No Customs problem (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We arrived in France, via Eurotunnel yesterday. Following a horrendous journey to Canterbury P&R. due to the M4 being closed , for roadworks, between J24/13. We covered one and a half miles in 1hour 45 minutes.:mad:

The Tunnel was very straightforward. Show Covid travel pass, get passport stamped, and onto the train one hour earlier than booked. No “fridge check” at either end, just straight out onto the Autoroute and start the holiday.

Spent last night on a free Aire in Thiberville and head to a municipal site in La Flèche. Still fairly busy here. Last night two motorhomes arrived and the Aire to find it full and had to move on.

Great to be back in France and the sun is shining.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The Municipal Site at La Fleche is a good one. Out of season. (ie now) it is very quiet, less than 20% full. Good size pitches, level and 10amp EHU. In high season there is a swimming pool, tennis courts and play area.

The town itself is attractive with a market on Wednesday morning. The photo is taken from a bridge during the five minute walk into town.

0688E67C-DC8E-43B1-A5D3-C5D4AF201E77.jpeg

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
After a two night stay at La Flèche where the Municipal site was very quiet

7E5D48DA-DDAB-4595-AAE1-989FDEFD0567.jpeg

we have travelled to Nantes, staying at Nantes Camping which is considerably busier although looking magnificent with Autumn colours.

8AB3F5C3-A44B-49A9-BA3D-A6FF70FFAA5D.jpeg

Tomorrow we will go into Nantes and explore using the tram that stops just outside the camp gates. The site is good, for a city site, but reception couldn’t tell me how many amps their pitch supply is. If the whole of Western France goes dark this evening it is because we have overloaded the supply.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

View attachment 547990

we have travelled to Nantes, staying at Nantes Camping which is considerably busier although looking magnificent with Autumn colours.

View attachment 547991

Tomorrow we will go into Nantes and explore using the tram that stops just outside the camp gates. The site is good, for a city site, but reception couldn’t tell me how many amps their pitch supply is. If the whole of Western France goes dark this evening it is because we have overloaded the supply.
Did you travel through La Chataigneraie between La Fleche and Nantes? If you did, you probably passed the end of our road at Cheffois!

Steve & Elaine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

View attachment 547990

View attachment 547991

Don't forget to pick up some Rigoletts when in Nantes

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Don't forget to pick up some Rigoletts when in Nantes

<Broken link removed>

Now you have told us about them we will certainly try!:giggle:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Now you have told us about them we will certainly try!:giggle:
They are delicious and we ordered some as we couldn't get to them, well worth hunting the shop down :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The Municipal Site at La Fleche is a good one. Out of season. (ie now) it is very quiet, less than 20% full. Good size pitches, level and 10amp EHU. In high season there is a swimming pool, tennis courts and play area.

The town itself is attractive with a market on Wednesday morning. The photo is taken from a bridge during the five minute walk into town.

View attachment 547416
Every, and I mean EVERY!!! Time we've tried to stay at La Fleche, we've found it occupied by a travelling fair.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Pass Sanitaire.

Progress so far.....

2 x café bar. Not asked for
1 x café/bar. Asked for and visually checked, no problem
1 x restaurant. Asked for and scanned. Came up as “Invalid”. Proprietor accepted it as “foreign pass” although it was the correct French Pass Sanitaire.

We await further experiences.🤞

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Pass Sanitaire.

Progress so far.....

2 x café bar. Not asked for
1 x café/bar. Asked for and visually checked, no problem
1 x restaurant. Asked for and scanned. Came up as “Invalid”. Proprietor accepted it as “foreign pass” although it was the correct French Pass Sanitaire.

We await further experiences.🤞
Ours has been checked almost everywhere, even when sitting outside.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We only sit outside and have always been asked (bar/resto) for the pass. It seems to scan fine from TousAntiCovid. The young lady stamping passports at Folkestone was very impressed we had the app. Only scanned one of the two.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We only sit outside and have always been asked (bar/resto) for the pass. It seems to scan fine from TousAntiCovid. The young lady stamping passports at Folkestone was very impressed we had the app. Only scanned one of the two.
Our Covid Vaccination Pass is on TousAntiCovid and has been accepted when viewed visually but “failed” when scanned. We will see what happens today when we visit a different restaurant for lunch.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Grianan
We used our TousAntiCovid pass today on three occasions where it was scanned and it was accepted each time. Surprisingly, one of them was the restaurant where it shied “Invalid” yesterday. I can only imagine that there was something wrong with the guy’s scanner yesterday.

Anyway, all working OK now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had trouble in Gruissan one restaurant I particularly wanted to go scanned our passes & our friends all came up invalid, did an update the same. Went to another restaurant no problem scanned OK.
I've downloaded the scanning app that even scanned our NHS ones OK. I think the problem is the people using the scanning app have not updated the app.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
maison interestingly, at the bakery where we used it successfully yesterday, today it was invalide. The girl took our word though. It was ok later on at the fish place at the end of the chalets road. It does seem to depend on whether they have downloaded the updated app. I had got complacent and should have carried copies of our certificates.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Further to my post re the mechanical elephant at Nantes which is well worth seeing.

We returned today to the Gallerie de Machines to see the rest in action. A word of warning to anyone who wishes to do the same.......if you are not fluent, and I mean almost native speaker fluent, make sure that you get the English audio translation App as you enter.

We speak French reasonably well but could not follow the commentary due to the speed of delivery. The French crowd lapped it up and there were clearly some good jokes in there judging by the audience reaction. Overall, even allowing for that we found the experience to be underwhelming. The Elephant, however, is a must and free to see. A ride on him/her will cost you €8.50.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Travelled via tunnel last Sunday, customs no problem, no fridge or food check!!!! Drove straight to Belgium (Bruges) no-one at campsite asked about Covid tests etc. Two days later drove into Germany (Trier), campsite looked at Covid Vaccination proof nothing more. Three days later drive into France (Strasbourg), again looked at Vaccination proof nothing else. Leaving to go back to Germany (Koblenz) tomorrow then on to Liege on Thursday before returning home next Sunday. Have checked and double checked everything but no-one seems interested in whether we have completed the requirements. Spent FAR TOO LONG checking through and following all the rules as no-one seems to care wherever we go. BUT to get back to the UK we have to take a test! It just doesn’t add up.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
maison

Mechanical elephant at Nantes on the old shipyard, is fantastic. Did you take the land train around the city (starts outside the cathedral)? they will give you an english print out of the commentary if you ask.

A little bit further south at La Roche sur Yon, they have mechanical animals (hydraulically operated) in the town centre 'square' that you can operate yourself freely (no charge) - we even found space to park the motorhome on one of the surrounding streets.

there is also a 'water ski' lake not too far from you - there is even an attached (not free) aire. if you like outdoor activities it might just be ideal for you?

<Broken link removed>

The Vendee is a great area for motorhomes, with lots of free aires,but sadly we havent been there this year!

Have fun !!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Another data point:

We travelled by ferry from Sardinia to Barcelona yesterday. We couldn’t complete the required form (server error!) and it was needed before embarcation. The ferry checkin office bailed us out.

On arrival in Barcelona the security staff wanted to see the Covid QR form, but just a glance, no scanning was done. However they did ask if we had come from the Ukraine. I wonder why :)

In Sardinia most places we visited didn’t ask for a vaccination form, one or two looked at the form, one or two scanned it. It’s always worth having it on you, or loaded into the French app.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Actually asked for evidence of double vaccination today - went for a snack in 5 Guys in Strasbourg!!!!

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
maison

Mechanical elephant at Nantes on the old shipyard, is fantastic. Did you take the land train around the city (starts outside the cathedral)? they will give you an english print out of the commentary if you ask.

A little bit further south at La Roche sur Yon, they have mechanical animals (hydraulically operated) in the town centre 'square' that you can operate yourself freely (no charge) - we even found space to park the motorhome on one of the surrounding streets.

there is also a 'water ski' lake not too far from you - there is even an attached (not free) aire. if you like outdoor activities it might just be ideal for you?

<Broken link removed>

The Vendee is a great area for motorhomes, with lots of free aires,but sadly we havent been there this year!

Have fun !!
No we didn’t take the land train. We didn’t see it so it may not be operating out of season, but we did walk all the distance of the “green line” tourist route. We found Nantes to be an interesting city if you are prepared to “walk the walk”.

Today we moved on and had a difficult time finding sites open at this time of year. We are currently settled on a Municipal Site, “La Garenne”, at Port de Barque. 275 pitches and only 35 Pitches occupied it is next. To the beach and only a short walk to bars and shops. It closes at the end of this month where most sites on the Atlantic coast close at the end of September.

We previously drove onto the Ile de Re but the only site we could find open was crowded with tiny pitches all under trees so, in October, not too warm. It was a bit run down so we didn’t stay.

At 1800hrs this evening, on this site, the temperature here was a balmy 22° C. We hope to totally chill for a couple of days before planning(?) our next move.

It’s great to be free again.

Last edited:

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
Reading this thread has made me really anxious to get away after over two years stuck at home. (Family reasons plus Covid). After finishing my GCEs in 1959 I was lucky enough to have two years at boarding school in Pont du Cens, a suburb of Nantes. I had the long term loan of a Velo Solex and whizzed all over the place on it. Such happy memories and my French is still fairly fluent, due to frequent trips across the Channel. Can't wait to get back !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back