Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
WARNING - WARNING!!!
If you're planning on doing the NC500 I'd do it NOW - I reckon it will be hell this summer:
Part of an article copied from Ross-shire Journal today:-

THE North Coast 500 is set to star on TV screens across the globe this week ¬– when The Grand Tour’s new series hits Amazon Prime’s streaming service.
The blockbuster driving show hosted by former Top Gear trio Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May returns to screens on Friday.
And the 516-mile circuit of the North Coast 500 will feature in the new run after the trio were filmed during their travels round it last spring.
Indeed, the route is likely to be one of the highlights of the new series – after a segment of the trio driving across the Kylesku Bridge in an Alfa Romeo GTV6, Lancia Gamma Coupe and a Fiat X119 featured prominently in the trailer.
Plenty of other Inverness-shire, Ross-shire, Sutherland and Caithness locations are also expected to feature, with Tain, Invergordon, Inverness and Golspie among the numerous locations where people spotting the trio filming segments for the show.
The latter’s Littleferry race track is also expected to feature at some point too.
Business figures are predicting a boost to the North Coast 500’s global profile as a result of its appearance in the lastest series.​

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The old adage , "Be careful what you wish for " seems well proven here :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Did it last years out of school holidays in May no problems and good weather!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
You could always do it the wrong way round, not so much traffic then!(n)

Appollo51

Free Member
Dec 29, 2018
Porth
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for warning was going in May. Might do western isles instead .just as nice it seems .hopefully Clarkson and his cronies will stay from there !!

Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
Oh dear, me & a friend (maybe others) are doing it in May...try & get there before the rush...any advice welcomed...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for warning was going in May. Might do western isles instead .just as nice it seems .hopefully Clarkson and his cronies will stay from there !!

The Western Isles are so much nicer. Might see you out there in May.

BigStevie

Free Member
Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
Since I was a lad
It certainly is going to be busy! Driving between Bettyhill and Tongue today (about 13 miles) I encountered seventeen mohos!
For the first time ever we had mohos about over xmas and new years...

Stevie

BigStevie

Free Member
Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
Since I was a lad
I should also add that the Isle of Skye is can only be described as 'mental' now, never seen a place so busy, all year!

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Don't be sheep, just do your own thing and in your own time. I personally couldn't think of anything worse than all those crowded roads...not what I go to Scotland every year for. I have covered all of the said route, but not in one go - over several years in fact. We are going again this year, but it will be on our terms and at our pace. ;)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Actually I find the worst thing is just how many car tourists from abroad don't get the "driving on the left" thing. So many near misses from going round a bend and seeing a car coming straight at you - and I'm not talking about single-track roads.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is anyone else of the same opinion as me that the introduction of the NC500 has probably spoiled one of the nicest touring areas in the UK? Like many others we've toured most of the route but cannot see how it can cope with the reported influx of tourists. As far as I know there has been no investment in more facilities such as parking, campsites etc although there seems to be a lot of money spent on advertising it! Have also heard vague rumblings from "locals" too.

We were planning to travel with friends in a caravan who have never been to Scotland but now having a bit of a rethink, certainly not attempting it in July/August!

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Is anyone else of the same opinion as me that the introduction of the NC500 has probably spoiled one of the nicest touring areas in the UK?
Yes... but it was "designed" for car touring, using B&B's en route. Never designed for, or anticipated, the m/h crowd.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Thank goodness we did it in 2016 :)
Glad we've lived near Thurso for 12 years ( 27 years ago ! ) and toured the 500 many times for our holidays long before it became a cult ! And when it was quiet beautiful and quiet

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
'Is anyone else of the same opinion as me that the introduction of the NC500 has probably spoiled one of the nicest touring areas in the UK?'

Absolutely it has. Us, we will be using less traveled roads, and be keeping away from the manning crowds. Not for us this commercial route.

BigStevie

Free Member
Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
Since I was a lad
There has been some investment, just not enough. There's been grant money around (up to £25k) for up-grading and expanding existing camp-sites, hobbits etc.
But since the local authority cut backs, tourist offices have been closed (the one just north of the Kessock bridge by Inverness is now a bakers...). Together with a couple of local shops going under, it hasn't helped.
Lots of police traffic activity going on, we usually don't see any traffic cars this far north, the villages are being targeted by patrol vehicles with mobile speed cameras (good thing too) to help enforce the 20 and 30 mph limits.
Stunning day here today, a bit cool, but glorious!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back