NEC show - overnight parking??? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think its necessarily something for nothing Graham as I believe part of the problem is that the CC temporary site gets full, I would say more it's more about the convenience of staying onsite for a reasonable fee and the flexibility to add nights if the show is good, we have been to both Stuttgart and Dusseldorf shows and they organise a "camping area" in the car parks, with Stuttgart show being in January they lay on hook up to the whole area, Stuttgart is €25 pay on arrival and add days as you wish, Dusseldorf a bit less but no electric and needs to be booked as its busy busy.

Martin
No doubt the show organisers could take it upon themselves to organise a larger, more flexible, facility but there would be a cost to that and it would inevitably be passed on to attendees.
I'm not sure that is the major factor though. I've posted previously about staying at Warwick and driving into the show, staring in a B&B rather than take the van and staying at the CC temporary site. The latter wins out when one takes all factors into consideration.
Look back at similar threads from previous years (and this one) and many posts are supporting opening of the car parks to avoid paying anything. Look at how many people use pub car parks and similar unlicensed sites rather than find somewhere which costs them to stay.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes of course there would be a cost Graham and we are happy to pay a sensible amount as are many thousands of units at Dusseldorf and Stuttgart show, of course I can only speak for myself but for me it just improves the experience of going to these shows, at Dusseldorf we have a full day in the show possibly a beer at lunch time or even in the afternoon as the dealers will ply you with alcohol if they think they might get a sale ;) then you get back to your van which has been safely parked up all day, do we really want leave the site along with another 1000 or so vans just to try to find somewhere to park overnight to have to move again in the morning "no thanks" staying onsite at a show like that is what motor homing is all about to me.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Did you not understand Gary doesn't really like motorhomes he totally agrees with us being ripped off for eveythingwhich includes a show that really charges you to shop. I as normal shall give my custom to Stratford leiisure centre 10 pound a night and Tobies carvery cost of a meal. funny how the big clubs cant ripp you off at the warners shows
If when you say Gary you actually mean Graham I have to say that I do not agree with your statement at all and it does a great disservice to the work that Graham has put into trying to provide places to legally park a motorhome.

What he does have a habit of doing though is pointing out the relative rules and laws that the various providers have to abide by to stay legal, not everybody wants to hear this but don't shoot the messenger.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We stayed at the Toby carvery earlier this year. The meal was good ( with enough variety for vegetarian too) they were very relaxed, didn't feel any pressure to buy a meal, but I think it was a very reasonable price.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We live in Chester and personally couldn't think of making the journey anymore difficult than going in the motorhome, it's nothing to do with parking costs but driving in a slower type of vehicle as mentioned previously along with a whole host of motorhomes and caravans.

Why not get the train, no parking costs, no traffic, dropped at the door step perfect solution, ok if you want to have more than one day at the show you need an over nighter but we have never managed a full day never mind two days.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Oct and Feb I see a lot of vans in different carparks that are clearly overnighting. Just being cheeky I guess.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We live in Chester and personally couldn't think of making the journey anymore difficult than going in the motorhome, it's nothing to do with parking costs but driving in a slower type of vehicle as mentioned previously along with a whole host of motorhomes and caravans.

Why not get the train, no parking costs, no traffic, dropped at the door step perfect solution, ok if you want to have more than one day at the show you need an over nighter but we have never managed a full day never mind two days.

for some of us, its not that simple, we would need a train to london first ! so for us it makes sense to go in the motorhome and overnight before and after and we can take the dog and have all the home comforts we paid a lot of money for and we can go at our own pace, subject to roadworks and traffic ...... but im sure the train does have its advantages aswell for some people.

we might also be able to pick up some more cheap astroturf aswell while we are there LOL. not from the NEC but not far away, at £20 per linear metre for a 4m wide piece its very cheap and good quality - a 4m x 3m will only cost us £60 - thats £5 oer square metre !!

its advertised for sale on ebay if anyone is interested?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Did you not understand Gary doesn't really like motorhomes he totally agrees with us being ripped off for eveythingwhich includes a show that really charges you to shop. I as normal shall give my custom to Stratford leiisure centre 10 pound a night and Tobies carvery cost of a meal. funny how the big clubs cant ripp you off at the warners shows
I suppose Gary is entitled to his opinion.
Personally I like motorhomes; it is just some motorhomers that get right on my nerves :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes of course there would be a cost Graham and we are happy to pay a sensible amount as are many thousands of units at Dusseldorf and Stuttgart show, of course I can only speak for myself but for me it just improves the experience of going to these shows, at Dusseldorf we have a full day in the show possibly a beer at lunch time or even in the afternoon as the dealers will ply you with alcohol if they think they might get a sale ;) then you get back to your van which has been safely parked up all day, do we really want leave the site along with another 1000 or so vans just to try to find somewhere to park overnight to have to move again in the morning "no thanks" staying onsite at a show like that is what motor homing is all about to me.

Martin
The convenience is why we preferred to use the CC temporary site when visiting NEC shows. The only organisation which can bring about change, though, is the NEC, which brings us back to my post of yesterday morning :)
Unless the NEC obtains a caravan site licence and runs camping itself then it has to rely on the CC or other exempted organisation to run the site, and that means relying on volunteers (as at present) or employing temporary staff (the cost of which would have to be passed on). The unit cost will depend on the number of people willing to use the facility, which (I suppose) is why it is more viable at the larger continental shows.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
I suppose Gary is entitled to his opinion.
Personally I like motorhomes; it is just some motorhomers that get right on my nerves :D
of course you are Graham (sorry about name change)even if its wrong in mho. (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
ive just signed up to the toby carvery app, so I also get a 25% discount on a main meal if we stay there !!
That's handy (y) Suggest having a back up Toby if another one in area as Stonebridge does get rammed full plus with one local campsite being flooded (cancelled a lot of bookings) could be even more with the same idea.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
That's handy (y) Suggest having a back up Toby if another one in area as Stonebridge does get rammed full plus with one local campsite being flooded (cancelled a lot of bookings) could be even more with the same idea.

i was going to use the toby carvery if Manor Farm at Catthorpe was full - it WAS my stand by /back up LOL

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
i was going to use the toby carvery if Manor Farm at Catthorpe was full - it WAS my stand by /back up LOL
Although in the end we plumped for shustoke reservoir. There are four Van's parked up for the night !!

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Although in the end we plumped for shustoke reservoir. There are four Van's parked up for the night !!
We wont be back here though. Too much road noise throughout the night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back