Newb' (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dont Own - Yet!
Hi All 👋

New here. Hoping to learn much about the pitfalls and pluses of living in a Motorhome in the UK.

I am a 50 year old male divorcee looking to invest in and live in a Van full-time. The prospect of living in a small apartment paying extortionate rent to a landlord with the possibility of eviction does not appeal! Does anyone here have experience of full-time off grid in the UK?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
w2f
No personal experience of full time vanlife but others on here have so I'm sure they'll be along soon to offer advice.
As I see it, it's superficially a very attractive option for the reasons you outline.
The reality I think is a little different, one of your biggest problems will be where to park, campsites can work out very expensive full time and off grid parking is problematic. There's also electric and services. Solar would possibly keep you going in summer but no chance in a UK winter.
There's always a route to get around these problems but sometimes not an easy one.
Anyway, lots to explore and good luck with your project.
If you become a full member then there is a good motorhome buyers guide in the resources section which will give you plenty to work on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
F
Mar 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dont Own - Yet!
w2f
No personal experience of full time vanlife but others on here have so I'm sure they'll be along soon to offer advice.
As I see it, it's superficially a very attractive option for the reasons you outline.
The reality I think is a little different, one of your biggest problems will be where to park, campsites can work out very expensive full time and off grid parking is problematic. There's also electric and services. Solar would possibly keep you going in summer but no chance in a UK winter.
There's always a route to get around these problems but sometimes not an easy one.
Anyway, lots to explore and good luck with your project.
If you become a full member then there is a good motorhome buyers guide in the resources section which will give you plenty to work on.
Yes, those issues you outlined did cross my mind... But surely if I had to pay campsite fees it would still work out considerably cheaper than a home with utility bills etc... Lots to consider (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Averaged out over the year with off and hi season etc. I think you will find it hard to pitch up for less than £25 a night. £750 per month, £9,125 per annum. Most likely on a small grass only site ten miles or so from town.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back