Newbies-- The NCC Motorhome Show February 2024. What is it? Is it worth Going? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The National Caravan Council organises two annual shows at the NEC in Birmingham. Historically, for us motorhome fans, the February show has always been the poor relation to its October counterpart. The autumn show is renowned for its extensive array of motorhomes, introducing us to next year's models from almost every European manufacturer. The clue is in the names. The October the Show is called the Motorhome and Caravan Show. While the February show is the Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show.

However, the February event, while dedicating significant space to outdoor living, including tents, awnings, and caravans, does include a substantial motorhome section spread across more than two massive halls.

Looking at the exhibitors' list, this year's February show looks promising for motorhome enthusiasts. A wide range of manufacturers will showcase their latest models, including Adria, Auto-sleepers, Auto Trail, Bailey of Bristol, Carthago, Chausson, Coachman, Eura Mobil, Frankia, Itineo, Knaus, Morelo, Pilote, Rapido, Rimor, and Roller Team. So, there's plenty to look at there.

Several large dealers, such as Brownhills, Don Amott, Lowdhams, and Marquis, will be present, offering an extensive selection of motorhomes to explore.

The show runs from 13th to 18th February 2024. Notably, while there is plenty of parking for even the largest motorhome; there is no overnight parking available for motorhomes. Which, in my opinion, is a significant oversight for a motorhome show!

As a result, visitors will need to plan this as a day trip. That said, as day trips go, this one is well worth a visit. I'm definitely going. The NCC February Show

If any regulars to this show have any tips for newbies who are thinking about attending, please post them in this thread.

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hopefully these comments might help?

We stopped over on a free park up for one night near a reservoir, on the car park (hard standing) not too far away, there is a sailing club there aswell, but I can't remember exactly where it was, but it was less than 10 miles away. There were four other motorhomes there, so it felt safe. It was about five years ago though ... If it's still an option I would suggest getting there early evening and no tables/ chairs etc just overnight sleeping!

We have also stayed at manor farm campsite, Rugby, for one night with hard surface parking and a great farm shop and restaurant. It's about 30 minutes drive if traffic isn't heavy. It was less than £10 for the night (but She Who Must Shop) spent about £40 in the shop!). Nice little pub about 50 yards away!

Fogstar have a discount code on their website for entry to the show.

Have fun if you're going and enjoy !!

Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pamplona
Exp
Since 2018
There are several sites within an easy drive of the show. We have enjoyed the shows in the past but be prepared to be overwhelmed with the number of vans there.

IMG_9356.png

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some people suggest taking a flask and sandwiches as the catering is expensive, it can certainly be busy at times. I have to agree with Jim that the lack of overnight parking is unfortunate but I guess they have their reasons.

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
We have been going to the Feb show every year for 3 years. It is a great start to the year. As we live near York we go for weekend and stop overnight at the Travelodge Airport 15mins away. We love the variety of stuff being exhibited and the speakers are informative. The first year we bought our first PVC despite not intending to buy anything but subsequently just gone for the look round and buzz. Splitting the show over 2 days allows us to take it more leisurely and allows us to use the Sunday finish and to revisit exhibitors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Will be our first visit to the one at the NEC. Done the one at Manchester a couple of times and it makes for an interesting day out. Driving down from Yorkshire and back in the day. Good job we hadn’t planned a trip in the van as it’s back at the dealers with a water ingress problem. Shall be making my views known at the Autotrail stand!

Feb 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Exp
Since 2019
Whilst living in the USA at the time, we went to the February show in 2019 and stayed in a local hotel for 3 days. 2 days to browse and 1 day to buy. It was good then and had a lot of Motorhomes and a good array of associated camping equipment. We managed to see all of the homes (or close varients) on our short list (about 6) but because of the show and physical experience, ended up buying something different and more suitable for our needs.

The following August we jumped off the Queen Mary in Southampton, jumped into our new Home and spent the next few months touring the South West of England House Hunting.

A successful show for us. Was thinking of going again this year, but didn't know the October show is bigger.

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
We went for the first time last year and enjoyed it. Loads to see we bought all manor of crap we didn’t know we needed!
It’s a good start to the camping year and we shall be going along this February too.

We stayed at a little CS site last year, but think we’ll just go to a Britstop this time so we can eat out.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A successful show for us. Was thinking of going again this year, but didn't know the October show is bigger.
If you were going to come over from the USA and do one motorhome show, then the really big show is the Caravan and Motorhome Salon in Dusseldorf every September.

It makes the October show at the NEC look like a village fete.

Sep 25, 2021
Burntwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 331
Exp
Will be our first visit to the one at the NEC. Done the one at Manchester a couple of times and it makes for an interesting day out. Driving down from Yorkshire and back in the day. Good job we hadn’t planned a trip in the van as it’s back at the dealers with a water ingress problem. Shall be making my views known at the Autotrail stand!
If you intend to see everything you will have one hell of a long day. I suggest you stay overnight somewhere

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you intend to see everything you will have one hell of a long day. I suggest you stay overnight somewhere
I think with any large show, the best thing is to download a list of exhibitors, get hold of a map of the stands and then use a highlighter to mark all the stands you want to visit.

I've managed to do the NEC several times in one (very full) day using this method.
Seen all I want to see, as well as seeing all the stuff "I really need" to put in the back of the motorhome and never use, but it might be useful one day.

Sep 25, 2021
Burntwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 331
Exp
I think with any large show, the best thing is to download a list of exhibitors, get hold of a map of the stands and then use a highlighter to mark all the stands you want to visit.

I've managed to do the NEC several times in one (very full) day using this method.
Seen all I want to see, as well as seeing all the stuff "I really need" to put in the back of the motorhome and never use, but it might be useful one day.
After driving down from Yorkshire to Birmingham, then spending a day at the show I would not like to drive back home the same day unless there is a second driver. Tiredness is a killer

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Will focus mainly on motorhomes. Sure we will end up buying something ‘useful’ but nothing springs to mind at the mo (not another motorhome). Arranged a dog sitter for the day. Overnight would be pushing our luck. Just over 100 miles each way, about 2 hours so not too difficult for us. Thanks for the concern everyone 😀

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Wear some comfortable shoes, the hard floor can be a killer otherwise, especially if youre on your feet walking around all day !

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It depends on what market one is in for a MH.

I note from Jim's list of participants that Hymer, N&B and others in that range are absent.

If one is interested in that sort of range then a tour of Germany taking in the factories might be more productive.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It depends on what market one is in for a MH.

I note from Jim's list of participants that Hymer, N&B and others in that range are absent.

If one is interested in that sort of range then a tour of Germany taking in the factories might be more productive.

I think I recall Hymer saying a while ago that they were only going to do the largest shows and even then, only every other year. That was just post Covid though, so maybe the policy has changed again.

If you go to the show and feel the need to look at the Hymer range, pop into Travelworld who are nearby. They have an event happening at the same time as the show and their showroom is pretty impressive.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think I recall Hymer saying a while ago that they were only going to do the largest shows and even then, only every other year. That was just post Covid though, so maybe the policy has changed again.

If you go to the show and feel the need to look at the Hymer range, pop into Travelworld who are nearby. They have an event happening at the same time as the show and their showroom is pretty impressive.

Judging by posts on MHFun their reputation is not so impressive.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Judging by posts on MHFun their reputation is not so impressive.

Depends who you speak to I suppose. My experience of them over the years has been excellent. Though some individuals here not been happy. In todays connected world if you have a stinker of a reputation you are not going to last long. Yet they have been around a long time and doing very well. A quick look at Broken Link Removedwhich is the first place people go to trash companies, and they have predominantly 5 star reviews.

While people can get bad reviews removed from most review sites that is very difficult to do with Google Reviews. Yes there can be fake reviews on Google but they are easy to spot. So on the whole it would appear they have a good reputation. Of course there will always be someone along to tell you they are crap, it is a forum after all. :D

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Depends who you speak to I suppose. My experience of them over the years has been excellent. Though some individuals here not been happy. In todays connected world if you have a stinker of a reputation you are not going to last long. Yet they have been around a long time and doing very well. A quick look at Broken Link Removedwhich is the first place people go to trash companies, and they have predominantly 5 star reviews.

While people can get bad reviews removed from most review sites that is very difficult to do with Google Reviews. Yes there can be fake reviews on Google but they are easy to spot. So on the whole it would appear they have a good reputation. Of course there will always be someone along to tell you they are crap, it is a forum after all. :D
As you say it’s easy to post poor or bad reviews and people are more likely to post a bad experience. Autotrail score just over 1star on Trustpilot based on 47 reviews. Would think over all the years of them trading they’ve sold 1000s of vans. It would seem most buyers have problems of sorts with vans new and used of all makes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back