Netgear MR2100 + Firmware update. (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have a Netgear MR2100 (M2) Router, which when functioning correctly works a treat. It is an unlocked unit, first registered on EE.

Unfortunately, it reboots itself regularly, and research points to the need to update the firmware.
The current available firmware was last dated 2022, but mine is dated 05/2017.
Despite umpteen attempts to update, as well as several factory resets, it keeps telling me that the firmware is up to date. It clearly isn't, and is several versions behind. :(

Does anyone have any experience with the Netgear M1/M2 routers, and can guide me as to how to update it please?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Morning Jock, someone on the above forum/ community may have had the same problem? Might be worth asking there? Dave

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Netgear MR2100 (M2) Router, which when functioning correctly works a treat. It is an unlocked unit, first registered on EE.

Unfortunately, it reboots itself regularly, and research points to the need to update the firmware.
The current available firmware was last dated 2022, but mine is dated 05/2017.
Despite umpteen attempts to update, as well as several factory resets, it keeps telling me that the firmware is up to date. It clearly isn't, and is several versions behind. :(

Does anyone have any experience with the Netgear M1/M2 routers, and can guide me as to how to update it please?

Cheers,

It could be because it was first registered to EE so might have a slight difference to the official firmware thus not allowing you to update.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

Morning Jock, someone on the above forum/ community may have had the same problem? Might be worth asking there? Dave
I did Dave, weeks ago but no one replied. :(

It could be because it was first registered to EE so might have a slight difference to the official firmware thus not allowing you to update.
I too strongly suspect that to be the case Dave. :(

Jock. :(

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Mine was on EE and Ive not had the problems Jock seems to be having.

Could it have been that the power was interrupted when it was updating the software? Or could it be a battery issue that keeps knocking it off? Shame you're not at the Halloween do as you could have tried my battery to at least eliminate that from the culprit.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Mine was on EE and Ive not had the problems Jock seems to be having.

Could it have been that the power was interrupted when it was updating the software? Or could it be a battery issue that keeps knocking it off? Shame you're not at the Halloween do as you could have tried my battery to at least eliminate that from the culprit.
Thanks Dave. 👍 Even without the battery installed, it still reboots itself randomly. Sometimes not for several hours, and at other times, frequently throughout the day. :( Maybe that's why the Funster was selling it. ;)

The EE thing that Ditcha Dave suggested, is mentioned on the Netgear.com forums.

Cheers,

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Try a different Sim if you have one, these unlocked routers do some odd things.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Try a different Sim if you have one, these unlocked routers do some odd things.
Aye, been there and done that last week Dane, with a Vodaphone sim card out the home router, which has worked faultlessly for the past year.
The M2 still kept rebooting itself, and no joy re firmware updates via the Netgear App. :(

Jock. :(

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
have you tried switching it off and back on again ....... ONLY JOKING !!

seriously though, is it possible to take it back to its original firmware and then either leaving it if it works or try updating again from there?

has it been the subject of a few threads on the netgear community forum, or is it just a problem you seem to be having?

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
seriously though, is it possible to take it back to its original firmware and then either leaving it if it works or try updating again from there?
That's what I'd like to know, ie, is there some way of doing that, even if I have to send it off to be done?

has it been the subject of a few threads on the netgear community forum, or is it just a problem you seem to be having?
It has been discussed on the forums, and as always the advice from a Netgear operative, is to update via the App.
I'm getting nowhere by following all the suggestion on there, hence I thought I'd ask on this Web Connections forum.

Cheers,

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Had trouble with my M2 on our recent trip but just put it down to trying a different sim provider than I normally use.
Will have to investigate to see if it’s still playing up now we are back in the UK🤔🤔

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Had trouble with my M2 on our recent trip but just put it down to trying a different sim provider than I normally use.
Will have to investigate to see if it’s still playing up now we are back in the UK🤔🤔
Mark, could you go into settings on your App for me please, to have a look at the date and version of your last firmware upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Is it doing this everywhere Jock?
I'm just wondering if it's having to work hard to find & hold a signal, it might be overheating a tad and shutting down.

Can you actually rollback the firmware to an earlier version?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Other generic fixes - which you may already have tried...
Do a factory reset, start afresh.
Use a different power cable, power adapter - do you have the originals.
Does it have an ethernet socket, can you try that with wifi off [obviously not a permanent solution but might help fault finding]

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Mark, could you go into settings on your App for me please, to have a look at the date and version of your last firmware upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Says it’s up to date Jock but that was 7th September 🤔🤔

D96B9801-2727-41B0-B3DB-CB13BA831197.jpeg

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Is it doing this everywhere Jock?
I'm just wondering if it's having to work hard to find & hold a signal, it might be overheating a tad and shutting down.
It's did it a few minutes ago Stephen after powering up. It currently has no sim card in (so not looking for a signal), as I've had to revert back to my ZTE MiFi. :(

Can you actually rollback the firmware to an earlier version?
Not that I am aware of, however, I think the current firmware was the original.

Other generic fixes - which you may already have tried...
Do a factory reset, start afresh.
Use a different power cable, power adapter - do you have the originals.
Does it have an ethernet socket, can you try that with wifi off [obviously not a permanent solution but might help fault finding]
Yep, done all those thanks Stephen. It reboots with the battery in, battery out, on charge, off charge, sim in, sim out, ethernet connected/disconnected.

Just checked the Netgear forums again looking for my post, and there are even folks with the latest M6 complaining of rebooting, as well as M1 & M2 owners. :(

Cheers,

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock,

Various ways for a factory reset, though depending whether it leaves a "Netgear" factory or an "EE" version, it may not get you any further forward.

Pg 79 of:

Dave
Thanks Dave. :) I have done 2 - 3 factory resets using 192.168.1.1, and the same again via the App. It's the same info that keeps coming up time and time again, telling me that I have the latest firmware version NTGX24_10.13.09.00.

I took my M2 to 2 x different phone repair shops in Stratford Upon Avon, hoping that they might be able to sort it out.
Neither of them had a clue what it was. :doh:

Someone, or some comms tech company must be able to get into the root of the unit, and apply the latest firmware surely?

Cheers,

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Did you ever get to the root of the problem.
Also in another thread you had said about poor internet in Norfolk and wondered if you’ve had a chance to try the m2 in this area and if it was any better.
Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back