New Owner (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2017
Audenshaw Manchester
Funster No
MH
Compass 180 Rambler
Exp
2017 Just started as Retirement looms in August
Pick up a Motorhome this weekend would like to know the following please, of which I have no doubt has been asked by others before.
Need the following applianced

Kettle
Toaster
TV
Microwave

Can they be ordinary domestic ones I use at home or do they have to be a special wattage for Motorhomes and if so any hints on best places to buy

Many Thanks
Newbie Allen

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Pick up a Motorhome this weekend would like to know the following please, of which I have no doubt has been asked by others before.
Need the following applianced

Kettle
Toaster
TV
Microwave

Can they be ordinary domestic ones I use at home or do they have to be a special wattage for Motorhomes and if so any hints on best places to buy

Many Thanks
Newbie Allen

Kettle - I use the gas hob type

Toaster - again gas hob mostly using a camping type fold-up toaster.... or I have a small cheap and chearful low wattage proper one.. for the odd occasions i’m on EHU..

Don’t have or use a microwave...

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Microwave should be low wattage if you dont want to trip the electrics. You centre use a domestic kettle but again better with low wattage for the same reason. I remember don’t use all of the appliances at the same time - especially if you have rlectr8c heating on!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.
Our kettle and toaster are both low wattage. Don't use a microwave but do have a low wattage Remoska. Our TV is an Avtex - see link for info: - http://www.avtex.co.uk/

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Motorhoming gives you the freedom not to have to use campsites, especially when you start venturing abroad. So do not assume you will always have mains electrics.

Use gas wherever possible for products that heat, so kettle and toaster. Love the sound of the whistle on our kettle. Much better than the beep beep of an electric one. We rarely use the microwave at home, so no need for one in the moho. We have a small built in gas oven that heats any ready meals we want just as well, but a bit slower. But then you should be relaxing when in the moho, not rushing about.

Get a 12V TV, they are just as good and lots to choose from. In fact all LED TVs use low voltage internally anyway, so no need for 240V. Avtex 12v TVs are good but expensive. My Cello 12v TV bought from Ebay is just as good and a lot less expensive.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You will be lucky if you can get it all to work. We have been away for 16 weeks this year WITHOUT a Microwave, Electric Kettle or anything else.

All 240v appliances are power hungry.

You have to learn to live without. We use the oven ( Small ) , 3 Burner Gas Hob , Sandwich Maker ( On Gan Hob ) , Ordinary Kettle on Gas Hob.

Unless you are thinking of doing nothing but sit on campsites with electric hookup you are just wasting space which is at a premium in most motorhomes.

OP
OP
A
Sep 28, 2017
Audenshaw Manchester
Funster No
MH
Compass 180 Rambler
Exp
2017 Just started as Retirement looms in August
Thank you all for taking the time to Reply

I will go for the Low Voltage option on all appliances

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think he means 12v rather than 240v

To run what OP "needs" he'll need 240v - so will need to be on hookup. 12v kettles are worse than useless IMHO and never heard of a 12v toaster.

Personally I wouldn't entertain a free-standing microwave - and for the amount it's used I wouldn't bother in any future van. Kettle on gas hob, toast done under gas grill. TV would be better to have a 12v designed for use in a M/H but the smaller domestic type would be okay - if you really feel you need a telly!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A simple question has been asked so I shall answer it.

If you are intending to use campsites with electric hook-up then a lot of the cheaper end of the market appliances will already be lower wattage models, eg these are at Asda:

Kettle - 2200w:

Toaster - 870w:

Microwave - 600w:

Microwave - 700w:

As for a TV, you don't have to spend a lot of money for a specific 12v one as a lot of mains ones actually have a transformer in the mains lead itself converting it to 12v, look at the cables to check.

Reactions: Mel

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome!
Motorhomes are also referred to as 'campers'. I mention that to emphasise the need to change your habits whilst away rather than to try and continue as you might at home. Doing so is part of the escape.
Good luck in your travels. I can understand your desire to rush out and buy accessories for your new toy (but haven't you already spent enough money?). I did the same. Could I suggest, though, that you quell such enthusiasm and discover what your real needs are first? You are in danger of overloading your van with equipment that you may not need or be able to use. Microwaves, for example, may be handy (I've had them, myself) but they are heavy and require mains electricity.
Unless you're happy to be tethered to mains, use gas for any form of heat and 12V for electronics. You should discover that there's no need for mains and you can venture even further afield.
Do let us know how you get on!

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi welcome to fun happy and safe travels.
We use gas kettle .low wattage toaster
Off inverter. no microwave.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We've got a microwave built into our van ( standard fit) .
It's 3 years + old ,only ever used as a bread bin.
I'd have it taken out , if I could find the correct door ( to match rest of the van) to replace it with,as we could always use an extra cupboard.
We only have Electrical hook up , only very occasionally .

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Enjoy your new unit.

If you ever intend to tour in Europe you will find many sites supply only 6amp hook-ups so low wattage appliances are essential if you don't want the inconvenience and embarrassment of tripping the supply.

Because of our colder weather most U.K. Sites have 13-16 amp hook ups so will take more powerful, and power hungry, appliances.

Because we spend much time abroad we use low wattage or gas all the time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've got a microwave built into our van ( standard fit) .
It's 3 years + old ,only ever used as a bread bin.
I'd have it taken out , if I could find the correct door ( to match rest of the van) to replace it with,as we could always use an extra cupboard.
We only have Electrical hook up , only very occasionally .
I assume you're microwave is mounted something like this:

media

Why not get a contrasting door rather than a matching one, then you can 'dump' the microwave until you need to put it back in when you sell your MH. You could try contacting O'Leary who get excess stuff from Swift etc (new old stock) so might have something suitable for you.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I assume you're microwave is mounted something like this:

media

Why not get a contrasting door rather than a matching one, then you can 'dump' the microwave until you need to put it back in when you sell your MH. You could try contacting O'Leary who get excess stuff from Swift etc (new old stock) so might have something suitable for you.
Thanks Mel, That's a lot tidier than mine.
I might try that.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
It is much better to go away for a trip or two in your van and decide what you really need than to guess what you think you will need before you even get started.
For instance when we are home we would not be without a microwave, but we find we never miss it when we are away. Same goes for the telly, and we actually look forward to a few weeks without the damn thing when we are away. However SWMBO cannot function without a hair drier....................:love::love::love:

The Tincas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back