New E bike (2 Viewers)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Seeing as I need to lose a few (lots) pounds I invested in a new Cube Stereo Pro 140 a couple of weeks back. I’m the wrong side of 50, overweight and not been on a pushbike for about 30 years! :eek:
All I’m going to say is WOW! On my first ride out I managed just under 18 miles. I know that’s peddle assisted miles but I’ve got the bug again! (y) That can only be good.
I started a diet too last week. Bonus.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have a E-bike -that bit of assistance is very welcome when needed.I try to use as ordinary bike but only use power when needed,

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Go and find yourself some proper mountain bike trails. There are a few trail centres about, as well as tracks in most of the bigger parks. Throw yourself at the red routes and you'll be amazed at what a modern mountainbike will cope with... First tip is to check your tyre pressures, they want to be less than 30psi (and about 25psi if you go tubeless). Also, make sure your shoulders and thighs can cope with the front wheel lifts ('manuals'), jolts and drops...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Before I got an e-bike the cycle sat nave kept switching off with message "no movement detected". I was that hopeless going up even a moderate slope at some 18 st and 50+. The e-bike was a revelation. Now happilly pootling around some of the New Forest routes for 3-4 hours with just that little bit of assistance. It's not a cheat as I'm out for a lot longer, and cover so much more distance. I still break a sweat and have to work for it as it's only assistance, it's not an instead of. Indeed if you use the high power setting you'll only get a few miles before the battery dies, and if you do pedal faster than 15mph you have to do it all yourself as the motor is set to be off.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're either side of 65, with me on the "right" side. We bought Cube power assist mountain bikes this time last year and haven't stopped smiling yet. We've done 5,000 km on them in this last year, and none of it was a struggle. We were still riding traditional mountain bikes but they've now been sold.

I can't praise ebikes highly enough. You can put as much effort in as you want or just have an easy ride.

Love them!

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Before I got an e-bike the cycle sat nave kept switching off with message "no movement detected". I was that hopeless going up even a moderate slope at some 18 st and 50+. The e-bike was a revelation. Now happilly pootling around some of the New Forest routes for 3-4 hours with just that little bit of assistance. It's not a cheat as I'm out for a lot longer, and cover so much more distance. I still break a sweat and have to work for it as it's only assistance, it's not an instead of. Indeed if you use the high power setting you'll only get a few miles before the battery dies, and if you do pedal faster than 15mph you have to do it all yourself as the motor is set to be off.

Unless you have the rather expensive de-restrictor fitted! :whistle:

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I've got a Cube Acid 29er.Best thing I bought. Where I live is very hilly. I always struggled to get up the hills due to a dodgy Knee. Now I can go further and not worry about getting home.I averaged 15miles without using hardly any battery. Its good to know I can go a fair distance and enjoy the ride

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We have a pair of haibikes that are electric both have full suspension and we find them amazing, we have just got back from Scotland and we used them loads one day we rode 10 miles into the mountains so 20 mile round trip and we were so high up we would never have walked that far they really have got us back out into the open countryside

Get out there and enjoy it I agree it is not cheating its a bit of a helping hand you needed same as us.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Cube Aim 27.5" that i converted with a rear wheel drive hub Ebike kit... about a month ago... love it!!!

took me about 2 1/2 hours to sort the transfer and pleased to say I saved myself a lump of cash.

wont be going back to "normal bikes " thats for certain

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Now get rid of the electric bit and do it properly, good luck.

I have had mtb for years and I have more fun on my ebikes than I ever did on any of my Scott bikes that were none electric, ebikes are amazing fun

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Good information,,something to look forward to when I get old. BUSBY:D2:D2:D2

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Good information,,something to look forward to when I get old. BUSBY:D2:D2:D2

Busby

You dont need to be old to enjoy ebikes I have just turned 50 and have so much fun on mine, its the next best thing to riding my KTM enduro bike the difference is there are loads of trails to legally go with ebikes.

Look on you tube at some of places people go on them, I have ridden some trails where you would not go on a normal MTB unless you are some sort of super athlete normal riders on normal bikes would not manage it not a chance.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Busby

You dont need to be old to enjoy ebikes I have just turned 50 and have so much fun on mine, its the next best thing to riding my KTM enduro bike the difference is there are loads of trails to legally go with ebikes.

Look on you tube at some of places people go on them, I have ridden some trails where you would not go on a normal MTB unless you are some sort of super athlete normal riders on normal bikes would not manage it not a chance.

Agree. Were riding harder routes than we've ever done, even when we were 20 years younger, and we're now enjoying the riding much more.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Busby

My better half only does tarmac or well surfaced tracks ,We do hills but not mountains, Sounds as if your really enjoying yours.BUSBY(y)(y)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We rode up this mountain in Scotland last week from the loch below in the back ground, we would never have done it on normal bikes as some of the tracks were so steep and loose gravel our bikes even have traction control to help with this terrain, there were a couple of places we had to get off and push but 95% was ridden

IMG-20190413-WA0028.jpg

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Modern mountain bikes are so capable. Stuff that I wouldn't dream of riding in my youth I can now just throw the bike at, and I'll get to the other side. Only issue now is, they are so much faster and can do so much more gnarly ground, you really need at least some basic gloves, elbow and knee protection.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
One nice feature my Cube has is a "walk" function if the terrain gets too steep or slippery. It very cleverly adjusts its speed to the speed you're walking at.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
For all the e-MTB'ers: When passing the sweating, panting manual powered bikes on narrow trails, please be patient. Yes, we have to grind up the steep hill in first and we are slowing you up, we're sorry. Sometimes we don't hear you shoot up behind us because we're too busy blowing a lung, apologies for that. But please don't expect us to leap out of the way and please just don't barge past. Thanks.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
For all the e-MTB'ers: When passing the sweating, panting manual powered bikes on narrow trails, please be patient. Yes, we have to grind up the steep hill in first and we are slowing you up, we're sorry. Sometimes we don't hear you shoot up behind us because we're too busy blowing a lung, apologies for that. But please don't expect us to leap out of the way and please just don't barge past. Thanks.

Time you got yourself an ebike then you wouldn't be in the way and all those rude ebikes wouldn't need to shout at you to move over :whistle:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Time you got yourself an ebike then you wouldn't be in the way and all those rude ebikes wouldn't need to shout at you to move over :whistle:

No, for several reasons:
-My current trail bike is bloody fast and dangerous as it is. An ebike would get me into more trouble.
-At the moment I'm limited by how far and how long I can go by my fitness. If I had an eBike and could go twice as far and ride more extreme stuff, I'd be worried that I'd get bored of the trails around me much more quickly.
-I'm weird. I enjoy the downs, but I enjoy getting up them too. That I got up there under my own steam is rewarding (and I think I'm addicted to the high from lack of oxygen getting to my brain).
-(real reason) I'm too cheap. I can't justify the cost of an ebike that'd survive the abuse that I put my £1k manual trail bike through. At the moment, if I had £2-3k to spend on a bike, I'd get another manual.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have a lad who works for me who has a Scott genius ebike and he is very fast raced a lot this year and came second in the championship only to Sylvain Guintoli the motorbike racer.

He puts his bike through so much punishment and the bike just keeps going it never gives in before he does they are great machines if you like your riding as much as it sounds that you do go and try one you will love it

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I can confirm that crashing an Ebike hurts just as much, if not more, the older you get! :(
Yesterday I was enjoying a very nice ( but still blooming hard work ) ride in Kielder Forest on the Lonesome Pine trail when I ran out of talent! :D2. Off a forest track into a twisty technical section and before I knew it I was looking up at the trees thinking WTF just happened? I know I bounced off two trees before ending up on my back in a hollow shouting “ medic “ and laughing. Seeing as it was only 7:45am luckily there was no one else about to witness my stupidity. :whistle:. Hey ho. My shoulder is killing me but it didn’t stop me doing 27 miles on Holy Isle and surrounding area today. (y)
I’m loving it. Off over Peebles to check out the 2 bike parks there tomorrow.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
My battery ran out on the Easter weekend:

IMG_1367.jpg

I found out how to top up the battery though, it just needed some coffee and pastries at the top.

I may have borrowed my wife's e-bike in the afternoon for the shopping run though.....

And well done to the OP for getting out on his bike !

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
You can add another 2 “offs” to my tally now! :D2. Only low speed tumbles. Good fun. (y)

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Nice to see an ebike community among us
I’m the wrong side of fifty too and love pounding the tracks around me on my volt Bigfoot and when I get around to finding our dream MH it will be getting a carrier fitted if it doesn’t have one and I can get around to sharing some photos while enjoying yours.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Nice to see an ebike community among us
I’m the wrong side of fifty too and love pounding the tracks around me on my volt Bigfoot and when I get around to finding our dream MH it will be getting a carrier fitted if it doesn’t have one and I can get around to sharing some photos while enjoying yours.
Get one on your car! Or get a cheap van, bung a mattress in the back. Jobs a carrot. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back