's not your issue.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The motorhome market is a cottage industry

No one manufacturers motorhomes, just convert them from van designed primarily as delivery vans

So half the warranty is chassis and half converter, so your Ford sidelight at the front is covered by Ford and the sidelight at the back is under the converter warranty.

It has to be as you can’t expect a Ford garage to carry caravan parts, so your already in a grey area.

The market is tiny, last time I checked, 2.2 million new vehicles registered of which about 15,000 were motorhomes

I retired last year, I was 61 and had been in the industry since I was 30, people dripped about it then, only in letters to ‘MMM’ in those pre social media days.

Same moans really, I bought a motorhomes from a dealer in Scotland as they offered me a better deal, saving £1000 that the dealer 14 miles away! but the dealer 14 miles away is being unhelpful saying ‘We’ve got a great reputation for after care for our customers, and we don’t have the time/resources/space/additional staff necessary to undertake outside warranty work.

If a business has the requirements to look after ‘their’ customers well, in a timely manner and fashion, why should those resources be diluted to offer a potentially non paying service to a discount buying migrant, who’s main priority was discount over service!

I have bought motorhomes from America, the UK, France and Germany, not based on price but availability but accept, baring something serious I will have to fix it my self of pay someone.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This gives the list of supporters of the scheme, very few non-UK ones though.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The motorhome market is a cottage industry

No one manufacturers motorhomes, just convert them from van designed primarily as delivery vans

So half the warranty is chassis and half converter, so your Ford sidelight at the front is covered by Ford and the sidelight at the back is under the converter warranty.

It has to be as you can’t expect a Ford garage to carry caravan parts, so your already in a grey area.

The market is tiny, last time I checked, 2.2 million new vehicles registered of which about 15,000 were motorhomes

I retired last year, I was 61 and had been in the industry since I was 30, people dripped about it then, only in letters to ‘MMM’ in those pre social media days.

Same moans really, I bought a motorhomes from a dealer in Scotland as they offered me a better deal, saving £1000 that the dealer 14 miles away! but the dealer 14 miles away is being unhelpful saying ‘We’ve got a great reputation for after care for our customers, and we don’t have the time/resources/space/additional staff necessary to undertake outside warranty work.

If a business has the requirements to look after ‘their’ customers well, in a timely manner and fashion, why should those resources be diluted to offer a potentially non paying service to a discount buying migrant, who’s main priority was discount over service!

I have bought motorhomes from America, the UK, France and Germany, not based on price but availability but accept, baring something serious I will have to fix it my self of pay someone.
Understand your view Eddie but it’s hardly a cottage industry these days huge investments by the conversion manufacturers with production lines etc the Motorhome market is said to be worth $39.81 Billion now with converters/ manufacturers having a dealer network or at least claiming to have one the dealers should act like it.

You have the skills to fault and repair your Motorhome many people do not poses these skills they tend to have other skills.

We should not accept the sorry mate you did not buy it from me, if an outlet is an official dealer then they need to act like it.

As an example a Hymer dealer is happy to carry out paid work such as a Habitation check the dealers should also be prepared to undertake the warranty work.

Professional standards such as undertaking warranty work as a dealer should be second nature even if another dealer in-the network sold the Motorhome in the first place.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Understand your view Eddie but it’s hardly a cottage industry these days huge investments by the conversion manufacturers with production lines etc the Motorhome market is said to be worth $39.81 Billion now with converters/ manufacturers having a dealer network or at least claiming to have one the dealers should act like it.
Your now lumping in the American RV market as well, which is a different beast, is huge, Thor for example bailed out the Hymer group.

in the States, their is a warranty network, as getting a dealership is difficult so the dealer sings to the tune of the manufacture

In Europe having enough cash to order a load of motorhomes is the main priority of the converter, hence no warranty structures forced on the dealer as a condition

Also, as the converters pay well below the book, quibble about everything and then pay begrudgingly, normally late, again little or no incentiv.
You have the skills to fault and repair your Motorhome many people do not poses these skills they tend to have other skills.
As I say, serious would have to go back to the dealer, other than that I‘d pay to get something fixed and move on
We should not accept the sorry mate you did not buy it from me, if an outlet is an official dealer then they need to act like it.
See above, the converters don’t care
As an example a Hymer dealer is happy to carry out paid work such as a Habitation check the dealers should also be prepared to undertake the warranty work.
You pay for the habitation check, and get no issue, so offer to pay for the warranty work, get a receipt and YOU try to claim the money back, as opposed to expecting Someone else to carry out work for you, potentially unpaid, as it’s geographically convenient to you.
Professional standards such as undertaking warranty work as a dealer should be second nature even if another dealer in-the network sold the Motorhome in the first place.
It is a cottage industry, all the dealers are in competition with each other’s, and buyers are happy to buy from the cheapest with no forethought to future back up and service, two things I feel are worth paying for.

I do however agree with your sentiments Coolcats 👍🏻 But shout at the converters to put a decent parts system in place, agree to pay the going rate for workshop time and agree to pay in a timely manner.

That is where the problem lies.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Your now lumping in the American RV market as well, which is a different beast, is huge, Thor for example bailed out the Hymer group.

in the States, their is a warranty network, as getting a dealership is difficult so the dealer sings to the tune of the manufacture

In Europe having enough cash to order a load of motorhomes is the main priority of the converter, hence no warranty structures forced on the dealer as a condition

Also, as the converters pay well below the book, quibble about everything and then pay begrudgingly, normally late, again little or no incentiv.

As I say, serious would have to go back to the dealer, other than that I‘d pay to get something fixed and move on

See above, the converters don’t care

You pay for the habitation check, and get no issue, so offer to pay for the warranty work, get a receipt and YOU try to claim the money back, as opposed to expecting Someone else to carry out work for you, potentially unpaid, as it’s geographically convenient to you.

It is a cottage industry, all the dealers are in competition with each other’s, and buyers are happy to buy from the cheapest with no forethought to future back up and service, two things I feel are worth paying for.

I do however agree with your sentiments Coolcats 👍🏻 But shout at the converters to put a decent parts system in place, agree to pay the going rate for workshop time and agree to pay in a timely manner.

That is where the problem lies.
Your right about the manufactures/converters they hold the keys to make a dealer network comply, poor dealers having to find the money for stock ! This is often no different to most car dealers the stock is owned by the finance company.

Saying that Motorhome sales are small compared to cars and that’s why there is an issue does not stack up. I had a Lotus Europa Lotus made 450 not all were for the U.K. market I purchased this in the north of England at a lotus dealer and was dealt with by a lotus dealer in Essex, the same for my Evora I did not purchase that through a dealer but the warranty was fully hindered and the sales numbers for that year were 350 ( the period of buying those cars Lotus was once again in serious financial constraints) so there is no defending a poor Motorhome dealer network. The Hymer factory is probably bigger than the Lotus one.

Whilst you could view a MoHo manufacturer as ‘just a converter’ they are in all essence no different to any other manufacturer. Most car parts are shipped in and assembled most parts for a Motorhome is shipped in and assembled. Neither is a cottage industry.

The only cottage industry in the Motorhome arena as far as I can tell are the small Converters such as the VW transporters etc but certainly not the big ones

The industry needs a big shake up.

Just one last thought, supermarkets do not look at customers as people just spend say £80 per week, they look at a customer as a life time value, that £80 per week is actually a £83,000 customer over 20 years and then if they have it right thier family will also shop there….

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
How about rattling a few Chausson cages at the NEC next week? Must be some top end executives swanning around there. Pick your target and talk straight to them.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Again, I point out that fundamentally I agree wholeheartedly with you, but am pointing out things I know happen and are problematic in the industry

The converters / manufacturers (take your pick😏) are the people that stick caravan’esq bits on delivery van, their customers are the dealers

We the end users are a long way away from their thoughts, and sadly it is only they, that can improve things re nationwide warranty

But, when you’re sat at a suppliers meeting in the HQ of the UK’s largest converter and are told “But Eddie, you have to understand our staff are paid bugger all, so continually change” as an answer to our question about training people and never seeing them again, you sort of dispair!

Sep 13, 2020
Somewhere surrounded by sea
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
Have to admit that I think a dealer refusing work on one of their franchise products is rather short sighted. We have a dealer (not motorhomes) who will only service/repair products he sold and at times even refused "his own customers" with after sales service. Couldn't get my head round this as to me you are turning away potential new business/customers - not that we complained when they came to us (y) Mind you it did cause us a few problems when attempting to obtain spares that he had the sole manufacturer's agency as they wouldn't supply us!! :unsure:

Jan 25, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 727GA
Exp
Not long
I'd take it to Cannock Resprays as they're an authorised Chausson service agent but not a dealer. Give them a call and have a chat we found them good to deal with.
Just another recommendation for Cannock Resprays. They are authorised by Chausson to do warranty work and inspections and I was very pleased with the insurance repairs they did for me recently when some Herbert ran into the side of me.

OP
OP
P
Aug 25, 2020
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
Good news everybody! Elite motorhomes have emailed me to say that I have been added to their customer base and my hab check has been booked for 11th September (van will be a year old on 7th September but close enough)
Many thanks for all your rplies. I will keep Cannock resprays in mind in case of problems with Elite.
Thanks again, Pete.

Oct 15, 2020
Vale of Belvoir, Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido M66 A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Pete...
I would definitely try Elite. We had a Chausson which we both from Lowdhams, Nottingham as we live locally. Unfortunately because it was on a Ford Transit, Lowdhams stayed they could not service the vehicle although they could do the habitation. We rang Elite, and they were happy to carry out both, so we used to stay on a CL nearby or even at Elite's workshop. They were very helpful.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, I have been in touch with a dealer fairly close to me and had a good response. Not been there yet but they say that they will take me on as a new customer. Sounds encouraging! They are Elite Motorhomes near Banbury. Does anyone know or have used them. Any views from existing customers?
Thanks.
Bought a Rapido from Elite. They were ok..

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Pete...
Those Dealers who refuse to help ought to go bankrupt, I think it's being short sighted , the dealer knows Hayes have gone, and coul pick up a lot of new business , dealer near Banbury refused to help on same grounds , one in North Norfolk ( Becks ) said he would refuse any warranty work if we bought from another Dealer ( Becks are no more) we spent £70k with Rapido at Workingham in 2007 . With regards to Becks I said so if I came down to Norfolk from say up North you wouldn't help me ? He said yes we would !!!??ps. Becks 60 miles away , Rapido Workingham 150 miles from our home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back