Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
it's time to pick the funsters brains again.

I'm going to start planning my NC 500 tour for June now Xmas is almost over and would like to gather as much info on the below.

Best way around, east west or west east etc.

Places to avoid motorhome is 7.6 with a good size overhang.

Places you must see.

Wild camping spots.

Small cl type sites.

Good pubs with grub.

Fuel stations.

Avoiding the midges.

We will also have two very energetic spaniels, so dog walking is a must.

Anything else you can think of basically.

Best wishes Alan & Michelle

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I’ll start with saying East, West, to my mind you get the better views on the way home. Ducks down for flack. :xsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We too will be interested in this thread as we will also be doing it in June, preceeded by a few days in Edinburgh.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

I posted this some time ago, but perhaps it'll help you on your trip.

I know its hard to believe (especially as its snowing here in Scotland. April 16th) but, its nearly the Midge season. So many people ask how to deal with them that I thought I'd try to help avoid the biting little critters.

1/ Right to start with, Midge's usually make their appearance in mid May. They appear on most evening's in Scotland & northern England. The Lake district also has more than its fair share. The population peaks from July to September, they can carry on biting until October or even November but the first decent nip of winter frost finally puts an end to their season.

2/ Midge's are at their worst on a damp but warm evenings, this also applies on damp or drizzly warm summers days. On a dry but sunny day, they'll start biting at about 8-9 pm until 7am ish in mid summer.

3/ Avon skin so soft helps to deter them but, only up to a certain point. Jungle formula insect repentant is probably the best defence. Eating garlic food is another option, as is pinning a sprig of bog-myrtle to your clothes. Repellents won't stop Midge's swarming around you & this can be almost as unpleasant as the bites..

4/ Some people appear to be a lot more attractive to midge's than others! If you are the person that they want to bite, then they'll have you regardless of insect replants. Lactic acid is present in human sweat & is irresistible to Midge's. Some people (me included) react very badly to the bite of Midge's. An anti-histamine is a handy addition to the medicine chest but, prevention is better than cure.
When they've identified a feeding site...YOU, Midge's emit pheromones to call others Midge's. Male Midge's are quite a bit bigger than the females which are smaller than a pinhead. Midge's are so numerous that they can form clouds that are impossible to see through! The good news is that it's only the pregnant females, on the hunt for protein, who bite. They prefer the blood of cattle to humans, but Midge's will not differentiate between holidaymakers & cattle, any port in a storm.

5/ When its dark Midge's are attracted to bright lights & the carbon dioxide on your breath. If you must go out after dark then its best to distract them. The midge isn't most clever of insects but, your laying a big red carpet out by leaving your awning light on. I find that switching on an interior bright light on the same side of your motorhome well away from the door but, putting your awning light off as well as all visible (from the door) lights inside your motorhome draws them away from the door.

6/ Insect nets do not work in keeping midge's out, especially if you have lights on in your Motorhome. Even with the windows open a tiny bit the midge's will get in. Sleep with the windows shut or you will be bitten.

7/ Shaded valley's can hold cool damp air & be a haven for Midge's. Large tree's with lots of foliage also act as Midge paradise. So if you give your dog a bedtime walk in wooded area's your pretty well guaranteed to be bitten.

8/ Ordinary fly spray sprayed lightly onto your curtains can act as a powerful deterrent to Midge's. Now if you've brought or attracted the critters inside your motorhome, put just one bright light on & all other lights off, this will attract them to one area making them easier to deal with. Fly spray will kill them quickly but, if you prefer a non chemical solution, a wet cloth is best dabbed onto the area that you've brought the Midge's to.

9/ Some camp sites use Midge catching machines which burn Calor gas & these are amazingly effective. Citronella candles can help if your wild camping. There are some Midge eating machines that are available. at £629 for a unit for commercial use and £429 for the domestic-sized cylinder, the Midgeater - to be placed outdoors at the beginning of the midge season - is an expensive way of counteracting the menace. I "borrowed" this advice from elsewhere. There's a host of other anti-midge paraphernalia available, too, including anti-midge hat nets, midge body suits and midge netting designed to cover the entrance to tents.

10/ There is a dedicated website which gives a 5 day Midge "weather forecast" just click on this link

I might add advice to this posting as & when I remember, my brain sin't what it used to be. I really hope that this advice & information helps Funsters that are planning a northern visit. A lot of this advice also applies to Mosquitoes but the mossy nets on your motorhome should work as Mosquitoes are a lot larger than midge's.

Please feel free to add information to this posting, all assistance should be gratefully received.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Just avoid the Pass o’Cattle (to/from Applecross) and use the coastal route. You’ll be fine on all of the other roads.

Others might advocate that you should go for it but there are so many variables that can influence the level of success/stress.

There are loads of threads on the NC500: pop that into the search box and it’ll keep you busy for a while!

Ian

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I did it in October in an 8.5 metre tag axle
I've done it many many times from both sides the west is definately the nicest but there's also lots more to explore on that side especially if your just using the 500 as a guide and want to drift off it here and there to see better parts of the country.
I went east to west in October and did 1870 miles in total starting from Fife up east coast to Aberdeen then along to Inverness and then followed the coast up all the way to dunnet head but then I cut back down for a while and went off the beaten track to climb Ben hope etc.
I also managed the pass of the cattle ( bealach na ba) with no problems and my van sits low with a considerable overhang.
I then cut over on to Skye for a few days

I took 18 days doing it on that occasion

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We did it a couple of years ago clockwise / west to east in June, if we were to do so again it would be anti clockwise / east to west. We also did the Applecross pass which was quite entertaining. ;) I think the only serious midge action we had was at Loch Lomond on the way home, they were very keen and I bravely ran away...

Last edited:

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We did part of it in May last year going west to east, but in our Mustang on its inaugural trip before taking it to the Pyrenees (we don't have a van yet), Applecross pass first thing in the morning, the TSB van was ahead of us, and various other vehicles behind us including a motorhome - got stuck for about 45 mins due to part of the road being missing and the work crew were repairing it, we all inched our way across the gap driving on over large road signs - each vehicle was carefully positioned to make sure that we didn't slip off one side or the other! :)

Didn't stop at the free car park as it was totally rammed, but carried on to the Applecross Walled Garden restaurant for lunch and it was one of the best meals we had.

No midges at all for us, the weather was glorious and we really enjoyed the whole trip.

I did a write-up for the trip on the Mustang forum - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54319

I'd definitely like to go again when we get our van, but we'll go east to west next time.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We did part of it in May last year going west to east, but in our Mustang on its inaugural trip before taking it to the Pyrenees (we don't have a van yet), Applecross pass first thing in the morning, the TSB van was ahead of us, and various other vehicles behind us including a motorhome - got stuck for about 45 mins due to part of the road being missing and the work crew were repairing it, we all inched our way across the gap driving on over large road signs - each vehicle was carefully positioned to make sure that we didn't slip off one side or the other! :)

Didn't stop at the free car park as it was totally rammed, but carried on to the Applecross Walled Garden restaurant for lunch and it was one of the best meals we had.

No midges at all for us, the weather was glorious and we really enjoyed the whole trip.

I did a write-up for the trip on the Mustang forum - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54319

I'd definitely like to go again when we get our van, but we'll go east to west next time.
It's a shame you got stuck .....would have been an awesome drive if youd had a clear run in the mustang

I did it in an mx5 softop one year it was great drifting round most of the bends:)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There's a good fb site called nc500.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We have done it a couple of times with a 7.7mtr MH. I personally prefer to go anti-clockwise for a few reasons.
Most do it clockwise so the road is less crowded and less chance of having those that cannot understand single track roads have many passing places that accommodate one vehicle and not two or three.
The views are progressively more impressive as you get to the West side.
The Applecross pass from the village across the mountains is much easier than inbound as the tight hairpins are downhill with amazing views. That said the first two miles out of the village have some of the smallest passing places so you have to look well ahead and wait for any cars coming down.
Lots of places to wildcamp and plenty of dog walking on beaches.
Top up fuel whenever you get close to half a tank and you should have no worries.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
One thing is for sure you won't struggle to find wildspots....i didn't use one campsite

That said doing it in summer will be different

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Our plan is to have a few days in Edinburgh, before making our way up to Inverness for the anti-clockwise route.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Our plan is to have a few days in Edinburgh, before making our way up to Inverness for the anti-clockwise route.
You should head to Stirling from Edinburgh then head up through trossschs and then follow a82 through glencoe to fort William then from fort William to Inverness and start the nc500

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back