Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
Hi everyone

I'm Toni and my other half is Barry. We have recently purchased an American RV and we're off on our first trip to Grantham tomorrow.

The water tank was drained prior to us purchasing the RV and we have filled it ready for our trip. I do not know when it was last sanitized so I'm not sure if we should drink the water. Should I take some bottled water for teeth cleaning etc.?

I would appreciate your thoughts asap!!

Cheers
Toni

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site. With regards to the water, I do hope the rv watertanks are heated and stand no chance of freezing. Personally I would have made do with bottled water at this time of the year, it is freezing in the South so must be well below where you are, If you are happy the water pipes will not freeze, then don't forget to bleed the waterheater through before lighting it. Do also make sure the engine has antifreeze. Good luck and enjoy your first trip. Bottled water for teeth cleaning may be a good idea until you have sanitised the tank and system.

Upvote 0

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
Hi Toni

We always take enough fresh water in 5 ltr. bottles for drinking and brushing teeth.

Hope you enjoy your time away. We leave in another week for the south of Spain.

Have fun Sooty

Upvote 0

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
We never drink water from the tank, even though we sterilise it after every trip, we only use it for washing and very occasionally for washing up.

We drink bottled water for a cold drink or filtered water for tea or coffee. We carry a 10 litre bottle for fresh water but always filter it before use.

Phil.

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
Toni & Barry

We have already arrived at Grantham (the New Year Meet). We tend to not fill the water tank until we arrive at our destination otherwise you are carrying unneccessary weight, a little is Ok. There is a tap to fill the tank on arrival, just remember to bring a hose. Added to this we always carry a small plastic jerry can with a tap, 3 gallons, this we use for drinking water, tea and cleaning teeth and is kept accessible to the kitchen area, it also doubles up to fill the tank, if you cannot get near enough to a tap.

Look forward to meeting you.

Nigel and Pamala (Sundowners)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Hi

A different view..

We have lived in our RV for over two years, in that time none of us has suffered any ill effects from drinking water from our tank.. we never buy bottled water nor fill bottles from the site tap, we don't treat the water in the tank and we don't use food grade hose but I always flush it through before filling.

I sanitise the system once a year using a cup of household bleach mixed with one tank of water. This is run though the system and allowed to 'work' for about a half hour, it is then drained and flushed.. However, a system in constant use is much less likely to suffer from bacteria than one which is used less frequently where water could go stagnant if not drained completely.. In these circumstances it would be wise to sanitise between trips.

As a precaution I fitted a Nature Pure water filter, this is used for drinking, making ice cubes or diluting with squash .. nothing else.

Before filling from a site tap I always disinfect the tap using dilute bleach dispensed from a spray bottle, if you have witnessed what some do at taps then you will understand why.

Bottled water is a con, it is no better than tap water and it's also a waste of the planets resources.

When travelling I always like to have at least a half tank for use on the journey or for an un scheduled over night stop.

Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back