Nearly six weeks and I still don't have my motorhome (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi. Remember me?

I have previously posted about how I bought a new Auto Sleeper Kingham from Marquis Berkshire (deposit paid 14th Aug, full amount paid 22nd Aug). I won't repeat everything again but suffice to say that I still don't have the vehicle.

Every time I contact Marquis (about ten times over the past weeks) they tell me that they are awaiting the V55 (brand new vehicle registration) from the DVLA. Today I called the DVLA who told me they have no record of the registration request. I immediately called Marquis to find out what's going on.

Turns out the salesperson I dealt with has left. I spoke to another person who was more forthcoming. They have told me that they need to get a code from Peugeot (makers of the base vehicle) which gets sent to the DVLA and that is what they are still waiting for. They only get these codes released to them each Friday. Apparently the person who does that is currently off work. Unbelievable.

The guy I spoke to told me this happens with everyone buying a Peugeot (small comfort) and that I should've been warned (I wasn't). I was told there was nothing they could do other than wait.

I have written to their head office to complain because I find this completely unacceptable. They have £80k of my money and I am paying out for insurance and I don't have my van.

I just don't know what to do any more. I have seriously considered starting a refund process but I really don't want to do that as I have fallen in love with the damn thing and have prepared so much.

It would be bad enough if Marquis were to tell me 'Oh, it'll be another two weeks' or something but they've said they are unable to provide any timeline and are 'in touch with Peugeot every day'. Every week they tell me the same thing, that they hope it will be with them on Friday and then the following Monday they tell me same thing.

I would definitely warn against purchasing from Marquis. This goes beyond bad service.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Typical poor service from Marquis. A bit daft handing over full payment till the van is actually at the dealers. It keeps them keen to get the money
The van is there but they are being arses getting it registered. Personally I would be insisting on delivery by trade plates given the length of the delay.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Wow. I find it hard to believe they made you pay full amount before actually having the van Infront of you ready to go. I've bought new from VW before and they said you only pay balance on collection. And if they didn't meet delivery date you were able to cancel and get deposit back. As they failed to deliver. The deal is with the dealer you bought from regardless of anything else surely. I must be wrong. So sorry your going through the mill on this one. I think I would seek legal representation. Best of luck I think you might need it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Typical poor service from Marquis. A bit daft handing over full payment till the van is actually at the dealers. It keeps them keen to get the money
The van was at the dealers. I spent ages with it before paying them. I was originally told I could drive it away three days after payment cleared so I paid. One day before going to pick it up they told me I couldn't because they didn't have the code.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I had a new motorhome delivered on trade plates after the dealer made a mistake on the registration process. They knew the delays in sorting it all out. Not strictly legal, but at least the van was in my possession. It took 2 weeks after that, then I returned the trade plates.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
The van is there but they are being arses getting it registered. Personally I would be insisting on delivery by trade plates given the length of the delay.
I have requested this. Without a V55 the van cannot be driven on the road, trade plates or otherwise. It was delivered to the dealership on a transporter (it has 8 miles on the clock).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow. I find it hard to believe they made you pay full amount before actually having the van Infront of you ready to go. I've bought new from VW before and they said you only pay balance on collection. And if they didn't meet delivery date you were able to cancel and get deposit back. As they failed to deliver. The deal is with the dealer you bought from regardless of anything else surely. I must be wrong. So sorry your going through the mill on this one. I think I would seek legal representation. Best of luck I think you might need it.
The van was always at the dealership. I went to see it three times before paying. I had a date to collect it (just days after I made the full payment) and they cancelled it at the last minute because they didn't have the codes from Peugeot.

Upvote 0

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Must be a new thing as our Peugeot bought new quite a few years ago did not have that issue.
Sue

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have requested this. Without a V55 the van cannot be driven on the road, trade plates or otherwise. It was delivered to the dealership on a transporter (it has 8 miles on the clock).
As they are a large organization, I would ask, as a sign of goodwill, they should give you a loan vehicle, foc, until yours can be delivered.
After all, it is them that is accruing interest on your money each day, not you.

PS. I'm surprised that a finished vehicle could leave the factory without some form of registration?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
As they are a large organization, I would ask, as a sign of goodwill, they should give you a loan vehicle, foc, until yours can be delivered.
After all, it is them that is accruing interest on your money each day, not you.

PS. I'm surprised that a finished vehicle could leave the factory without some form of registration?
I don't want to find myself in a position where I am answering questions on their bad service(!!) but from what I understand, the vehicles are transported to the dealership so that they have something to display. This vehicle had only been with them a couple of days when I first saw it. You're right, though. They should get everything done and dusted before showing it - or AT LEAST tell me when I bought it that there would be a delay. It's that lack of transparency that really annoys me. Makes me feel like I was tricked by a salesperson.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Sadly Marquis have been mentioned before for various problems. We once visited them and them and they would let us see any vehicle on their sales list. If we wanted to buy it. They sound too good to be true. So we did not buy from them.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Absolute nonsense and a pack of lies. There are vehicles being driven up and down the country right now unregistered and on trade plates.
I’ve done it myself and been given travelling money and hitched hiked home to make a bit extra. You must have seen lads and lasses waving a thumb with trade plates in their hand?

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So why can't you have it delivered on a transporter?

That certainly is an option - although I haven't actually asked yet. It would be rather difficult given where I live.
One of Chasers better ideas ;)

I'd phone them right now and tell them you have a transporter to pick it up on Monday morning. You should be able to get a good read on where they are really at from their response.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Easier to look after cash over the winter than a Motorhome, ;) and come the spring, your wonga will buy more motorhome, especially if you go the someone else has done the depreciating value for you.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012

V5's aren't generated until a number plate is selected for the vehicle, this is done at the dealership either by them, the prospective new owner or the finance company.
I don't understand it as these codes are generated when pre ordered and input into the production line as they help the robots know what they're constructing. The code is also more important for skeletal chassis' as they're subject to JIT production rather than stock. The code along with the Vin number, colour code etc are on large stickers affixed to the windscreen before leaving the factory and loading onto the PCTC's.

It's confusing as Trigano/Autosleeper will also need the code for type approval.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ive commented on this saga before, finally I have a V5 for my vehicle. To summarise purchased 18/8, told by dealer - DVLA paperwork had been submitted. Drove off but was unhappy with situation after reading some of the stories on MHF, assured by dealer it was OK to use. Emailled DVLA to query situation to be told on 12/9 vehicle is being registered today and it was OK to use. 14/9 received paperwork Certificate of Conformity (this may be the code your company are quoting) etc from DVLA but no V5, vehicle was now showing on DVLA website. 18/9 V5 received showing vehicle as being registered on 18/8 and taxed until 01/08/24.
I may have been fortunate, however if I had of been prosecuted for using the vehicle on the road from 18/8 it would have been an interesting day in court when I produced evidence showing that the vehicle was registered/taxed and insured.
Good luck with your ongoing troubles.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

New vehicles aren't registered until they are sold. Otherwise you would be the 2nd owner and the vehicle wouldn't be 'new' anymore. It would sit on the forecourt becoming older and older. It's the only way you can drive away with a brand new vehicle. Ideally registered the day you drive it away.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I was also in a similar situation but fortunately blissfully unaware until I had already driven it home and gone on my first trip. I was only aware when I chcked the DVLA website and found it wasn't on there. Then I rang DVLA and they said they had returned the cheque to the dealer as it was the wrong amount.

Took 6 weeks to appear in which time I enjoyed using the van!!!

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
New vehicles aren't registered until they are sold. Otherwise you would be the 2nd owner and the vehicle wouldn't be 'new' anymore. It would sit on the forecourt becoming older and older. It's the only way you can drive away with a brand new vehicle. Ideally registered the day you drive it away.
Not being pedantic, but some motorcycle are pre-registered to boost sales figures.
I've bought a few like that at big discount with letter from dealer saying I'd really bought a new bike.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Not being pedantic, but some motorcycle are pre-registered to boost sales figures.
I've bought a few like that at big discount with letter from dealer saying I'd really bought a new bike.

True, but if you were buying a 'brand new' vehicle you would expect it to be registered to you roughly around the time you bought it.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Without a V55 the van cannot be driven on the road, trade plates or otherwise.
As said they are lying to you.
Here; last line & under "who can use/apply for trade plates"
https://www.blueschoolofmotoring.com/blog/2021/03/19/trade-number-plate-laws-in-the-uk/
A motor trader may need to move a vehicle from one place to another on public roads such as when delivering a vehicle to a customer, but they are also used to test drive untaxed or unregistered vehicles on the road.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back