Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999

New 'Blind Spot' Law introduced​

file.jpg
c1f7c7_487ccc8abb664a828d84e408fe00d618~mv2.webp

A new law in France for any large vehicles over 3.5 tonne/ 3500kg (including motorhomes) has been introduced from the 1st January, 2021 aimed at reducing accidents due to any ‘blind spots’ on these vehicles. These vehicles are now required to display warning stickers on the rear & sides showing the location of any blind spots on the vehicle - the aim being to warn any vulnerable road users such as motorcyclists/ cyclists & pedestrians who may drive or pass behind an HGV.
The signs should be displayed on the rear & sides at a height between 0.9m & 1.5m from the ground. The signs (pictured above) appear to be widely available on the internet for a few euros if you search for ‘autocollant angles morts’.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Wonder if this will apply to foreign vehicles. I've read on one search result that, because of numerous grey areas, the implementation of fines for not displaying these stickers may be delayed. Sounds a bit like the necessity to carry a breathalyser for which you can't be fined for non-compliance.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Great idea, when overtaking On motorways or dual carriageways I purposefully think about where the blind spot is on the other vehicle. This to me is a good idea

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
They had one about reflective strips on bike helmets, I bought the strips but never fitted them and we haven't been to France with a bike since, I don't know if they're still needed or not.

Reactions: SMB

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
According to some French sites I've looked at, they are only required in 'urban areas'..... wonder how that works, then? :unsure:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
According to some French sites I've looked at, they are only required in 'urban areas'..... wonder how that works, then? :unsure:
Stop at the outskirts and fit..... Pass through and remove at the other side.

I doubt very much it will apply to foreign vehicles in the same way foreign trailers don't have to be registered in country of origin. (unless its for commercial use)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I haven't found motorhomes mentioned specifically on any of the sites I've visited so far but that includes exemptions as well. It appears to be aimed at lorries and buses but hopefully it will be clarified before implementation.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I haven't found motorhomes mentioned specifically on any of the sites I've visited so far but that includes exemptions as well. It appears to be aimed at lorries and buses but hopefully it will be clarified before implementation.
No, seems to be a sweeping generalisation for any vehicle over 3.5t, with specific exceptions, and the arrete doesn't mention visiting vehicles. Being French-registered, I've just ordered 3 stickers for €9.50 delivered from Amazon for my Cheyenne. Much simpler than arguing the toss 🙂

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
No, seems to be a sweeping generalisation for any vehicle over 3.5t, with specific exceptions, and the arrete doesn't mention visiting vehicles. Being French-registered, I've just ordered 3 stickers for €9.50 delivered from Amazon for my Cheyenne. Much simpler than arguing the toss 🙂
I agree and think they are a good idea, might be travelling back through France from Spain in the next couple of months so will be handy to know!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I agree and think they are a good idea, might be travelling back through France from Spain in the next couple of months so will be handy to know!
Yes, but then every country in Europe requires a different design of sticker and different speed limits on. You'll end up with over 100 potentially contradictory stickers.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Yes, but then every country in Europe requires a different design of sticker and different speed limits on. You'll end up with over 100 potentially contradictory stickers.
There doesn't yet seem to be a decision on the final design for the sticker but they do mention that warning stickers designated in other Member States are acceptable:

Vehicles which carry, on the sides and at the rear, a device intended to materialize the presence of blind spots in application of the legislation of another Member State of the European Union, are deemed to comply with the provisions of this order.

Vehicles having been fitted on the sides and at the rear, before March 31, 2021, with a device intended to materialize the presence of blind spots that does not comply with the model set out in the appendix are deemed to comply with the provisions of this decree for a period of time. period of 12 months from the publication of this decree.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Makes you wonder how many cyclists and pedestrians have managed thus far without all these signs.
Nanny State gone mad.
Most survived, realising that passing a massive truck on the left as it turned at a junction was a bad idea, but many hundreds died. The hope is to reduce those hundreds.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Thanks for the heads up, it seems a typically French idea, the first thing that pops into someones head.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Harmonised vehicle regs in the EU, my arse !!

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Most survived, realising that passing a massive truck on the left as it turned at a junction was a bad idea, but many hundreds died. The hope is to reduce those hundreds.
Think your driving on the wrong side. Are you a cyclist?

May 6, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 841
Exp
since 2006
The only exemption is emergency vehicle and ag and forest vehicles.... so motorhomers, yes we will have to have them... so here is translated chapter and and verse of where to stick them!

ARTICLE 2
Motor vehicles and towed vehicles must be marked on the rear of the vehicle, to the right of the longitudinal median plane and at a height of between 0.90 and 1.50 meters from the ground and,
- For motor vehicles: signage in the first front meter of the vehicle, excluding glass surfaces, on the left and right, and at a height between 0.90 and 1.50 meters from the ground.
- For semi-trailers: signage, left and right, in the first meter behind the vehicle's kingpin and at a height between 0.90 and 1.50 meters from the ground.
- For trailers: signage in the first meter of the front body part of the vehicle, on the left and on the right, and at a height between 0.90 and 1.50 meters from the ground
Signs must be placed in such a way that they are visible in all circumstances and so that they cannot obstruct the visibility of the vehicle's regulatory plates and inscriptions, the visibility of the various lights and signaling devices as well as the field of vision. of the driver.

ARTICLE 3
Articulated buses and coaches, as defined in 1.8 of R. 311-1 of the Highway Code, must also have additional signs showing the blind spots on each of the sections making up the articulated vehicle.
These signs will be affixed in the first meter before each section, excluding
glazed surfaces, left and right, and at a height of between 0.90 and 1.50 meters from the ground.

ARTICLE 4
By way of derogation from Article 2, the following provisions apply:
vehicles with more than two doors must be fitted with signs only on the front-most door on each side of the vehicle.
motor vehicles and towed vehicles, for which it is technically impossible to comply with the height requirement of the signage from the ground, are fitted with signs placed at a height as close as possible to that prescribed in article 2 of this decree and within the limit of 2.10 meters.
vehicles equipped with direct vision systems at the bottom of the doors or with glass doors
affix the signs at a distance from the front, overall of the vehicle, as close as possible to that prescribed in Article 2 of this Order and within the limit of 3 meters from the front of the vehicle.
the rear signaling positioning criteria are not applicable to motor vehicles and towed vehicles for which there is a technical impossibility. This is particularly the case with container doors, car carriers, tractors for semi-trailers, tank vehicles, flatbed vehicles, arms for removable skips, dollys. These vehicles must be marked on the rear face in a position compatible with their technical characteristics.
the positioning criteria for side signs are not applicable to towed vehicles for which there is a technical impossibility.
motor vehicles and towed vehicles, for which a structural impossibility is proven, are exempted from affixing side and / or rear signs.

Richard Sale

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Funster No
Great idea, when overtaking On motorways or dual carriageways I purposefully think about where the blind spot is on the other vehicle. This to me is a good idea
Really, not much point of you don’t speak French, I won’t be putting them on, I have not increased the dimensions from a similar moho at 3500kg

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
There doesn't yet seem to be a decision on the final design for the sticker but they do mention that warning stickers designated in other Member States are acceptable:

Vehicles which carry, on the sides and at the rear, a device intended to materialize the presence of blind spots in application of the legislation of another Member State of the European Union, are deemed to comply with the provisions of this order.

Vehicles having been fitted on the sides and at the rear, before March 31, 2021, with a device intended to materialize the presence of blind spots that does not comply with the model set out in the appendix are deemed to comply with the provisions of this decree for a period of time. period of 12 months from the publication of this decree.
There must be a better looking decal than the one the French are proposing, best scan the other UK lot for an alternative.

These are not much better
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 13.55.56.png
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 13.55.27.png
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 13.55.27.png

Last edited:

Richard Sale

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Funster No
Don’t think I will bother assuming we can get away 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.