Nextbase 312GW dashcam (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Can the above dash cam be fitted at high level on the Motorhome windscreen without impeding the Remis blinds? ( Fiat Ducato )

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have the Nextbase 412 and it does impede the blinds, they are the Remis ones that close together from the sides in to the centre.
We have found a sort of solution by attaching the dashcam to a plate held by the clip on the centre dashboard however it’s not great as there is some vibration on the camera picture. Yet to find an good solution.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just got delivering of mine. Will be checking either tomorrow or Saturday and can let you know if nobody else confirms.
Removed our internal mirror so hoping may be able to use it's "gap" in the Remis blinds. If it doesn't will be fitting on dashboard as the unit it's replacing.

Oops, see @Riverbankannie has said it impacts the blinds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Just got delivering of mine. Will be checking either tomorrow or Saturday and can let you know if nobody else confirms.
Removed our internal mirror so hoping may be able to use it's "gap" in the Remis blinds. If it doesn't will be fitting on dashboard as the unit it's replacing.

Our mirror is our reversing camera screen so can’t remove it. Will be interested to see how you get on. I would prefer it at high level rather than the dashboard so it gets a better view. Also we have our satnav on the dashboard so will be a wee bit busy (as well as the risk of vibration).

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Our mirror is our reversing camera screen so can’t remove it. Will be interested to see how you get on. I would prefer it at high level rather than the dashboard so it gets a better view. Also we have our satnav on the dashboard so will be a wee bit busy (as well as the risk of vibration).
Will get back to you once I've trial fitted it.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Can the above dash cam be fitted at high level on the Motorhome windscreen without impeding the Remis blinds? ( Fiat Ducato )
I have a Nextbase 412GW, and also Remis Blinds. As I am sure you know, the Blinds have a spring-loaded section that goes round the Reversing Camera mounting, but I have found that if I loosen the "Ball & Socket" on the camera mount, I can fold the camera forward so that it clears the blind, without disconnecting it.

Attachments

• WP_20180426_008.jpg
    WP_20180426_008.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 90
  • WP_20180426_009.jpg
    WP_20180426_009.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 92
  • WP_20180426_012.jpg
    WP_20180426_012.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 93

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have a Nextbase 412GW, and also Remis Blinds. As I am sure you know, the Blinds have a spring-loaded section that goes round the Reversing Camera mounting, but I have found that if I loosen the "Ball & Socket" on the camera mount, I can fold the camera forward so that it clears the blind, without disconnecting it.
Looks good @Revolvor
Will try it with ours.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Thats ideal! Thanks.
Looks like a goer.....

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes ours too, I have mine at the bottom of the screen so feed the cable under the bottom rail and push the camera out of the way at night. I have been un clipping the camera here in Spain as it was getting too hot. I've put silver screens on now as we're here for a week or two.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Does the 312 & 412 not have a quick release magnetic mount, with no cable unplugging ?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

I’m sure you will be able to use the gap if you have removed the mirror. I’m going to try again with it on the screen and use the folding technique above.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Does the 312 & 412 not have a quick release magnetic mount, with no cable unplugging ?
Yes, the camera comes off the mount easily, without unplugging, but the mount that is left behind still fouls the blind, and so has to be folded away. Actually, I usually unclip the camera when the blinds are closed, as it is rather conspicuous.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Is it not going to be a bit of a palaver having to re-align the camera every time after folding it to miss the blinds.
I don't find it a problem. I always point it down a bit so not too much sky to affect the image brightness, but with the wide angle lens it's not too critical.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I thought it was illegal to mount the dashcam where the driver could see the screen as it is classed as a video display. I always mount it behind the rear mirror or reverse camera and remove it to close the blinds. As a previous post suggested it easy to remount and there is quite a bit off leeway to record the road ahead.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I thought it was illegal to mount the dashcam where the driver could see the screen as it is classed as a video display. I always mount it behind the rear mirror or reverse camera and remove it to close the blinds. As a previous post suggested it easy to remount and there is quite a bit off leeway to record the road ahead.

I don't know if a dashcam quite falls into the video display classification but in theory the placement of mine could leave me on dodgy ground but when I sit in my driving position the only thing the dashcam obscures is a section of the nearside parked wiper blade as it's very low and well over to the passenger side.
Here's the legal bit for mounting a dashcam.

My cashcam screen blanks out to a speed readout after a minute of running and to be honest I never look at it while driving, no need to, but satnav's now there's a video display normally in the drivers vision.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@jdk62 @Riverbankannie
Well partially set-up the new Nextbase 312GW dashcam in the motorhome today as follows -
  • rear view mirror had been removed as surplus to requirements however it was mounted on a triangular shaped "painted" area similar to the sunshade fill in between the visors
  • this residual "paint" meant the suction mount could not get a good fix to the windscreen but was addressed by using a clear sticky backed circular film (think it came with a previous sat nav to be used to fix it to the dashboard)
  • when the mount is fitted to the windscreen there is insufficient space between it and the Remis blinds to allow them to close as in @Revolvor solution
  • however the blinds do close with the mount projecting through the mirror cutout in them
  • but, I have to disconnect the power cable as it makes the mount just too wide to fit through
  • I can also leave the dashcam mounted albeit not in it's travelling position \ angle
upload_2018-4-29_16-42-27.png

upload_2018-4-29_16-43-6.png

• I had problems with the electrical connection for the hard wiring kit as the fuse board at the drivers right knee has a different layout \ contents to the manual so will need to investigate this further (anybody know anything about this layout?)
  • in the interim I used the cigar lighter cable run along the top of the blind casing, down the door trim seal, under the glove box and up to the socket so you only see about 6" of the cable from the plug
Now just need to go somewhere nice to try it out!(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You don’t seem to have a very big rectangular gap for your removed rear view mirror? Ours is quite large and the whole dash cam unit would easily fit in it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You don’t seem to have a very big rectangular gap for your removed rear view mirror? Ours is quite large and the whole dash cam unit would easily fit in it.
On ours it's only the "leg" of the mirror that needs to fit through as the blinds are so close to the windscreen. The mirror would be on the inside of the blinds just like the dashcam in the above photo.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
@jdk62 @Riverbankannie
Well partially set-up the new Nextbase 312GW dashcam in the motorhome today as follows -
  • rear view mirror had been removed as surplus to requirements however it was mounted on a triangular shaped "painted" area similar to the sunshade fill in between the visors
  • this residual "paint" meant the suction mount could not get a good fix to the windscreen but was addressed by using a clear sticky backed circular film (think it came with a previous sat nav to be used to fix it to the dashboard)
  • when the mount is fitted to the windscreen there is insufficient space between it and the Remis blinds to allow them to close as in @Revolvor solution
  • however the blinds do close with the mount projecting through the mirror cutout in them
  • but, I have to disconnect the power cable as it makes the mount just too wide to fit through
  • I can also leave the dashcam mounted albeit not in it's travelling position \ angle
View attachment 228182

View attachment 228186
  • I had problems with the electrical connection for the hard wiring kit as the fuse board at the drivers right knee has a different layout \ contents to the manual so will need to investigate this further (anybody know anything about this layout?)
  • in the interim I used the cigar lighter cable run along the top of the blind casing, down the door trim seal, under the glove box and up to the socket so you only see about 6" of the cable from the plug
Now just need to go somewhere nice to try it out!(y)

Thanks for sharing. My problem is that I still need to retain our review miror as it is our reverse camera display.

Bulleteer

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
Dromara, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
We have a Nextbase 312. We stick it on the windscreen when we are driving and simply unstick it when parked up and it goes in the glovebox. It takes literally 10 seconds to restick it to the windscreen before driving off. It’s easy to see where it goes, as it leaves a slight ring on the window. Simples....no drama!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back